Is America Really a "divided" Country?

AKC

Is the United States a divided nation?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is the United States a divided nation?

• Yes
    • No
    • No- In fact one-party control proves just the opposite
    • Undecided

It seems like the people saying the country is divided are the same people who are grasping onto the slide into insignificance the Democratic Party has been on for at minimum the last 12 years.

Does not the fact that the the citizens of the United States ( through our constitutionally protected voting process ) electing the Republicans to control EVERYTHING prove that there's no divide?

Would not a Dem run White House with a Republican House and Senate indicate more of a "divided" country? Or a Republican White House and Senate with a Dem House?

The evidence appears to say that the Country has never been so UNITED since 1936, the last time we had circumstances similar to this year when one party so historically reinforced their power.

Some try to characterize a regional type of divide, something that might also be seen as a divide between those who reside in big cities and demand the government spend lots of money to provide them services/members of Labor Unions versus all the rest of the citizens of the country. IMO that appears to be more of a choice than some type of division to this resident of the second largest city in the United States.

I can't support the word "divide" when it comes only from the people who are losing election after election. Perhaps going back the the drawing board and deciding whether there has been too much of a drift away from the mainstream American set of ideals and trying to recover from some self-inflicted sense of entitlement might be a better way to recover than this embarrassing public display of denial about their diminished influence.

It seems like the people saying the country is divided are the same people who are grasping onto the slide into insignificance the Democratic Party has been on for at minimum the last 12 years.

Does not the fact that the the citizens of the United States ( through our constitutionally protected voting process ) electing the Republicans to control EVERYTHING prove that there's no divide?

Would not a Dem run White House with a Republican House and Senate indicate more of a "divided" country? Or a Republican White House and Senate with a Dem House?

The evidence appears to say that the Country has never been so UNITED since 1936, the last time we had circumstances similar to this year when one party so historically reinforced their power.

Some try to characterize a regional type of divide, something that might also be seen as a divide between those who reside in big cities and demand the government spend lots of money to keep them comfortable/members of Labor Unions versus all the rest of the citizens of the country. IMO that appears to be  more of a choice than some type of division to this resident of the second largest city in the United States.

I can't support the word "divide" when it comes only from the people who are losing election after election. Perhaps going back the the drawing board and deciding whether there has been too much of a drift away from the mainstream American set of ideals and trying to recover from some self-inflicted sense of entitlement might be a better way to recover than this embarrassing public display of denial about their diminished influence.

102308[/snapback]

You have your point. However, when 58 million vote for something, and 55 million vote against the same thing, it is obvious that there is a sinificant divide in our country. To say that the Democratic party is slipping into insignificance is short sighted. After Nixon resigned, the prevailing opinion was that the Republicans were fading into oblivion, no end in sight. All it took was one bad administration (see Jimmy Carter) to reverse that trend. I still hold firm to the beleif that president Bush will leave us in bad enough shape after another 4 years, that things will trend the other way again. Our history is full of these trends.

To say that the word "divide" is only coming from the Democratic side is silly too. Your man of choice acknowledged the divide himself, in his victory speech yesterday. So is it the word "divide" that bothers you, or the concept that there is a political and philosophical division in our country? Fifty-five million opposition votes is a pretty significant percentage.

You have your point.  However, when 58 million vote for something, and 55 million vote against the same thing, it is obvious that there is a sinificant divide in our country.  To say that the Democratic party is slipping into insignificance is short sighted.  After Nixon resigned, the prevailing opinion was that the Republicans were fading into oblivion, no end in sight.  All it took was one bad administration (see Jimmy Carter) to reverse that trend.  I still hold firm to the beleif that president Bush will leave us in bad enough shape after another 4 years, that things will trend the other way again.  Our history is full of these trends. 

To say that the word "divide" is only coming from the Democratic side is silly too.  Your man of choice acknowledged the divide himself, in his victory speech yesterday.  So is it the word "divide" that bothers you, or the concept that there is a political and philosophical division in our country?  Fifty-five million opposition votes is a pretty significant percentage.

102330[/snapback]

You're missing the point. The rest of us are irrelevant for at least two years now that the Republicans are in complete control. The gloating continues, yet we have the elitist attitude. To say the country is divided is an understatement IMHO. There is a growing ideological and educational gap between Liberals and Conservatives that is not likely to close anytime soon.

You're missing the point.  The rest of us are irrelevant for at least two years now that the Republicans are in complete control.  The gloating continues, yet we have the elitist attitude.  To say the country is divided is an understatement IMHO.  There is a growing ideological and educational gap between Liberals and Conservatives that is not likely to close anytime soon.

102358[/snapback]

Educational gap? :unsure:

There is a growing ideological and educational gap between Liberals and

102358[/snapback]

Maybe I've overestimated the likelihood that the libs will make some comeback because that's one of the stupidest and most arrogant assumptions I've ever heard. Not to mention that it's false- the fact is that college-educated voters split 52-47 for Bush in this cycle.

Maybe there is a divide, a divide between decent people and arrogant, pompous jack-asses who seem determined to let that pomposity stand between themselves and any shot at political relevance. But hey, it's a free country ;-)

No doubt, isn't it obvious?

102386[/snapback]

Absolutely. Considering that the Democratic Party's target audience tends to be the inner-city under-priviledged with fewer opportunities, it's pretty safe to say your typical Democrat is probably under-educated.

