Maybin = another JAG

afcfan1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do the Bills justify taking Maybin over Orakbo or Oher? Have you seen the pictures of this guy? He looks like a beefed up WR, not a DE. Even his highlights are not impressive. He's had 1 year of success in a mediocre - sub-mediocre conference. He is going to be physically abused by NFL OLmen.

He reminds me of a young Jason Taylor :pirate:

I said it immediately. I said when we picked him there was no way he could stand up to the game New England brings (and others), like that little off tackle thing they do. Please. I also pointed out that U.S.C. had their way with him. The Trojans rolled all over them. Sanchez looked like he was having fun back there. Maybin didn't apply pressure on him then and won't now. I hope I am wrong but he ain't no end, maybe an outside linebacker but I doubt that with his speed. I said before the draft and I'll say it again, we need big boi lineman on both sides of the ball. Mean nasty types that take folks lunch money.

Damn those players with the same build as Jason Taylor. They'll never get anywhere let alone close to the QB.

How do the Bills justify taking Maybin over Orakbo or Oher? Have you seen the pictures of this guy? He looks like a beefed up WR, not a DE. Even his highlights are not impressive. He's had 1 year of success in a mediocre - sub-mediocre conference. He is going to be physically abused by NFL OLmen.

Love the Wood pick, but our OL is in sad, sad shape. Who is going to play LT...L Walker? He is a well below avg RT. There is no way he can play LT. Why do the Bills not seem to get what most other NFL teams already know? You build successful teams with the DL and OL. You can't get by with nobodys and other teams' castoffs playing on the line. I truly feel sorry for Trent this year. He is going to get killed.

Just to address the topic at hand:

Easily, they wanted a guy that doesn't take plays off and can rush the passer...that's Maybin. He's not my favorite either (you all know I wanted Larry English), but I'd have taken him before any of Orakpo, Brown, or Ayers. Also, it's kind of ignorrant to say Maybin will get abused by NFL linemen when a guy like Robert Mathis has been one of the most productive ends in the league at a svelt 237 lbs.

By the way, how, exactly, is the line is "sad, sad shape" after spending two high picks on guys that the team expects to start in 2009 and adding a starting center (who can't possibly be any worse) in free agency?

Sorry man, but this post doesn't make sense to me.

Losman was hot and rising fast up the draft boards and because of how good Bledsoe was the previous year, it looked like it would be a while before we had a high enough pick to get such a prospect.

I hated the Losman pick. Hated it. The only game I ever saw him in prior to that was the senior bowl where he and Rivers played on the same team. With the same supporting cast Losman bumbled and fumbled his way the whole game while Rivers goes in and bang, bang, bang puts up 17 points in 3 drives. Rivers was projected to be a 2nd rounder at the time.

2003. McGahee had 1-2 good seasons and netted us three draft picks including the pick we used for Edwards and another used to trade up for Poz. And at the time, we didn't know that Henry was in the substance abuse program and that Henry was such a dirt bag. So McGahee panned out fine.

2004. Lee Evans was a good pick. Tommie Harris would have been better, but can't recall whether Harris was high on Kipers list. Losman never panned out and that cost us a 2nd, 5th, and our 2005 1st. I'm crying. With those picks we could have drafted Aaron Rogers and Bob Sanders or Jake Grove. That trade set us back a couple years.

2006. Ngata is a DT playing in the right scheme for him. Not sure if he would be better/worse/same for the Bills. But Whitner is not super productive, that's for sure. But Whitner > Huff, perhaps. Cutler was the QB that the Bills passed on and that they would have picked if they needed a QB. Leinart was reported as not being suitable for the cold and winds. Kiper and co. had hot tub boy as the top rated remaining player.

2007. Lynch has been a good pick - led the pro-bowl last year plus keeps people on their toes out on the street.

2008. McKelvin was a good pick.

I hate to confuse the issue with facts here guys, but how exactly is Schobel's 61.5 sacks in his first 6 seasons a poor example? I don't know about you, but I'd take that kind of production from Maybin...

agreed. good example in terms of measurables..

