I just don't understand Obama's uber civility

LABillz is correct......Obama has revealed he is just like every other politician. Gee, can you imagine well connected people in his administration making billions of dollars from his policies? Just goes to show you he is not above everything political etc...he claimed to be.

That doesn't even include the number of bailed out companies spending MILLIONS IN TAXPAYER DOLLARS to lobby the Obama administration for favors. I think most people call this money laundering. Though in Chicago I think it's called "business as usual."

You know what's really, really funny? MSNBC was one of the first to report this story, and yet, today, here's the link to the story at their website. :thumbsup:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An ironic sentiment considering we've just emerged from 8 years of Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Gonzales/etc. Black is white, Peace is war, slavery is freedom, Orwell was right.

PTR

And record defecits and spending balance the budget... :doh:

I think you're on to something here Mr. Roboto.

I am puzzled - did anyone seriously expect Presidential greatness from an inexperienced local pol with 7 years in the Illinois state legislature and half a term in the US Senate?

How dare you! He's the best Black President we've ever had! :doh:

And record defecits and spending balance the budget... :doh:

I think you're on to something here Mr. Roboto.

Who was it that decided deficit spending was not a bad thing and who were his advisors that sold him on that idea?

So it would be fair to say, then, that conservatives think that civility and good manners are bad?

I don't find that shocking for some reason.

This isn't the dinner table. Civility and good manners are not always the best tact to take when dealing on the world political stage.

But the fact that you think it is important I don't find shocking for some reason.

This isn't the dinner table. Civility and good manners are not always the best tact to take when dealing on the world political stage.

But the fact that you think it is important I don't find shocking for some reason.

You need to understand that if the world likes us because we're civil, then the bad guys will leave us alone. For example, when the US stops its nuclear weapons program, so will places like Iran and North Korea. When we dismantle our anti-missle systems, countries will stop developing missiles that can reach US soil.

People only mean to do the US harm because we're not nice to them. Why is that so hard to understand? Be nice, and everyone will follow suit.

Hey, it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. :doh:

I'd love to see the reaction if Obama stood up and flipped off the Russians or Iranians.

Laughable at best. He can't even hold a prime time press conference without lining up a bunch of softball, fairytale questions about how "enchanted" his life has been. You honestly think he has the nutsack to flip off Russia or Iran? Christ, he can't even respond to North Korea beyond a light scolding despite it being one of those "tiny" countries that "don't pose a serious threat."

Nothing that matters one lick to folks of your viewpoint. Go back to watching Fox News to get your marching orders. I think another "grassroots" tea party is coming up.

PTR

If your quotes around grassroots means facetiousness, then you are mistaken. It was a true grassroots movement. Fox jumped on the bandwagon, not vice versa. Did you notice the tea parties were against both major parties? If not, go get your marching orders...

Laughable at best. He can't even hold a prime time press conference without lining up a bunch of softball, fairytale questions about how "enchanted" his life has been. You honestly think he has the nutsack to flip off Russia or Iran? Christ, he can't even respond to North Korea beyond a light scolding despite it being one of those "tiny" countries that "don't pose a serious threat."

The questions lobbed to him yesterday were just terrible, for the most part. Except from Jake Tapper and the guy from CBS radio. And the media should be embarrassed for not being about 10x tougher on him. But he doesn't have any say in what they ask him. It's not his fault they were so soft. Even when he calls on Major Garrett or another guy from FOX, he doesn't get really tough questions. Of course, yesterday, he intentionally left Fox out of it because they didn't cover the press conference, which was a completely fair choice from both them and him.

The questions lobbed to him yesterday were just terrible, for the most part. Except from Jake Tapper and the guy from CBS radio. And the media should be embarrassed for not being about 10x tougher on him. But he doesn't have any say in what they ask him. It's not his fault they were so soft. Even when he calls on Major Garrett or another guy from FOX, he doesn't get really tough questions. Of course, yesterday, he intentionally left Fox out of it because they didn't cover the press conference, which was a completely fair choice from both them and him.

I would argue that when they make the list of people who will be permitted to ask questions, there is a list of topics. I have no proof of that, but the entire event is so obviously choreographed that you have to wonder why he just didn't give a speech and walk away.

Even still, the press was ridiculous last night, not just because they didn't ask him any really tough questions, but also because when he DIDN'T really answer a question, no one pushed him. I thought it was particularly interesting that no one questioned him about the Air Force One flyby in NYC, but they want to know what enchanted him. Frankly, the NY Times should be embarrassed.

I would argue that when they make the list of people who will be permitted to ask questions, there is a list of topics. I have no proof of that, but the entire event is so obviously choreographed that you have to wonder why he just didn't give a speech and walk away.

Even still, the press was ridiculous last night, not just because they didn't ask him any really tough questions, but also because when he DIDN'T really answer a question, no one pushed him. I thought it was particularly interesting that no one questioned him about the Air Force One flyby in NYC, but they want to know what enchanted him. Frankly, the NY Times should be embarrassed.

It would be a pretty big story if, in an event like that, he had prepared the questions or knew them in advance. Even the "liberal media" guys and women from NBC and NYT, etc, would make a big deal out of that.

You're absolutely right about the follow-ups, although Obama does a good job of taking five minutes to answer every question, and he goes through most aspects of it. Some people think the SPCA should use this to put unwanted animals to sleep, and some people are impressed by his grasp of the issue. I fall somewhere in between those two viewpoints. He and his team are very good, however, at orchestrating these things. It's very intentional that it is slow and methodic, and IMO and a lot of others it's really all about convincing the general public that doesn't follow politics as much as we do that he is in control, and understands the issues and is working on them. It seems to be working as he gets very good grades from the majority after each one.

The press is pathetic at them though. I like him, too, but I would love to ask him a tough question, and then follow up on it. Last night was the worst I have seen. The questions were not even softball, they were T-ball.

FWIW, there really isn't anything to say about the fly-by. The top of the administration didn't know about it, shouldn't have known about it, admitted it was a terribly stupid mistake, and promised that it wouldn't happen again. What else can be said.

FWIW, there really isn't anything to say about the fly-by. The top of the administration didn't know about it, shouldn't have known about it, admitted it was a terribly stupid mistake, and promised that it wouldn't happen again. What else can be said.

But you could say the same about 75% of the questions. I mean, the dude just had a Town Hall meeting earlier in the day talking about all the things he'd done, then he has a press conference talking about all the things he's done. We get it. You're doing stuff. And it's the same stuff you've been doing since the last prime time press conference. I don't understand why they don't just create an Obama Channel and people can watch him whenever they want. There's a channel on Sirius called POTUS. Just make TV channel to go with it and drop with the prime time snoozefests already.

But you could say the same about 75% of the questions. I mean, the dude just had a Town Hall meeting earlier in the day talking about all the things he'd done, then he has a press conference talking about all the things he's done. We get it. You're doing stuff. And it's the same stuff you've been doing since the last prime time press conference. I don't understand why they don't just create an Obama Channel and people can watch him whenever they want. There's a channel on Sirius called POTUS. Just make TV channel to go with it and drop with the prime time snoozefests already.

Because they are working exactly as the administration wants them to work? Even O'Reilly said last night as soon as it was over "These guys were probably high-fiving each other all over the place" after that.

The vast, vast majority of the people watching the prime time press conference didn't see the Town Hall or know what he said in it. Tens and tens of millions probably watched the press conference. Less than 1-2 million probably saw the town hall.

EDIT: About 25 million watched the press conference from the overnights.