Built to compete in the east.

Buffalo is preparing this team to compete realistically with all the other teams in the AFC east. They got killed by the 3-4 noseguards in the division hence getting rid off all three interior offensive linemen. Yeah Butler did suck also and his days as a guard are just about over in Buffalo. The additions of TO and Rhodes was all about the points. Proven Pros. This is a very good mix of young hardworking talent and exp pros. If Edwards gets it right this year this team will compete with anybody. There is a new attitude in Buffalo, soft players (Dockery) and malcontents (Peters) will not be tolerated. They will not go winless in the division this year. People are going to talk about this draft and the players that they brought in for 2009 as the turning point, the start of a new dynasty. I will go out on a limb now and say Russ Brandon is the executive of the year for the way he is turning around this team. Mental toughness and desire to play football are the kind of players that he is going out and aquiring. The mentaly soft Bills who fold like a lawn chair are not going to be on the field this year. I cannot wait till the season opener. Whipping Billy boy and uncle Tom on national TV is going to be a great feeling.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with most of what you've said with two caveats. First, Brad Butler was probably our best offensive lineman last year. Butler was a very good OL player who is being rewarded by being moved to RT, a tougher position that requires more skill. If he was so terrible the team wouldn't be moving him, and frankly, watch the game film. He rarely gets beat in pass protection on the inside, and he is one of our best run blockers. Also, I'm not ready to anoint this draft class as a group of saviors. I am happy at the needs the team has addressed and think that on paper these guys have a lot of potential. Snap judgments are easy, though, and I want to see how our new OL comes together during those five preseason games. I do think Brandon has done a very good job the last two years in starting to make this team better, and he and the FO deserve credit for that, but lets see how those picks translate to the NFL in terms of their play.

Buffalo is preparing this team to compete realistically with all the other teams in the AFC east. They got killed by the 3-4 noseguards in the division hence getting rid off all three interior offensive linemen. Yeah Butler did suck also and his days as a guard are just about over in Buffalo. The additions of TO and Rhodes was all about the points. Proven Pros. This is a very good mix of young hardworking talent and exp pros. If Edwards gets it right this year this team will compete with anybody. There is a new attitude in Buffalo, soft players (Dockery) and malcontents (Peters) will not be tolerated. They will not go winless in the division this year. People are going to talk about this draft and the players that they brought in for 2009 as the turning point, the start of a new dynasty. I will go out on a limb now and say Russ Brandon is the executive of the year for the way he is turning around this team. Mental toughness and desire to play football are the kind of players that he is going out and aquiring. The mentaly soft Bills who fold like a lawn chair are not going to be on the field this year. I cannot wait till the season opener. Whipping Billy boy and uncle Tom on national TV is going to be a great feeling.

If the new guys play well this year then next year should be ripper. As Levy said, the best rookies are last years draft class. (Or sumpin like adat?)

This idea that because Butler played RT in college that he can play in the pros is wishful thinking. Many college tackles kick inside because opposing DE's are faster and stronger.

As for the Bills competing in the AFCE, that also remains to be seen. One thing the Bills do quite a bit of is making cosmetic changes that casual uniformed fans think will make a difference in the W column. TO is a nice addition, but Rhodes averaged 3.5 ypc. But because casual fans recognize his name from Indianapolis, it's a good move. He's 30 and that number does not bode well for RB's.

The talk about the 2009 draft being a turning point also is premature. This type of discussion was tabled after Marv's first draft in 06. While that wasn't a complete failure, it hasn't set the foundation some fans thought it would be.

This idea that because Butler played RT in college that he can play in the pros is wishful thinking. Many college tackles kick inside because opposing DE's are faster and stronger.

As for the Bills competing in the AFCE, that also remains to be seen. One thing the Bills do quite a bit of is making cosmetic changes that casual uniformed fans think will make a difference in the W column. TO is a nice addition, but Rhodes averaged 3.5 ypc. But because casual fans recognize his name from Indianapolis, it's a good move. He's 30 and that number does not bode well for RB's.

The talk about the 2009 draft being a turning point also is premature. This type of discussion was tabled a

fter Marv's first draft in 06. While that wasn't a complete failure, it hasn't set the foundation some fans thought it would be.

But Butler has been in the NFL for three seasons now....and started multiple games....He is not a college player anymore...

The Jets went 1-4 in the final 5 games including a gift wrapped win by Losman....Now they will have a rookie QB...

The Fins did play very well on defense last year...but this year will be more tough...there offense will get exposed this year.

The Patriots are still the elite of the division and I do not see that change this season...However, the Bills are on par with the Fish and Jets or may be even better.

The talk about the 2009 draft being a turning point also is premature. This type of discussion was tabled after Marv's first draft in 06. While that wasn't a complete failure, it hasn't set the foundation some fans thought it would be.

