From an ACTUAL Source

Well, in all seriousness I just wanted to teehee a little about having an on-going association with an "insider!"

Give me some credit, the guy's my dad's age. I'm too young to roll as some of you old balls!

In all seriousness though, I'm about to make an analogy that I'm about to preface with the following: every now and again you have to share the TV with the Mrs. and Friends.

Dick Jauron reminds of me the charming neighbor who lives above Rachel, Phoebe, and Monica. He pisses them off SO much, but every time go upstairs to confront him, they end up apologizing and they always return cooing about what a nice guy he is.

The fictional character is SO charming, that he's never shown. It adds to his mystique.

At this point, Dick Jauron's niceness and charm are equally hyperbolic!

You're smokin' the good stuff tonight... :rolleyes:

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I think Jauron needs is some old blood to go with the fresh blood coaches he has hired. Maybe as consultants or something to play devil's advocate to his coaches' plans. Many older coaches stopped coaching due to sheer number of hours they work with little outside life.

I also think they need to rebuild scouting department which has never truely recovered since Butler left and many of the scouts left after their contracts ran out.

:rolleyes:

JP may blow (and I am convinced he does), but there were some horrendous decisions made during his tenure as a starter, that cost the Bills games... sometimes it just takes one mind numbing stupid decision to lose a game. A good coach has to realize, his QB will make some of those stupid mistakes, so he can't afford to.

See, and I really do hate to kill Losman because he's a solid dude, but Jauron tried to treat him like a man. They call a bomb to Evans against Denver that was wide open against the best QB in the NFL. Belicihick does that with Brady and is praised.

Jauron trusts Losman to throw out of the endzone in the season opener against the Pats (another confidence builder) and Losman runs out of the end zone for a safety.

We call a roll out against the Jets (again a play teams with QBs they can trust would call) and Losman fumbles.

If anything, it could be conclude that jauron probably trust players too much. But that is the type of coach he is. If you put a good Qb in there for Losman, those might be 3 wins.

Again, DJ isn't the best QB in the world but he also has been in crappy situations. Those Bears teams weren't very good and we were rebuilding. With no disrespect to Tony Dungy, Jauron would have be very successful in Indy too.

See, and I really do hate to kill Losman because he's a solid dude, but Jauron tried to treat him like a man. They call a bomb to Evans against Denver that was wide open against the best QB in the NFL. Belicihick does that with Brady and is praised.

Jauron trusts Losman to throw out of the endzone in the season opener against the Pats (another confidence builder) and Losman runs out of the end zone for a safety.

We call a roll out against the Jets (again a play teams with QBs they can trust would call) and Losman fumbles.

If anything, it could be conclude that jauron probably trust players too much. But that is the type of coach he is. If you put a good Qb in there for Losman, those might be 3 wins.

Again, DJ isn't the best QB in the world but he also has been in crappy situations. Those Bears teams weren't very good and we were rebuilding. With no disrespect to Tony Dungy, Jauron would have be very successful in Indy too.

Has Jauron made mistakes? Of course he has, I don't know of many coaches who haven't.

In terms of game winning or changing mistakes, in 2008, those were all player blunders.

I think peeps tend to forget that aside from Lindell and Moorman, the only leftovers from the Donahoe Era are our WR's and DE's-- Evans, Reed, Parish, Schobel, Kelsay, Denney.

This team has been gutted. Rebuilt. Without a top 5 draft pick, and without any flashy FA's, until this year.

It's been a methodical reconstruction, building for longevity and not for cheap wins now. We had critical player errors last season that cost us 4 games (MIA, NYJ, CLE, SF), but an 11-5 record would have looked a mighty bit better than another f-cking 7-9.

HAD we finished 11-5, a true fan would have told you what fluke it was, how it was a result of a laughably easy schedule.

We'll see how we handled the A/NFC South in 09. :rolleyes:

Hey bro, Im right there with ya. I can give you my whole theory about our F/O being equivalent to the cast from "Gilligan's Island" but then we're just going to lose this thread.

Too late for that. Trust me.

Not if it's the play I remember, where the Bills line caved so fast that the Pats d-linemen almost beat Losman to the spot he was dropping back to. Either way, he didn't run out of the end zone -- he tried to GET out of the end zone, but ran into Ty Warren, who was already finished using and abusing Chris Villarrial.

Here's how I broke down the replay:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=770220

3rd down: ball snapped at 8:39. Gandy barely lays a hand on Banta-Cain; he and Losman cross the goal line in a dead heat. On the other side, Colvin is circling around Peters. First contact (Banta-Cain) at 8:37. Losman evades him, but by this time, Villarrial is futilely trying to catch Warren, who has beaten him to the outside. Losman on the ground at 8:35.

Two seconds before he has to duck the first guy. Not sure he could've come straight forward, either, because that's right where Fowler was losing his block on Wilfork. (Kudos to Reyes on this play; his man, Seymour, was the only rusher NOT to make it into the end zone by the time Losman was down.)

Two friggin' seconds.

I always admire your Mike Leach love and he is an interesting guy & great college coach, but he would be a disaster in the NFL. A worse version of Spurrier. I'm sorry. :rolleyes:

Well of course I hope with all my heart that Dick Jauron will prove this season that he's as great an NFL coach as he is a human being, but the whole d-back thing - especially w/Graham Harrell still available in round 7...

