SI.com 2009 Draft steals and reaches

Has Nelson as a steal: "Shawn Nelson/TE/Buffalo/4th round: Nelson was a legitimate second-round talent but his marginal blocking skills pushed him down draft boards. He's a vertical threat who will see action as a rookie."

and Byrd as a reach: "Jairus Byrd/CB/Buffalo/2nd Round: Byrd ran pedestrian times in the 4.6 range during his pro-day workout. He's a solid prospect , but there were at least a half dozen higher-rated cornerbacks available to the Bills when they selected him at the top of Round 2."

Also of note has Mack as a reach at 21 and Orakpo as a steal at 13...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/foot...ex.html?eref=T1

"Jairus Byrd/CB/Buffalo/2nd Round: Byrd ran pedestrian times in the 4.6 range during his pro-day workout. He's a solid prospect , but there were at least a half dozen higher-rated cornerbacks available to the Bills when they selected him at the top of Round 2."

He's may be a reach as a CB in a base NFL defense, but he's going to play FS in a Tampa-2 scheme. His speed will be plenty fine.

Tell me when a Hall of Fame induction speech includes "He was a great player but a reach in the draft."

PTR

Probably not many. But how many players who turn out to be considered busts were actually reaches? I think that's the better question... I'm sure a lot more "reaches" turn out to be busts than HOFers...

Probably not many. But how many players who turn out to be considered busts were actually reaches? I think that's the better question... I'm sure a lot more "reaches" turn out to be busts than HOFers...

I always think a reach means that the player could have been had at a later draft pick. Doesn't mean that reaches will be busts, or anything. It's more of a draft-value thing.

I always think a reach means that the player could have been had at a later draft pick. Doesn't mean that reaches will be busts, or anything. It's more of a draft-value thing.

Yeah but what I'm saying is that I wonder how many first or second round "reaches" underperform and become "busts"?

I would wager an equal number of "steals" turn out to be busts.