Reading some of the Renwed Optimisim

Will Jauron Be successful this season?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jauron Be succesful this season?

• Yes
    • NO
    • Please not another year of Jauron after this one

Dickie boy hasnt been successful with ANY roster he has ever had. He lost us 3-4 games each of the last two seasons on his dumb coaching decisions. He could have went 7-9 with the Steelers this past season. Football relies on coaching more than any other sport, and as long as we have a loser like DJ in charge it does not matter who is on our roster.

So the 6 games out of our last 8 where JP and Trent combined to commit 4 turnovers for every 1 TD scored had nothing to do with his record? You know, the same duo that went 0-6 in the division and neither QB ever had a rating over 80 or more TD's than turnovers in any game...

Thats the same duo that had only one game with even a rating over 70 in the 6 divisional games, and that was a measly 79...

None of this had nothing to do with our record last year? Did DJ cause Trent to fumble 9 times in 12 games losing 5 including some that cost us the game? What about JP's fumbling so often, was that DJ's fault too? How about all the bad passes that were intercepted or almost intercepted?

What about Royals dropped passes that killed us, or his fumble? How about when Hardy dropped key first downs? What about when Evans screwed the pooch at the end of the half costing us points? Was that all DJ too?

Was it DJ that hurt Schobel so we had a diminished pass rush? What about Reed going down, was that his fault too? Or all our secondary guys getting hurt, was that because of DJ?

Was it DJ's fault that Peters was out of shape and struggled all year?

I mean seriously, do you honestly think none of this had anything to do with our record?

And despite all of this, we still won 7 games and were in every contest except the AZ game...so maybe you are being a lil over dramatic laying this all on DJ...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And despite all of this, we still won 7 games and were in every contest except the AZ game...so maybe you are being a lil over dramatic laying this all on DJ...

Can you lay all the blame at DJ's feet? Probably not. Certainly the QB play could have been better last year, as could the play of the TE, offensive line, defensive line, etc.

But, can you lay some of the blame for INTs and fumbles on the coach? Of course you can. If he is putting his players in precarious positions, or not putting them in the best position to succeed, he is ultimately to blame for whatever failure occurs. Every time the Bills telegraph their offensive play call to the defense, it is very hard to expect the players, ANY players, to succeed.

Overall, I think the playcalling last year was slightly better than in 2007, under Fairchild. I was actually optimistic in the early part of the year. But, that changed when the Bills decided to stop doing what worked. IMO, some of the losses were direct results of horrible play calls. The loss against the Jets (in New Jersey) is one you can easily point to and say, "the coaches blew the game". B word at Peters or JP if you want. The game was won, until the coaches decided to try and get cute. I'm 52 years old, and have been a rabid football fan since I was a tyke. That ranks with the worst play calls I have ever seen in my 40+ years of watching football.

So, there is plenty of blame to go around, but when your coaches are suspect...especially when it comes to play calls and gameday decisions, how do you fairly judge the players? How do you compare them to players who are on teams where their coaches put them into a position to succeed?

And that assessment will undoubtedly be correct. This team wins in spite of the so-called coaching staff, not because of them. Dickie the J couldn't teach the ocean how to be wet. Well....maybe he could teach the ocean how to be wet, but he sure as hell couldn't motivate the ocean to produce waves.

lol, thats ridiculous, man. Every coach in the history of the league has things he's good at, and things he's not good at (this includes the Rich Kotites of the world). Over the course of any given week, a Head Coach will push a whole lot of different buttons...some of these moves will be wise, some will be foolish. When the team wins, its in part because the ringleader pulled (at least some of) the right strings.

If you're going to point out every mistake a coach makes that leads to a loss-- and we both know thats precisely what will happen here the moment the team adjusts its loss column-- you need to also acknowledge the absence of coaching mistakes and the wise moves that help the team win. If you're to be objective and level-headed, anyhow.