Just to address the topic at hand:

Easily, they wanted a guy that doesn't take plays off and can rush the passer...that's Maybin. He's not my favorite either (you all know I wanted Larry English), but I'd have taken him before any of Orakpo, Brown, or Ayers. Also, it's kind of ignorrant to say Maybin will get abused by NFL linemen when a guy like Robert Mathis has been one of the most productive ends in the league at a svelt 237 lbs.

By the way, how, exactly, is the line is "sad, sad shape" after spending two high picks on guys that the team expects to start in 2009 and adding a starting center (who can't possibly be any worse) in free agency?

Sorry man, but this post doesn't make sense to me.

Nice point Bandit,

To assume that Maybin will be a bust is just as rediculous to say that Orakpo wont be. IMO the Bills took the player with the most upside(higher ceiling). We might have only seen a glimpse of what Maybin can/will be. Only time will tell. I think Maybin could be a beast tho.

Very good point about Schobel as well. Isnt he the 2nd leading sacker in Bills history behind Bruce? And one of the leading pash rushers in the league(current player) as far as sacks is concerned? Im too lazy to look up the stats at this point. Can anyone confirm?

Call him a troll but he makes valid points. Saying McShay and Kiper rated the kid as the best pass rushing end doesnt make him the consensus best rushing end. There is a reason all of those guys dont have jobs for real NFL teams. I take Mayocks word over those twos and Mayock was scared of him the same way I am. I will eat crow if he is better than Orakpo, but what will the Bills excuse be if he is not? I am concerned because we passed on having Orakpo, then passed on having Maybin and Brown. This seems to happen every year (the Bills take one position, but the wrong guy IMO). History has shown that I have been a better scout than the Bills. Evidence

2002: Bills pick- M.Williams My pick- B. McKinnie

2003: Bills pick- Willi McGahee My pick- Not Willis McGahee

2004: Bills pick- Losman My pick- Who is Losman? (I REALLY wanted Roethelisburger but he didnt fall, shoulda traded up from 13 to get him instead of trading to get Losman.)

2005: Bills pick- No pick

2006: Bills pick- Whitner/McCargo My pick- Ngata

2007: Bills pick- Lynch/Poz My pick- I would have traded up to get P.Willis, not Poz, but did want Lynch once Willis was gone.

2008: Bills pick- McKelvin My pick- DRC

2009: Bills pick- Maybin My pick- Orakpo

I am not tooting my own horn here, most viewers on this board share/shared similar opinions on these players at that time.

I think I must have more confidence in Chambers than any other member on this board. I think he will be our starter at LT for the whole year. He wont be great but he will be solid. I do wish we got Oher but I cannot complain with wood or levitre as they may be better picks when you take our whole roster into account.

Yeah because ESPN probably pays them more

...I am not tooting my own horn here....I think I must have more confidence in Chambers than any other member on this board. I think he will be our starter at LT for the whole year.

You can officially stop tooting your own horn. Langston Walker has already been announced as the starting LT before the first OTA. Jauron said it, and the OL coach Kugler said it. Plus, Walker was the starter last year at LT during the entire training camp and into the first game against Seattle, with Peters out.

So how do you come up with Chambers, and all your confidence in him, being the starting LT for the whole year, when he hasn't even been penciled in as the starting RT yet?!? He will be competing with Demetrius Bell for the RT spot, according to all the articles I've read so far. :doh:

You can officially stop tooting your own horn. Langston Walker has already been announced as the starting LT before the first OTA. Jauron said it, and the OL coach Kugler said it. Plus, Walker was the starter last year at LT during the entire training camp and into the first game against Seattle, with Peters out.

So how do you come up with Chambers, and all your confidence in him, being the starting LT for the whole year, when he hasn't even been penciled in as the starting RT yet?!? He will be competing with Demetrius Bell for the RT spot, according to all the articles I've read so far. :doh:

but but but he's not tooting his own horn he just knows things :doh:

I wanted orakpo but I see the logic of this pick. Maybin looks like he is an undersized speed rusher to me but he added like 20 plus pounds to his frame before the draft. Now that is either a really good or bad sign. Its bad if it means he can't play at his usual speed and that he is at best a one tool guy which is not worth the 11th pick even if that one tool is really good.