Butler was actually an excellent RT in college at UVa. Had Ferguson not been there, Butler may have been their starting LT at the time. That being said, Butler was one of our best OL last year both in run and pass situations. He can handle the RT role for this team in the NFL. Nothing anyone has said about him suggests that he can't, and everything I've seen from him both in college and with the Bills leads me to the conclusion that he will be very good at the RT position. He'll never be an LT in the NFL, but at RT, he's a good fit for this team.

Rhodes is the third string running back, whether he wants to admit it or not. For a third string running back 3.5ypc is pretty good. Our RB corps as a whole is solid, especially once Lynch returns. Keep in mind, also, that if the Bills go to a no-huddle style offense, Rhodes becomes an even more valuable addition to the team, as he played in that offense in Indy. He will be very useful in acclimating the other RBs to the system.

No one should be claiming that this draft was the one that sets the tone going forward. I like that the team has addressed important areas of need, but to what extent, we'll have to wait and see. These guys haven't taken a snap yet. However, there is no question that the Bills have needed to address the lines for years and haven't done so until this draft. Let's hope this works out.

MANY OT's in College start their NFL career at Guard, then move back to tackle after getting some seasoning. Ogden was one such player & he is a PRETTY GOOD NFL OT.

I agree with most of what you've said with two caveats. First, Brad Butler was probably our best offensive lineman last year. Butler was a very good OL player who is being rewarded by being moved to RT, a tougher position that requires more skill. If he was so terrible the team wouldn't be moving him, and frankly, watch the game film. He rarely gets beat in pass protection on the inside, and he is one of our best run blockers. Also, I'm not ready to anoint this draft class as a group of saviors. I am happy at the needs the team has addressed and think that on paper these guys have a lot of potential. Snap judgments are easy, though, and I want to see how our new OL comes together during those five preseason games. I do think Brandon has done a very good job the last two years in starting to make this team better, and he and the FO deserve credit for that, but lets see how those picks translate to the NFL in terms of their play.

I think Langston Walker was by far and away our best lineman. I am not sure Butler will win the tackle job either. If he does though I will route for him.

I think Langston Walker was by far and away our best lineman. I am not sure Butler will win the tackle job either. If he does though I will route for him.

I believe it was arguable which of Walker and Butler was the better OL last year. Either way, the right side was far and away better than the left. That being said, nothing about Butler's game suggests the he won't be successful as an RT. In fact his play, experience, history, and measureables all suggest the opposite, that he will be very successful at the position. I won't discuss why again, as I already posted that above. Butler is going to be the starting RT.

But Butler has been in the NFL for three seasons now....and started multiple games....He is not a college player anymore...

The Jets went 1-4 in the final 5 games including a gift wrapped win by Losman....Now they will have a rookie QB...

The Fins did play very well on defense last year...but this year will be more tough...there offense will get exposed this year.

The Patriots are still the elite of the division and I do not see that change this season...However, the Bills are on par with the Fish and Jets or may be even better.

A player's skill set does not change after three years in the league. College OT's do not kick inside to OG and back to OT with ease. Butler works hard, but if he wasn't good enough to play RT in 07 (hence the LW signing), why is he good enough now?

MANY OT's in College start their NFL career at Guard, then move back to tackle after getting some seasoning. Ogden was one such player & he is a PRETTY GOOD NFL OT.

You did not include Brad Butler and a certain HOF'er in the same thought process, did you?

I think a lot of the above is overly optimistic, but we were never reallly that far behind our AFC East rivals. If it weren't for Trent's injury and some inexplicable play calling during some close games - -who knows. All I am saying is that we were close, we have made a lot of changes, and on paper those changes look good but it all has to come together rather quickly.

I agree that this team has the talent, now, to be competitive, if the rookies are as good as advertised. I think given a proven coach and system you'd see a playoff team, and no one in the media or nfl circles would question it. The weakest link here, now, imo, is the coaching. Can they put together the right game plans, can they prepare their players mentally and physically - can we get back our home field advantage, especially in the winter - those questions are the hinges on which this season hangs, and trent's play, of course. And as for Dynasty, I'd like to just know the Bills will be in Buffalo for another ten years before we start on the Dynasty talk.

Hmm, I have to respectfully disagree with your post, Vet.

In Para 1, your talk about Butler, at 6'7", 315, the man is absolutely built for a T position rather than G. Furthermore, his coaches, from college to pro see him as a natural Tackle.

Then when you talked about Rhodes you mentioned his low ypc; yeah, but what about his whopping 45 pass receptions and 9 TD's? Pretty impressive stuff.

Point out some good with the bad!

A player's skill set does not change after three years in the league.

Experience and savvy do, however.

Even highly-rated OL draft choices often slide inside / flip sides early in their carrers as they get used to the speed of the game. Butler has more movement skills than any OT on the roster right now, and has enough experience to slide back outside. The only downside I see is that he's still a bit lean cut to play on the right side, but I don't see him as a bad option at this point (especially if they do go no huddle for a substantial percentage of snaps).