Circling the Wagons

Guest dog14787

Guest dog14787

I'm optimistic about our teams future

Its been awhile since I felt like the Buffalo Bills finally have enough talent to match up with some of the big dogs in the league like the Pats or the Giants and get the job done. In my opinion times are changing and all we have to do is look, its all right there in front of us.

We have a good QB ( I say great , but I'll keep it real ) we have a very good group of running backs, we have a very good group of WR's, we have a good group of TE's now, and the O-line despite losing Jason Peters may end up being a decent line when all is said and done. The FO and coaching staff while maybe not the flashest and most experienced in the league has done a decent job with a very young team, and ownership has stood firm in the belief that we are headed in the right direction.

Our defense will probably end up having one of the best backfields in the league, and the rest of the D with the addition of Maybin and Shoebels return, WOW, I feel sorry for opposing QB's (NOT)

and our Special Teams, well , that ones easy, the best in the National Football league.

So when you look at the whole picture, Buffalo really does have a pretty good football team,

Time will tell...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been awhile since I felt like the Buffalo Bills finally have enough talent to match up with some of the big dogs in the league like the Pats or the Giants and get the job done, but In my opinion times are changing, all we have to do is look and its all right there in front of us.

We have a good QB ( I say great , but I'll keep it real ) we have a very good group of running backs, we have a very good group of WR's, we have a good group of TE's now, and the O-line despite losing Jason Peters may end up being a decent line when all is said and done. The FO and coaching staff while maybe not the flashest and most experienced in the league has done a decent job with a very young team and ownership has stood firm in the belief that we are headed in the right direction.

Our defense will probably end up having one of the best backfields in the league, and the rest of the D with the addition of Maybin and Shoebels return, WOW, I feel sorry for opposing QB's (NOT)

and our Special Teams, well , that ones easy, the best in the National Football league.

So when you look at the whole picture, Buffalo really does have a pretty good football team,

Time will tell...

We will only go as far this next year as Trent Edwards development will allow...if he steps up, we will be a playoff team and a dangerous one. If he plays like last year, we will be picking in the top 15 next year...I am optimistic about his advancement with all the weapons we brought in, but the other potential issue is how long will it take the line to gel and can TE stay healthy long enough if it takes 4 or 5 games.

While I DO feel like the pieces are in place, I have to disagree, purely on the basis that it usually takes at least a season for rookies to really get acclimated to the NFL game. Nelson will not have too much of an impact at first, as he will be learning how to run pro routes. Maybin will have to learn a few other techniques instead of having to rely on his speed to turn the corner.

But when all is said and done, to win football games, you have to be able to rush the passer, and stop the pass rush. This is no longer a game of "run and stop the run," especially since now, we play in a pass-happy league. Rush the passer...we MIGHT be able to accomplish this if Maybin GETS IT right away. My biggest concern is our ability to stop the pass rush. Like you said...time will tell. Let's hope that our new O-Line gels and meshes quickly.

While I DO feel like the pieces are in place, I have to disagree, purely on the basis that it usually takes at least a season for rookies to really get acclimated to the NFL game. Nelson will not have too much of an impact at first, as he will be learning how to run pro routes. Maybin will have to learn a few other techniques instead of having to rely on his speed to turn the corner.

Though it can be done...Both Eddie Royal and Ryan Clady had an oustanding rookie season for the Broncos last year.

I too have a good feeling going into next year. I think if the Bills find the right person on the team or still available in FA to fill the SAM position, Hardy and Steve step up at WR, the line comes together very quickly and our RBs get it done while Lynch is out the Bills could break the playoff drough.

Looking at the Pats I think they start to slide this year. However, the Jets are a team on the rise. Maybin and Co. need to welcome Dirty Sanchez to the AFC East in Mega Sack style!!! Let's Go Buffalo!!

Its been awhile since I felt like the Buffalo Bills finally have enough talent to match up with some of the big dogs in the league like the Pats or the Giants and get the job done. In my opinion times are changing and all we have to do is look, its all right there in front of us.

