Question for both sides.

Do you think the war on terrorism can be won? I am not trying to start a flame war. Lord knows we have enough of that already. I would really appreciate it if you could give your reason why it can or can't be won.

I myself am not sure. I hope and pray the President can defeat terrorism and I will support him and our troops 110%. Even though I did not vote for him, he won fair and square, that is what makes America the greatest country in the world., but back to the question. Is this war winnable?

Thanks in advance.

Do you think the war on terrorism can be won? I am not trying to start a flame war. Lord knows we have enough of that already. I would really appreciate it if you could give your reason why it can or can't be won.

I myself am not sure. I hope and pray the President can defeat terrorism and I will support him and our troops 110%. Even though I did not vote for him, he won fair and square, that is what makes America the greatest country in the world., but back to the question. Is this war winnable?

Thanks in advance.

102469[/snapback]

First you have to define what "win" is.

I'd say no, regardless of the definition of "winnable.". There will always be people desperate enough to use terrorism as a weapon. And that's the scary part.

But if our government can (continue to) prevent further attacks on US soil, that's a major victory in the war.

I'd say no, regardless of the definition of "winnable.".  There will always be people desperate enough to use terrorism as a weapon.  And that's the scary part.

But if our government can (continue to) prevent further attacks on US soil, that's a major victory in the war.

102505[/snapback]

I'm getting sick and tired of you.

I hate it when I agree with you :wacko:

What do I mean by win? To tell you the truth, I don't know. Is it even possible to win? Once again, I don't know. Maybe the question should have been, are we taking the right steps to win the war on terroe? But I did not want to turn this into a flaming war between sides.

So I guess I'll ask again. Can this war be won?

What do I mean by win? To tell you the truth, I don't know. Is it even possible to win? Once again, I don't know. Maybe the question should have been, are we taking the right steps to win the war on terroe? But I did not want to turn this into a flaming war between sides.

102524[/snapback]

I think we can protect our shores...we can fight and lobby for democracy in the Middle East...but that is a fight we'll not have much luck with

I honestly dont know if it is winnable.  But I konw one thing.  We must win to save our country.  So that is a fight worth fighting

102520[/snapback]

I agree completely with you. For the sake of my children and grandchildren, I hope we can at least take a big enough hit on terrorist that they will be unable and unwilling to take a chance.

102524[/snapback]

<sigh> You have to be able to define it before you can figure out how to get there.

You may as well ask: Can we pfthileromnie the war on terrorism? Well...what's pfthileromnie? I don't know...but can we pfthileromnie the war? :wacko:

<sigh>  You have to be able to define it before you can figure out how to get there. 

You may as well ask: Can we pfthileromnie the war on terrorism?  Well...what's pfthileromnie?  I don't know...but can we pfthileromnie the war?  :wacko:

102692[/snapback]

I'm not sure about the war, but I sure pfthileromnied my wife last night. :D

<sigh>  You have to be able to define it before you can figure out how to get there. 

You may as well ask: Can we pfthileromnie the war on terrorism?  Well...what's pfthileromnie?  I don't know...but can we pfthileromnie the war?  :wacko:

102692[/snapback]

Hardest I've laughed in weeks.

Terrorism is a tactic. Can we win a war against a tactic? No, we probably can't. The thing about terrorism as a tactic, as most of you clearly understand is that it is an effective way for a small number of people to inflict damage against a larger foe that they wouldn't stand a chance against head to head.

The problem is that our Empire is built on a house of cards that is based in trust in our government. Have any of you thought about how fragile our economy is? Look at what happened to the economy after 9/11. What would happen to our economy if a nuclear or biological device went off in one of our large cities. Well it certainly would impact our faith in the system. What if terrorists launched a cyber attack that was capable of crippling the internet and e-commerce for an extended period of time.

I don't know if we can win a war against terrorism, but I do know that we'd better die trying.

Thanks in advance.

102469[/snapback]

No.

Because creating terror can be boiled down to one person and one person only. At this level terror can never be elimanated. Just imagine if suicide bombers started showing up on American soil? How will you control that if the breeding starts here? Keep depressing economic conditions and the situations will get more numerous.

Terror happens everyday and has been happening everyday of human existence.

