Built to compete in the east.

Would you rate Joseph Addai a good running back? I think most people who know football and even the "casual" one's would say yes. You want to take a guess what he did last year? 155 rushes for 544 yards. Y

The fact that Indianapolis had injuries to Saturday their All-Pro OC, and both starting guard Ryan Lilja and Mike Pollak had injuries as well. Those three guys made up their starting interior OL, so of course the RB isn't going to have as much success. Addai also had injuries that took him out of games, hence the 155 carries.

That's a good point, and that is what they are planning on doing with Jason Smith who btw was the #2 overall pick in this years draft.

Jason Smith is a converted college TE. Obviously playing RT is less challenging than left for a right handed QB, thus the move to RT before getting the tougher assignment.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo is preparing this team to compete realistically with all the other teams in the AFC east. They got killed by the 3-4 noseguards in the division hence getting rid off all three interior offensive linemen. Yeah Butler did suck also and his days as a guard are just about over in Buffalo. The additions of TO and Rhodes was all about the points. Proven Pros. This is a very good mix of young hardworking talent and exp pros. If Edwards gets it right this year this team will compete with anybody. There is a new attitude in Buffalo, soft players (Dockery) and malcontents (Peters) will not be tolerated. They will not go winless in the division this year. People are going to talk about this draft and the players that they brought in for 2009 as the turning point, the start of a new dynasty. I will go out on a limb now and say Russ Brandon is the executive of the year for the way he is turning around this team. Mental toughness and desire to play football are the kind of players that he is going out and aquiring. The mentaly soft Bills who fold like a lawn chair are not going to be on the field this year. I cannot wait till the season opener. Whipping Billy boy and uncle Tom on national TV is going to be a great feeling.

Commendable assessment.

However..... I do want to temper your exuberance with the fact that although some very good players are being brought in, it's still the so-called coaching triumvirate of last season's debacle calling the shots.

While it is certainly possible that the coaching staff AND the players could come together and have a good year, don't be too surprised (or homicidal) if the team doesn't.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

I agree with most of what you've said with two caveats. First, Brad Butler was probably our best offensive lineman last year. Butler was a very good OL player who is being rewarded by being moved to RT, a tougher position that requires more skill. If he was so terrible the team wouldn't be moving him, and frankly, watch the game film. He rarely gets beat in pass protection on the inside, and he is one of our best run blockers. Also, I'm not ready to anoint this draft class as a group of saviors. I am happy at the needs the team has addressed and think that on paper these guys have a lot of potential. Snap judgments are easy, though, and I want to see how our new OL comes together during those five preseason games. I do think Brandon has done a very good job the last two years in starting to make this team better, and he and the FO deserve credit for that, but lets see how those picks translate to the NFL in terms of their play.

I agree that Butler is a very underrated player for us. What most people don't realize is that over the last 8 games of the season last year, the Bills had one of the best running games in the NFL, averaging nearly 5 yards per carry. This happened to coincide with Butler coming back from being injured, which IMO was NOT a coincidence. Butler was a natural tackle in college, and looks the part of a tackle at 6' 7" much more than he does at guard. The fact that he could transition to guard with little experience playing the position and play very well shows he is a smart kid who is a quick learner...

I really like the makings of this offensive line this year, especially the middle of the line, which is extremely important playing in the AFC East with those big DT's...

Buffalo is preparing this team to compete realistically with all the other teams in the AFC east. They got killed by the 3-4 noseguards in the division hence getting rid off all three interior offensive linemen. Yeah Butler did suck also and his days as a guard are just about over in Buffalo. The additions of TO and Rhodes was all about the points. Proven Pros. This is a very good mix of young hardworking talent and exp pros. If Edwards gets it right this year this team will compete with anybody. There is a new attitude in Buffalo, soft players (Dockery) and malcontents (Peters) will not be tolerated. They will not go winless in the division this year. People are going to talk about this draft and the players that they brought in for 2009 as the turning point, the start of a new dynasty. I will go out on a limb now and say Russ Brandon is the executive of the year for the way he is turning around this team. Mental toughness and desire to play football are the kind of players that he is going out and aquiring. The mentaly soft Bills who fold like a lawn chair are not going to be on the field this year. I cannot wait till the season opener. Whipping Billy boy and uncle Tom on national TV is going to be a great feeling.

I agree.. However Butler has talent...

I agree that Butler is a very underrated player for us. What most people don't realize is that over the last 8 games of the season last year, the Bills had one of the best running games in the NFL, averaging nearly 5 yards per carry. This happened to coincide with Butler coming back from being injured, which IMO was NOT a coincidence. Butler was a natural tackle in college, and looks the part of a tackle at 6' 7" much more than he does at guard. The fact that he could transition to guard with little experience playing the position and play very well shows he is a smart kid who is a quick learner...

I really like the makings of this offensive line this year, especially the middle of the line, which is extremely important playing in the AFC East with those big DT's...

could it be that peters finally got in shape. i'm sure the rest of the east is staying up at night worrying about the scrubs we have playing on the line and our noodle armed qb

IMO Butler is the best offensive line player on this team and was still the best when Assface Peters and Dockery were still around.