We have a good QB ( I say great , but I'll keep it real ) we have a very good group of running backs, we have a very good group of WR's, we have a good group of TE's now, and the O-line despite losing Jason Peters may end up being a decent line when all is said and done. The FO and coaching staff while maybe not the flashest and most experienced in the league has done a decent job with a very young team, and ownership has stood firm in the belief that we are headed in the right direction.

Time will tell...

At the risk of being a negative Nellie, I must say that I respectfully disagree. The potential is there but there are still many moving pieces. We effectively have an all new o-line in that they have not played together at the likely positions and we will have at least two if not three rookies or first year players in the mix. Everybody seems to have bought into TO being a savior but again he has not shown anything with Buffalo and in Buffalo's system yet. Mabin is an unproven rookie and if he is weak against the run we are exposed. The coaching staff and front office have not been world standard setting. You are kind giving Edwards a "good" rating. At times he has played well others he has looked awful.

I agree the potential for this team is as high as it has been for a long, long time. I look forward to the upcoming season but we have to see if the pieces have really fallen into place.

At the risk of being a negative Nellie, I must say that I respectfully disagree. The potential is there but there are still many moving pieces. We effectively have an all new o-line in that they have not played together at the likely positions and we will have at least two if not three rookies or first year players in the mix. Everybody seems to have bought into TO being a savior but again he has not shown anything with Buffalo and in Buffalo's system yet. Mabin is an unproven rookie and if he is weak against the run we are exposed. The coaching staff and front office have not been world standard setting. You are kind giving Edwards a "good" rating. At times he has played well others he has looked awful.

I agree the potential for this team is as high as it has been for a long, long time. I look forward to the upcoming season but we have to see if the pieces have really fallen into place.

Thoughtful words. You must be the only poster not drinking today.

:rolleyes:

I wish our players hated the Patsies, New Dork Jets and the Tuna as bad as they did back in the Brian Cox days. We need the 6 division games to be Ugly, Nasty games like the old days! Buffalo needs to step it up so that those games mean something and it was like playing the cross town rivals in High School. I'm looking forward to the days very soon where anyone dreads coming to Buffalo to play a game. I am happy to hear that several of our newly drafted players have "Nasty Streaks". Sometimes I think the Bills have become the nice guys in the NFL.... Time to step up and beat teams down and push the victory total up way beyond 7 a year!!!!!

Maybin..... Buffalo's new "SACK MASTER"

You are kind giving Edwards a "good" rating. At times he has played well others he has looked awful.

to be fair, he played not so good AFTER he got leveled by a.wilson. and i kind of fear hell be busted again early.

I like the future of this team as well. The one area that I feel could be our weakness next season is an area that I believe will be an area of strength in the future.

As of right now, there is not one player on the O-Line that will have been the starter at that same position the year before. Walker and Butler will both be playing a new position, Hangartner is new and Levitre and Woods are rookies. Our depth at line will most likely be Bell who is unproven but promising and Chambers a solid depth OLineman.

I do believe they will be an area of strength, but most likely not next year. Ultimately I believe our offense will not be much better than last years due to the Line.

However, I do believe that Edwards will progress, but if he isn't given much time to throw it really doesn't matter too much.

I just hope that OLine proves me wrong next year.

I too have a good feeling going into next year. I think if the Bills find the right person on the team or still available in FA to fill the SAM position, Hardy and Steve step up at WR, the line comes together very quickly and our RBs get it done while Lynch is out the Bills could break the playoff drough.

Looking at the Pats I think they start to slide this year. However, the Jets are a team on the rise. Maybin and Co. need to welcome Dirty Sanchez to the AFC East in Mega Sack style!!! Let's Go Buffalo!!