This is where posters like you lose all credibility...you sight one throw, or one play, to negate all the other 40 mistakes he made...that Cle game was one of the worst QB'd games in recent memory and worse than any game I have ever seen terrible JP put up...and even the Trent man crush guys will agree how bad that game was...but you want to negate all of that over his wobbly lob to Royal, which was a good pass, but it doesnt mask how bad he had been on every other snap that game.

The kid has potential, sure, but there were plenty of games where he played well below that, and that Cle game was a prime example. I assure you the coaching staff knows more about football and what was going on with Trent in that game then you or I do. And in a must win game, if they felt Trent gave us the better chance to win, they would have took it...but they clearly had no confidence in him or any of the offense at that point.

If Trent takes a sack we were out of FG range too...and he was playing like a deer in headlights all game and taking bad sacks. In fact, he wouldnt even throw the ball away...so he was missing wide open WR's all game just to dump off to RB behind line of scrimmage, or he holds the ball despite wide open recievers and took a bad sack...he wasnt even throwing the ball away. He should have had several other turnovers that game besides the 3 INTS, but he got lucky several times.

But, you wont see that...you see your hero and ignore his struggles.

you are incorrect.

Trent played horrible early after hardy hung him out to dry on the first pick.

However, he got his act together and was playing good enough to deep them in the game and move the team.

they shattered his confidence for the rest of the year by deflating the ball at the end of the game and settling for a very hard kick into the wind.

Dick took a playoff team at 5-1 and somehow managed to go 2-8.

It's tough to win in the NFL -

but even harder when Dick is your coach.

lol, thats ridiculous, man. Every coach in the history of the league has things he's good at, and things he's not good at (this includes the Rich Kotites of the world). Over the course of any given week, a Head Coach will push a whole lot of different buttons...some of these moves will be wise, some will be foolish. When the team wins, its in part because the ringleader pulled (at least some of) the right strings.

If you're going to point out every mistake a coach makes that leads to a loss-- and we both know thats precisely what will happen here the moment the team adjusts its loss column-- you need to also acknowledge the absence of coaching mistakes and the wise moves that help the team win. If you're to be objective and level-headed, anyhow.

OK....so over the course of last season (for example), how many wise VS foolish moves did Mike Tomlin make? How many did Ken Wisenhunt make? How many did John Harbaugh make? Good coaches press more right buttons than wrong and make more good decisions than bad. DJ has simply not shown that ability over his career.

Regarding objective and level-headed, not to mention some undeniable statistics, DJ's head coaching record is a losing one. A losing one by a very long shot. The most compelling thing one could say about him is that he is consistent. Over the course of 5 seasons as HC of Chicago, his win/loss average was 7-9. His 3 year record with the Bills is also 7-9. His win percentage in 5 seasons at Chicago is .438%. His win percentage in 3 seasons at Bufflao is also .438%.

So if there are 2 supportable statements that can be made regarding DJ's coaching history, they are:

1. He has had 7 out of 8 losing seasons as a Head Coach.

2. He is very consistent.

And that doesn't include going 1-4 as interim HC in Detriot in 2005.

Interesting yet depressing stat:

DJ's average win/loss record in 5 years at Chi Town: 7-9 <insert Twilight Zone music here>

The scariest part? DJ only averaged 7 wins per year in chicago with the help of a fluke 13 win season. he totaled 22 wins in the other 4 years. :doh:

Honestly, I usually feel optimistic about the Bills. I did last year at this time and I did the year before that at this time. I was pretty happy in getting Levy and Jauron to run the team four years ago and I'm OK with giving the coach another year to see what he's got. So to answer, I do feel optimistic.

Last year they started out 5-1 and looked like they were going to finally break the playoff curse. They imploded down the stretch. It's not like those games were blowouts - they lost close games because of varied stupid things on both sides of the ball. It happens. I think they are a young team and need time to collectively grow up. These losses are really characteristic of that as well. They played consistent til TE got hurt and Reed went out. I gotta think that if they can keep him standing and most of the skill players off the injury list, they have a real shot at being a top 15 offense. They certainly have the talent.

