Chris Brown on Nelson's coaching

Nelson’s building block

CB talking to Nelson's coaches about his blocking and receiving. Good read...

“Even though we were a spread offense we were pretty balanced run to pass,” said Mangum. “And every short yardage and goal line was run behind him. Where he lined up on goal line that’s usually where we ran the ball. I was talking to a coach the other day of a team that we played last year and he was just bragging on Shawn and the way that he blocked.”

“I wasn’t known for (blocking) when I first got there because they always ran it away from me,” said Nelson. “But coach Fedora and coach Mangum put faith in me and asked me to do something and I did it. I’m very coachable. When they ask me to do something I do it. When they’d ask me to block and wanted to run behind me I’d tell them, ‘Come on let’s get the job done. Let’s do it.’ And that’s what we did.”

By no means is Nelson a finely tuned blocker, but at the college level his athleticism helped make up for being a bit rough around the edges.

Glad to hear this. Here's hoping he can block well. With 2 highly regarded rookie Ol likely starting, the only way the improvement in receivers will work is with contribution by the TE blocking. If he can't help here, we'll probably lose his receiving skills in favor of a better blocker there.

My growing excitment is tempered by a lot of unknowns.

isn't nelson the guy that pretty much pancaked maualuga in some blocking drills during the pre-draft stuff?

Yes.

What you are really hoping for in a guy like Nelson is a willingness to block. I think that's not too much of an issue, thankfully, as he seems more than willing to block, and to learn.

How in the hell did this giy last to the 121st pick? From what I have read this guy is shannon sharpe but faster. I just want him to catch a couple td's and not have key drops.I like the pick but let's not set the bar too high for this guy or we will try running him outta here like Hardy.

How in the hell did this giy last to the 121st pick? From what I have read this guy is shannon sharpe but faster. I just want him to catch a couple td's and not have key drops.I like the pick but let's not set the bar too high for this guy or we will try running him outta here like Hardy.

Will and desire will usually get you more than talent any day of the week....I really think the Bills drafted a buncha guys that want to go out there and be really good football players, and I think it will show in the coming years...