Why in the world do you think the Pats start to slide this year? Because they get Tom Brady back? Because they brought in proven veteran RB, WRs, TE and CBs and had, by all accounts a solid draft? Granted this is on paper only, but on paper the Pats are a much better team than they were last year. They also aquired two additional 2nd round picks for next year's draft, giving them 3 2nds and a 1st next year. Hate to say it, but the Hoodie is playing the proverbial game of chess, while everybody else plays checkers.

As for the Jets...Please take a look at their WR depth chart before anyone talks about them being on the rise. They are relying on a 1 year starter and QB and 1 solid starter and a bunch of nobody's at WR. This division is going to come down to the Fins and Pats again.

I think this will eb a good year for the team. Not sure if that'll equate to wins, but I'm pretty confident that they will look better than last year. I fully expect the team to score about 20 to 25 points per game and the defense to give up 17 to 21 per game.

I was initially of the opinion that the team really needed to upgrade the lines on both sides fo the ball to consistently win. I still believe that, but have tempered it a little. There were games last season where the offense was horrible. When you look back at the last year we actually had two WRs, they were pretty good in the passing game for most of the year (even if they trailed off towards the second half). Even though they were a good passing team, they ran pretty poorly and the o-line wasn't exactly all-pro caliber. I think a lot of people discount how much help another viable outside WR will be to the offense this year.

Also, to anyone who thinks that Maybin not being a good run defender makes a difference, you have to be kidding. Maybe we can talk about it in a year or two, but right now, all I care about with him is third and long when he's on the field. If he gets beat by a draw on third and long, I'll live with that. Especially if he gets a few sacks in those situations. This guy right now is only going to play 20 snaps a game. Maybe more by the end of the year, but almost certainly less in the beginning. The problem with this kid will be if he can't get to the QB at this level.

I like our team, too, it's certainly much more complete when everyone's healthy and, outside of a true 3rd starting LB, maybe a better #2 DT and depending how you feel about our LT situation, we're OK. Problem is, we can't discount the difficulty of our schedule. Last year was a breeze compared to this year's, and while I think we've made up ground on the Jets and Fins, the non-division games are going to be murder. We may be better but the record may not reflect it... plus if Maybin really does need at least a year to grow into a starting NFLer, it's 2010 that will be the interesting year and the one we should take a step up in.

Time will tell...

I feel that our offense will be better with adding T.O. But, I'm still concerned with our DE's. I'm glad we got Maybin, but Schobel is still a question mark. If Schobel can't rebound this season and if Maybin is only used as a situtional pass-rusher, then we might have the same problems again. I'm hoping Maybin is the right guy and he's able to get constant pressure on the QB. I don't feel confident in Kelsay & Denney as pass-rushers.

Edwards needs to show something, as far as I'm concerned he's a former third round draft pick with a middling statistics and suspect physically (both arm strength and durability)

We could very easily be 4-10 and in the market for a new QB by the end of the season.

I wish him and the team all the best, but we've got to see results.

Time will tell...

You listed 9 positive adjectives, and only two "decents". Too bad the two "decents" (OL & FO & Coaching staff) easily out-weigh all your "goods'' and "greats" and "Wows", year in and year out. With only a "decent" OL, all of that offensive talent can't score TD's. And with only a decent FO and coaching staff, most of your "goods" and "greats" end up being "decents" to "goods", because the FO did not bring the best players in, or the coaches did not utilize them in the best ways.

But I do agree with one thing, time will tell....

i'd feel a lot better if the bills went out and signed an OLB to put ellison back where he belongs - a solid backup and special teams contributor......that is the one glaring hole left on the roster post-draft

You listed 9 positive adjectives, and only two "decents". Too bad the two "decents" (OL & FO & Coaching staff) easily out-weigh all your "goods'' and "greats" and "Wows", year in and year out. With only a "decent" OL, all of that offensive talent can't score TD's. And with only a decent FO and coaching staff, most of your "goods" and "greats" end up being "decents" to "goods", because the FO did not bring the best players in, or the coaches did not utilize them in the best ways.

But I do agree with one thing, time will tell....

Stop with the grammer police already........