The weight gain is a really good sign if it means that he can play at his usual speed but with that weight. It also is good because that means that he has a good work ethic and can add another 15 to 25 pounds to his build over the next two or so years and become a Jason Taylor like player.

Orakpo to me looks like a guy who is either a Shawn Merriman type or a Vernon Gholston. The scouts over thought the Merriman pick and San Diego who had the Giants pick thanks to that Eli Manning trade took him because he was a beast in college and his body type projected that way in the pros. Orakpo could also be a Gholston type in that he looks good but may not know how to succeed when he is challenged by players he can't simply dominate physically like he did in college. He also comes from a program where guys don't always have a good understanding of the mental dedication to the pro game.

Orakpo and Maybin are boom or bust picks but I feel that the bills wanted to go with a situation they had more control over. Orakpo will be a bust because of injury or physical skills needing mental polish. Maybin is a guy who they feel they can fix his problems because his problems are more workable.

Call him a troll but he makes valid points. Saying McShay and Kiper rated the kid as the best pass rushing end doesnt make him the consensus best rushing end. There is a reason all of those guys dont have jobs for real NFL teams. I take Mayocks word over those twos and Mayock was scared of him the same way I am. I will eat crow if he is better than Orakpo, but what will the Bills excuse be if he is not? I am concerned because we passed on having Orakpo, then passed on having Maybin and Brown. This seems to happen every year (the Bills take one position, but the wrong guy IMO). History has shown that I have been a better scout than the Bills. Evidence

2002: Bills pick- M.Williams My pick- B. McKinnie

2003: Bills pick- Willi McGahee My pick- Not Willis McGahee

2004: Bills pick- Losman My pick- Who is Losman? (I REALLY wanted Roethelisburger but he didnt fall, shoulda traded up from 13 to get him instead of trading to get Losman.)

2005: Bills pick- No pick

2006: Bills pick- Whitner/McCargo My pick- Ngata

2007: Bills pick- Lynch/Poz My pick- I would have traded up to get P.Willis, not Poz, but did want Lynch once Willis was gone.

2008: Bills pick- McKelvin My pick- DRC

2009: Bills pick- Maybin My pick- Orakpo

I am not tooting my own horn here, most viewers on this board share/shared similar opinions on these players at that time.

I think I must have more confidence in Chambers than any other member on this board. I think he will be our starter at LT for the whole year. He wont be great but he will be solid. I do wish we got Oher but I cannot complain with wood or levitre as they may be better picks when you take our whole roster into account.

Its easy to say who you would take 3 to 5 years later. I will agree that the 2004 trade up to get JP Loserman and then again in 2006 to get a joke of McCargo were absolutely NOT THE RIGHT MOVES, and they really hurt our team wasting those picks. The past 2 drafts were strong thou. Mckelvin may end up the best return man EVER and and pretty good cover corner, would not change that pick.

We wont know who was better in this years draft till atleast 2 years down the road. I like Maybin but Orakpo is a beast. We will see

Whats so funny? Blesoe threw for over 4000 yards the year before, and the Bills even said they were not expecting to be in a position to get such a highly regarded QB prospect in the near future...which is what everyone thought after that first year with Bledsoe when he had a dangerous passing attack.

but then drew donthrow turned into "happy feet drew" and "pat the ball before I get sacked drew". I agree, he was awesome his 1st year, but then the next year we get HIM a defense, and then he turned into Drew Donthrow.

The week before the draft JP Loseman was on the cover of USA TODAY, saying he maybe the best QB of the draft. LOL-but seriously. I remember reading the article in class. So we were not the ONLY people who were DEAD WRONG about JP LOSERMAN. That pick hurt, and I want to say that dallas drafted somebody nasty with that pick we traded to get him.

Just to nitpick: The only draft board Losman was rising up was TD's. He wanted Big Ben and panicked for a QB. Every team in the NFL had Losman as a 2nd rounder.

totally disagree. THE USA TODAY had him on the cover of their newspaper before that draft saying that he is moving up rapidly and that he maybe the best qb in the draft. Look it up. Obviously that was nt the case but I do remember reading the article before that draft, then we traded up to get him