Assuming Byrd is our FS...

With Byrd playing "center field," I think the strong safety's main priority will be stopping the run. Therefore, if Whitner is not as good a tackler/ run stopper, could he possibly end up not starting this year because of Scott? Whitner just doesnt seem to fit at either S position and I remember several times last year when Scott played really stout against the run. Thoughts? What a shame it would be if our number 8 overall pick didnt even start....

Andrew

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Scott looked really good agaisnt the run in the past, but I dont think you will see him unseat Whitner. That may be solely because he was the 8th overall pick. Hopefully our front 7 can be good enough to stop the run without a safety in the box, but probably not.

I liked the idea of Whitner at FS giving him the chance to make some plays. I think you bring up a valid point but simply can't see Scott starting over Whitner. Scott may be equal to Whitner in terms of stopping the run, but Whitner is the better overall player.

I'm hoping this was due to the shoulder problems: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuh6G7MVsOQ

Ouch.

With Byrd playing "center field," I think the strong safety's main priority will be stopping the run. Therefore, if Whitner is not as good a tackler/ run stopper, could he possibly end up not starting this year because of Scott? Whitner just doesnt seem to fit at either S position and I remember several times last year when Scott played really stout against the run. Thoughts? What a shame it would be if our number 8 overall pick didnt even start....

Andrew

I don't disagree, I think Scott showed he was better against the run last year the Donte however I think Whitner starts the year at FS. I doubt we will see Byrd starting early in the year. If Byrd show's up though and it's hard to keep him off the field, well then I'm thinking Donte may be the odd man out.

Hopefully when he's healthy hell be make more plays. Is it just me or does he seem "little" out there. Not very tall, not very strong, and without great ballhawk skills. I'm being a little pessimitic, but Im ready for Donte to step forward this year and make some game changing plays.

Andrew

Hopefully when he's healthy hell be make more plays. Is it just me or does he seem "little" out there. Not very tall, not very strong, and without great ballhawk skills. I'm being a little pessimitic, but Im ready for Donte to step forward this year and make some game changing plays.

Andrew

Donte is Donte's biggest fan. He speaks up like a leader and I like that about him, however he is an average SS and going in to year 4 it's time for him to put up or shut up.

I just don't understand why Scott shouldn't be on the field. He is the best run defender we've got in the secondary, and watching him shut down two of the greatest tight ends this game has seen in Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez, one on one all game long, and also Kellen Winslow, he is extremely important in pass coverage also. There is NO ONE in this league that has been able to shut down TEs like he has. I don't understand how he shouldn't be playing.

Additional question...what happened to Ko Simpson?? There was so much optimism about him after his rookie campaign. Was he just miserable out there last year? The coaching must have zero faith in him, otherwise why would they draft Byrd?

Andrew

Good Lord, get over it.

Whitner only gets sh*t because he's a first-rounder. He may not be a superstar but he's a very solid player and will start every game he's healthy. Get over your first-round expectations and be thankful we don't have worry about his position.

Good Lord, get over it.

Whitner only gets sh*t because he's a first-rounder. He may not be a superstar but he's a very solid player and will start every game he's healthy. Get over your first-round expectations and be thankful we don't have worry about his position.

So we shouldn't upgrade a player who is just "solid" as you put it? Solid is good but a team of solid players is mediocre especially if your defensive "leader" is just solid.

Good Lord, get over it.

Can you explain what he does that warrants him "starting every game he's healthy", what does he do that is so great? We've seen everyone who's rotated in the safety spots make plays. Scott has made plays, Wilson has made plays, even Simpson has made plays. Whitner does nothing.

I just don't understand why Scott shouldn't be on the field. He is the best run defender we've got in the secondary, and watching him shut down two of the greatest tight ends this game has seen in Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez, one on one all game long, and also Kellen Winslow, he is extremely important in pass coverage also. There is NO ONE in this league that has been able to shut down TEs like he has. I don't understand how he shouldn't be playing.

I definitely think he will be used a lot. My guess is that to begin the year, Whitner and Scott will be the starting safety's. If Byrd cracks the starting lineup, which I believe we all want him too, then the two starting safety's will be Whitner and Byrd. There are lots of defensive formations the Bills could use all three of them out on the field at the same time. 3 safety's out on the field at the same time is not uncommon.

As well as Scott played last year, I have total confidence that he can get the job done again. He should receive lots of playing time.

Not even close.

GO BILLS!!!

Andrew

Whitner would be the SS. The only reason they moved him over too free saftey is becuase they felt he was the best option at FS and they had servicable talent for the SS postition. But if Byrd can turn into the FS they are hoping for then that Moves Whitner back to the SS spot and noone is unseating him. His issue last season was is seperated shoulder. I know alot of you laughed and made fun of him being knocked on his a$$ by sammy morris but it was is seperated shoulder that morris hit and reinjured even more. Whitner is tough and can play injured.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuh6G7MVsOQ

I couldn't agree with you more. Scott was great last year and the bottom line is that he out-performed whitner. I don't care if whitner is bad, ok, or great. Scott was better. He proved it last season.

And can someone explain what whitner has done in this league besides run his mouth and update his facebook status? He just isn't that good. There is no reason to believe he is the player they thought he would be. He has proved nothing in his three years in the league.

And can someone explain what whitner has done in this league besides run his mouth and update his facebook status? He just isn't that good. There is no reason to believe he is the player they thought he would be. He has proved nothing in his three years in the league.

He is his biggest fan and may one day have a future in politics. He has quite a few people fooled about what he brings to the table. Well Donte, it's year 4 and your stats and on field play are average. I don't want to sound too harsh because I like the guy, I just think he should run for office instead of in front of Sammy Morris.