When I chatted with Tech coach Mike Leach late in the draft, he laughed when I asked for his thoughts about Harrell still being available. Leach, who reiterated his stance that Harrell was the best quarterback in the draft, said he was no more surprised than when Tom Brady slipped to the sixth round.

"The truth of the matter is that the NFL drafts quarterbacks notoriously bad," said Leach, pointing to all the late-round and undrafted quarterbacks that have become elite players. "That's indisputable. ...

"I don't have an answer for why they don't have a skill for drafting a quarterback. Well, I think the priorities are out of order. Accurate and makes good decisions needs to be a priority, not something they need to teach him, because they don't do that very well.

"Arm strength is so overrated. I've got defensive ends with great arm strength, but they aren't accurate. Hey, maybe Brandon Williams can help them at quarterback. He's got a really strong arm."

link

"The truth of the matter is that the NFL drafts quarterbacks notoriously bad"

As a Bills fan, that's a tough one to argue with (Collins, Losman, RJ - yeah I know we didn't draft him, we just gave up a 1st that we woulda used to draft another POS QB).

I do think Edwards can be 'accurate and make good decisions' - I just wish it was Leach running the offense instead of Jauron/Schonert.

GO BILLSSS!!!!!

Well Big Cat, I have a inside source too, one who played for Dick Jauron during his time in Chicago. All he could say to me on the day of the Bills hiring him was a simple text that said: "Nice guy, can't win". When I called him days later and begged him to elaborate my friend was too classy to throw him under the bus but he did say that the guys in the room would step in front of a tank for him. The only knock he gave Dick was that his "game prep was questionable" and he struggled with change at half time.

At the end of the day, any Bills fan will tell you that Dick seems like a good person and a heckuva guy. But I don't want a swell guy, I want a winner. And Dick's record (as a Bills HC and leaguewide) is a losing one. And the results speak for themselves. You can't be in the league this long and amount to ONE winning season. His belief in the Tampa 2 and a strategy of let the defense keep you in games is long outdated for today's NFL.

And I hate to say it, but how many of us are fed up with what seems like him being outcoached every Sunday by better coaches of this league?

Sorry, Dick J's got to go.

And you can PM me too if you want to find out who my source is.

Not if it's the play I remember, where the Bills line caved so fast that the Pats d-linemen almost beat Losman to the spot he was dropping back to. Either way, he didn't run out of the end zone -- he tried to GET out of the end zone, but ran into Ty Warren, who was already finished using and abusing Chris Villarrial.

Here's how I broke down the replay:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=770220

Don't misconstrue this comment as a disagreement with you.

I just want to mention that on occasions where the defense beats the O-line off the snap that it's often a case where the quarterback is being too predictable in his snap count. Other times it's because the play clock has run down and the defense knows the snap is imminent. In either of these cases it often comes down to the quarterback not having the experience, savvy, and presence of mind to marshal the situation. One got this feeling with JP a lot.

Yeah you REALLY do hate to kill Losman. I quess that is why you do it so OFTEN, like every other post.

I just want to mention that on occasions where the defense beats the O-line off the snap that it's often a case where the quarterback is being too predictable in his snap count. Other times it's because the play clock has run down and the defense knows the snap is imminent. In either of these cases it often comes down to the quarterback not having the experience, savvy, and presence of mind to marshal the situation. One got this feeling with JP a lot.

No worries.

That particular play, it was third-and-forever from the two. Wasn't much doubt that they were on the way, and changing up the snap count would've been nigh impossible because of the crowd noise.

Personally, I thought they should've run up the white flag on that play, handed off, and sent out Moorman. As it was, I ended up with, "Well, at least it was ONLY a safety, and not a sack/strip/touchdown." (And as we saw at the Meadowswamp, he could manage that just as well ... :rolleyes: )

More likely the center has a tell and your self scouting is lacking or not done so you never correct it.

Don't misconstrue this comment as a disagreement with you, but...

"One got this feeling with JP a lot."

?????

Wasn't Losman one of the better ones at fooling the opposing D-line & drawing them offsides with his cadence & snap-count?

Overall it seems Dick Juaron simply lacks the confidence that I believe a successful head coach must have. Too often you hear head scratching quotes like: "we"re going to try and steal a win", "We're going to have to play very good football to beat them", "it's very tough to win in this league". He always plays the role of we're the younger, less experienced (aka worse) team. Its almost like he wants to point out the reasons why the team may lose the game before the game is even played. I just think his attitude of mediocrity has seeped down into the entire organization and eventually a change will need to be made.

I still want to puke when I think about not getting that field goal attempt off against New England this past season to end the first half. It's those plays that fall square on the shoulders of the head coach. I don't care how nice and respected he is, you need to know how to manage a game and motivate your players to be the best they can. To this point I would say Juaron has really done nothing but continuously disappoint as head coach of the Bills.

Don't misconstrue this comment as a disagreement with you, but...

"One got this feeling with JP a lot."

?????

Wasn't Losman one of the better ones at fooling the opposing D-line & drawing them offsides with his cadence & snap-count?

Geez Senator. You might be right but I really don't remember Losman being particularly astute in any aspect, particularly the mental side of the game. He never struck me as a guy who was manipulating the defense with his cadence.

I do know that Trent Edwards was sacked on less than 6% of his pass attempts and that JP was sacked on nearly 13% of his pass attempts so it seems questionable how much the defense was affected by JP's cadence...how much he was keeping them off balance. There are other factors involved of course so this is just an observation.