You are right they are a young team and they jsut got a whole lot younger specifically in the OL and TE. The only thing we can be thankful for is that we finally have veteran leadership on the Offense in TO the only question is.. Is it the type of leadership you want for your offense?

The only other problem i see is the OL's ability to Keep Trent up and not playing scared like he was in the final stratch last year.

Dickie boy hasnt been successful with ANY roster he has ever had. He lost us 3-4 games each of the last two seasons on his dumb coaching decisions. He could have went 7-9 with the Steelers this past season. Football relies on coaching more than any other sport, and as long as we have a loser like DJ in charge it does not matter who is on our roster.

I think their might be something to that statement. Asmuch as I dislike the comparisons to this team the Patriots Were able to go 11-5 with a QB who hasnt thrown a game pass since high school and also got a 2nd rd pick for him when they were just going to let him go the fanbase couldnt stand him, He started off lousy and improved through the season. That is attributed to the coaching. While on the other hand our Trend Edwards started out pretty good and got progressively worse and the fanbase attributes that to his injury and not the coaching staff...GO FIGURE :doh:

OK....so over the course of last season (for example), how many wise VS foolish moves did Mike Tomlin make? How many did Ken Wisenhunt make? How many did John Harbaugh make? Good coaches press more right buttons than wrong and make more good decisions than bad. DJ has simply not shown that ability over his career.

Regarding objective and level-headed, not to mention some undeniable statistics, DJ's head coaching record is a losing one. A losing one by a very long shot. The most compelling thing one could say about him is that he is consistent. Over the course of 5 seasons as HC of Chicago, his win/loss average was 7-9. His 3 year record with the Bills is also 7-9. His win percentage in 5 seasons at Chicago is .438%. His win percentage in 3 seasons at Bufflao is also .438%.

So if there are 2 supportable statements that can be made regarding DJ's coaching history, they are:

1. He has had 7 out of 8 losing seasons as a Head Coach.

2. He is very consistent.

And that doesn't include going 1-4 as interim HC in Detriot in 2005.

I agree with every word. This does not conflict with my point: Dick Jauron should get credit when the team plays well, because it means he did a good job that week.

You can't just say, "Dick Jauron is a bad head coach, so any success the Bills have will be in spite of him." Thats not reality. He'll make good moves and he'll make mistakes, just like every coach in the league. We just have to hope the mistakes don't come in situations where they overshadow what the coaches and players are doing well-- like the Losman rollout call against the Jets.

I agree with every word. This does not conflict with my point: Dick Jauron should get credit when the team plays well, because it means he did a good job that week.

You can't just say, "Dick Jauron is a bad head coach, so any success the Bills have will be in spite of him." Thats not reality. He'll make good moves and he'll make mistakes, just like every coach in the league. We just have to hope the mistakes don't come in situations where they overshadow what the coaches and players are doing well-- like the Losman rollout call against the Jets.

My question to that would be WHAT DO THE COACHES DO WELL? Practice? Game plan? Game time management? Call the right plays? Make the right game time adjustments? play to players strengths? Play to their opponents weaknesses?Create a defensive idendity? create an offense identity? overall team philiosphy?

The only thing i think the caoches staff does a good job of is the overall team philosphy playing not to lose its worked 43% of the time they are jsut hoping to improve it to 50/ 50 and beeing too nice to their players.

This is where posters like you lose all credibility...you sight one throw, or one play, to negate all the other 40 mistakes he made...

Really? Do you know what "irony" is?

that Cle game was one of the worst QB'd games in recent memory and worse than any game I have ever seen

Maybe you should revisit the year 2005. Or, better yet, go to 2006 (JP's "good" year) and check out the Bears game that you obviously missed.

But, you wont see that...you see your hero and ignore his struggles.

Ha! Dude, that JPhrodesiac you took long ago has left you with an erection lasting more than 4 years--you need to get to the emergency room!