:unsure:

Is it obvious that one side is more educated than the other?  Not in my travels.  Virtually all "ticket voters" are complete idiots, unable to think for themselves.  Most don't understand the issues, much less the solutions.

102397[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more! I didn't say "educated on the issues", I said educated - something you obviously value less than I. The fact remains that most registered Independents voted Democratic this time, so more of the Bush supporters were ticket voters.

I havent really looked at the numbers but didnt personality-less John Kerry just run a putrid campaign and get the second largest number of votes ever for President of the United States?

102380[/snapback]

Uncomfortable in his own skin Kerry made a run for it with the shameless and illegal help in some cases of a media that will never IMO recover from the bias they showed this time. CBS has already paid a major price and the circulation of the worst of the print media continues to decline.

Many Americans who want to actually discuss issues with others opinions considered have chosen the AM radio dial and the internet. For some reason the base of the left does not appear to have the stomach to actually debate issues with some content, instead their "talk radio" shows require funding from people like Soros just to stay on the air because frankly advertisers prefer someone with an audience. The yearning for something more than a CBS soundblight or a CNN 20 second spot, the desire to discuss the differing sides of a subject apparently is nearly wholly a concept that either attracts more right-leaning persons or at the least leads them to vote that way after that consideration. It might get back to the same thing I mentioned in another topic- the answers from the left have become the same for all questions- spend more money and get that money by taxing the rich. Americans are no longer buying it.

I couldn't agree more!  I didn't say "educated on the issues", I said educated - something you obviously value less than I.  The fact remains that most registered Independents voted Democratic this time, so more of the Bush supporters were ticket voters.

102412[/snapback]

Educated with government money in monopolistic circumstances is not educated. It's also the reason nearly half of the population can't read.

I won't argue the numbers because I don't know them, nor do I care.

Perhaps going back the the drawing board and deciding whether there has been too much of a drift away from the mainstream American set of ideals and trying to recover from some self-inflicted sense of entitlement might be a better way to recover than this embarrassing public display of denial about their diminished influence.

102308[/snapback]

OK, you'll need to stop it right there. If they choose to continue to choke on their own hate-vomit let 'em go. In the meantime we'll be able to make some of the changes we would never had been granted the opportunity to make with a mixed congress. Too many Dems around Washington means too much influence by Trial Lawyers, Unions and God save us the vacuous Hollywood elite! Let 'em think the smartest of Americans prefer People Magazine to the Wall Street Journal and we'll get the country set up to outperform the Eurotrash they admire!

I voted for GWB and I also "voted" that the country is "divided". Clearly 59 million of us don't completely agree with another 55 million of us. But, our differences on most of the important things are not that far off. The may be disagreements in priorities that are huge. There may be disagreements on the means to and end.

But, since GWB got the "majority", the "mandate", the "political capital"...it is his right to do the final deciding on the what and the how we do whatever.

Quite frankly, it is "my way or the highway". He won. He deserves to try it his way.

Do you really think if the numbers were reversed that Kerry would be doing a single thing to include the "right" into his tent? NO !!!

When the liberals "win", then it will be their turn to decide what & how.

But for now, we all need to support the President of the United States because he is, afterall, our leader for the next four years.

The Kerry vote is still the most of any president until GWB garnered his count this year!

If you're not in sales, you should be. You point out the most fitting tribute to Mr. Kerry as he heads back to the senate where he actually now has to do something signficant to prove that those other 19 years weren't a fluke. Add one more line item to the resume under "accomplishments": Set a record for garnering the single most votes of any president in the history of the US.*

*for about four seconds.

If you're not in sales, you should be. You point out the most fitting tribute to Mr. Kerry as he heads back to the senate where he actually now has to do something signficant to prove that those other 19 years weren't a fluke. Add one more line item to the resume under "accomplishments": Set a record for garnering the single most votes of any president in the history of the US.*

*for about four seconds.

102731[/snapback]

Both sides turned up the "volume"... The right a little more.

Throw out all the numbers and reduce things down.

The difference was 4 million between the two.

That is the number that means the most and rightly so!

That is the number that should put things into perspective...

Out of a nation where 110 million voted... 4 percent of that decided the election, palin and simple.

Somebody had to win.

I honor the choice of the difference. It is the way things should go.

I honestly don't think anyone can say that whether the country is divided or not. There's still a huge number of Americans who choose not to vote and we really have no idea what their political leanings are. A perfect example? Just look at this election. Most of the 'experts' just assumed that a high voter turnout would greatly benefit Kerry. In fact, it seems to have helped Bush quite a bit.

The point is, there are simply a lot of people out there who's vote and political leanings can't be accurately determined, and they might actually lean fairly strongly one way or the other.

The buses were running today. I didn't see any rioting or panic in the streets. The news didn't mention any violent uprisings or really anything out of the ordinary at all. I talked to some people who voted for Kerry and were bummed about the loss but it didn't turn into a fight to the death.

So apparently the country is still in one piece.

The buses were running today.  I didn't see any rioting or panic in the streets.  The news didn't mention any violent uprisings or really anything out of the ordinary at all.  I talked to some people who voted for Kerry and were bummed about the loss but it didn't turn into a fight to the death. 

So apparently the country is still in one piece.

102771[/snapback]

And that is what makes the US great!

Hope is infused in US.

Living conditions are the greatest.

We are people that are empowered at all levels.