The war is controllable and losses can be minimized.

Guest BackInDaDay

Thanks in advance.

102469[/snapback]

Last Monday night, as I sat watching the Jets beat the crap out of Dolphins, my thoughts turned to the next day's presidential election. I thought, what a target for a terrorst act this event was. National TV, election eve...

Listen, I watched the WTC towers come down from my workplace in Jersey City. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was watching several friends die. The next morning I called the NYPD to see if I could help clear some of the steel in the rescue attempts. I'm not a contractor, but I figured anyone who knows how to use a cutting torch would be welcome. I was thanked, but told to stay home. I just wanted to do something, you know what I mean? The loss of lives knocks the wind out of you, but the need for justice to be done to the cowards that took those lives, burns.

An old friend, who lost his brother there, met the president on one of the days he was helping dig out the rubble. He told me had the chance to tell Bush, 'we gotta get these guys", and Bush looked him right back in the eye and said "yup, we do", and they we're both talking about the same thing, if you know what I mean.

GW has been true to that promise. Every war needs a front, and damn if he didn't create one right in the frontyard of these bastards! He's taking the fight to them. Think about it, we're standing on their front stoop, calling them out! and the fools can't resist. Syrians, Jordanians, Iranians, Saudis... they're all rushing to Iraq to get a piece of the great Satan.

Sure they're gonna get their shots in, and God bless all those who have, and will, sacrifice of themselves to engage this enemy, but we're gonna dispatch this bunch of murderers and make the societies that breed them accountable. That's where the war will truly be won. The message has been sent to the governments of these terrorist states that they can either join the civilised world by policing themselves, or the civilised world, starting with Uncle Sam, will be happy to do it for them!

Is the war winnable? Yes, we're winning it.

I can't say I know how, but we're crippling their ability to stage catastrophic acts of terror. I don't think for a second that if these cowards could get their **** together long enough to plan another attack, they wouldn't do it. Of course they would, which means they can't. The fact that no more domestic targets, including the MNF plum, have been hit makes me a believer in what we're doing.

Go America!

Last Monday night, as I sat watching the Jets beat the crap out of Dolphins, my thoughts turned to the next day's presidential election.  I thought, what a target for a terrorst act this event was.  National TV, election eve... 

Listen, I watched the WTC towers come down from my workplace in Jersey City. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was watching several friends die. The next morning I called the NYPD to see if I could help clear some of the steel in the rescue attempts.  I'm not a contractor, but I figured anyone who knows how to use a cutting torch would be welcome. I was thanked, but told to stay home. I just wanted to do something, you know what I mean?  The loss of lives knocks the wind out of you, but the need for justice to be done to the cowards that took those lives, burns. 

An old friend, who lost his brother there, met the president on one of the days he was helping dig out the rubble.  He told me had the chance to tell Bush, 'we gotta get these guys", and Bush looked him right back in the eye and said "yup, we do", and they we're both talking about the same thing, if you know what I mean.

GW has been true to that promise. Every war needs a front, and damn if he didn't create one right in the frontyard of these bastards! He's taking the fight to them. Think about it, we're standing on their front stoop, calling them out! and the fools can't resist.  Syrians, Jordanians, Iranians, Saudis... they're all rushing to Iraq to get a piece of the great Satan.

Sure they're gonna get their shots in, and God bless all those who have, and will, sacrifice of themselves to engage this enemy, but we're gonna dispatch this bunch of murderers and make the societies that breed them accountable. That's where the war will truly be won. The message has been sent to the governments of these terrorist states that they can either join the civilised world by policing themselves, or the civilised world, starting with Uncle Sam, will be happy to do it for them!

Is the war winnable? Yes, we're winning it.

I can't say I know how, but we're crippling their ability to stage catastrophic acts of terror. I don't think for a second that if these cowards could get their **** together long enough to plan another attack, they wouldn't do it. Of course they would, which means they can't. The fact that no more domestic targets, including the MNF plum, have been hit makes me a believer in what we're doing.

Go America!

102856[/snapback]

That is some pretty exspensive "fly-paper." Think we have to keep it swinging in the breeze for a while?

My sympathies go out to your loved ones.