Serious offense question......

SKOOBY

Don't forget to take into account, the crack (pipe) offensive play calling that wowed the NFL last season. Between Dickie the J, Snert and Fewell, I would rank those coaches right up there with Moe, Larry and Curly Joe (no....not Curly OR Shemp). The Bills are going to win games in spite of the coaching staff, not because of 'em.

TSW is in fine form today...

:blink:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to think we have the pieces to be an above avg offense. If weather is on our side (trent is atrocious in poor weather games) I think we can finish above 500. We have an above avg WR corp, above avg RB's. avg QB, avg line, and below avg TE. Biggest question is how will our D hold up? I believe the defense will be middle of ghe pack, and if the offense can sustain some drives and keep the D off the field, they will be a top 10 defense

I have to go w/ Buffalo Bill.

Teams will defend our offense by pressuring Edwards. If the line can give him the time, and Edwards can find the open man, downfield, the Bills will be tough to beat.

If Edwards is taking hits or dumping the ball, the Bills will not be able to put together drives and will not score enough.

The same way the Giants stopped Tom Brady and the undefeated record breaking Patriots in the SB: sack Trent Edwards.

We have an inexperienced O line that could be good some day but in all likelihood won't be next year. What we do have is depth and versatility up there, which are the two best attributes you can have to mitigate the effects of injuries. I don't understand why people wouldn't want us to make a move for a good LT, Levi Jones seeming to be the best candidate to me. You are willing to start with our current line, so why not upgrade it and still have the security of knowing you would have been happy to start with that line to begin with in case he gets injured? Sign the guy to an incentive laden contract and rest peacefully knowing you have more than adequate backup if he can't play every game.

If the Bills do that then it would be interesting to see other teams try and stop them.

And Skooby you're an idiot.

It is called the dime package. Not to mention many other teams, unlike the Bills last year, figured out that if the QB is sacked it does not matter who is running routes. :blink:

Any time a team has to consider using a dime package in lieu of their base defense you have to think that is a good sign for your offense. But great, I hope they do line up in a dime. This isn't Madden football. You line up with 5 in the box and Marshawn Lynch/Backup(s) is going to run wild all over your face. I would love to see teams take that approach.

If and I mean IF the coaches have any clue on how to call plays, this offense should be devastating. From a pure talent perspective, this is the best set of skill position players we have ever had (yes, better than the early 90's). We have 3 receivers who can stretch the field (assuming Nelson is as good a pass catcher as they say he is), a good possession receiver in Reed and 2 1/2 great backs out of the backfield (Lynch only gets a half because he drops passes when he is wide open).

The key to running this offense and keeping the pass rush off of Edwards is the following:

1. Throw the ball deep 4+ times a game - this will stretch the field and keep the db's back

2. Run 3+ screens a game - this will keep opposing teams from Blitzing

3. Run 6+ play action passes - This will open up the running game, as they won't stack 8 men in the box. If they do, we should be able to throw all day.

The problem is all that is a big IF. What I don't understand is Turk is a product of Sam Wyche's old offense where Boomer Esiason was probably one of the best Play Action QB's in the game, yet we rarely, if ever run true play action passes.

Bottom line, give them the proper play calling and this offense could be top 5 in the league with minimum negative plays. Give them the s@%##y playcalling we had last year and its going to be a long season...

Teams will defend our offense by pressuring Edwards. If the line can give him the time, and Edwards can find the open man, downfield, the Bills will be tough to beat.

If Edwards is taking hits or dumping the ball, the Bills will not be able to put together drives and will not score enough.

OK....you're gonna make me get serious here, if only for a minute.....

I would be a lot closer to agreeing with you if:

TE didn't regress during the 2nd half of the season

While the OL did a better job of pass protection during the 2nd half of the season.

It seemed that TE and the OL never got in synch last year. During the first 5 games, TE was in the top 5 rated QB's in the league. And the offensive line STUNK. Just fricking rancid. The OL really came around in terms of pass protection the 2nd half of the season, and TE tanked (such as the Cleveland game).

If, and it is a big IF, especially considering the so-called "coaching staff", the OL can continue to pass protect the way they did in the 2nd half of the season, and TE can return to the form he showed in the first half of the season, then we've got something.

But I gotta warn you, no matter how good the musicians are in the orchestra, a bad conductor can make 'em sound like crap.

Happy Analogy Day.

Guest dog14787

You have to remember who he's dumping off and going short with now though, TO, Nelson, Fred Jackson, Marshawn, and Rhodes. Suddenly dumping the ball off is not going to be a bad option, especially when you already have half the opposing defense on there heels because their facing to many explosive weapons and a QB who can get them the ball.

OK....you're gonna make me get serious here, if only for a minute.....

I would be a lot closer to agreeing with you if:

TE didn't regress during the 2nd half of the season

While the OL did a better job of pass protection during the 2nd half of the season.

It seemed that TE and the OL never got in synch last year. During the first 5 games, TE was in the top 5 rated QB's in the league. And the offensive line STUNK. Just fricking rancid. The OL really came around in terms of pass protection the 2nd half of the season, and TE tanked (such as the Cleveland game).

If, and it is a big IF, especially considering the so-called "coaching staff", the OL can continue to pass protect the way they did in the 2nd half of the season, and TE can return to the form he showed in the first half of the season, then we've got something.

But I gotta warn you, no matter how good the musicians are in the orchestra, a bad conductor can make 'em sound like crap.

Happy Analogy Day.

I am still convinced that TE was suffering from non-linear post-concussion syndrome. He shouldn't have been playing. Now that he has had ample time to recover, I think he will return to 75%+ passing accuracy...

Guest dog14787
I am still convinced that TE was suffering from non-linear post-concussion syndrome. He shouldn't have been playing. Now that he has had ample time to recover, I think he will return to 75%+ passing accuracy...

An opinion shared by many and is probably true.

Actually....the question I am going to have is are the bills going to do it CORRECTLY or are they going to make sure TO is happy and catching lots of balls......

I am sure we will throw at TO quite a bit....but the fact of the matter is with Evans, TO, and now a legit receiving TE we are going to really spread defenses out......but means (coupled with some nasty blocking up the middle) our running backs should be facing a lot less "meet ya in the backfield because we know you wont pass it" defense.....

We shoud run.....and we should run a lot. This will allow us to control the games and keep TE healthy from taking hits in pass protection from the edges

If we dial it up right.....we should be able to do ALL of these things......get opposing teams down in the score column.....and allow your defense and especially our shiny new toy Maybin to really get after quarterbacks since they will have to throw.

On the first play, they will blitz past our crappy OTs and sack Trent, knocking into next week.

One the second play, Ryan Fitzpatrick will be behind center. Enough said.

I joke, but our O-line is a big question mark. I think the middle of the line will be better than last year, but we will have to keep our fingers crossed that our Tackles can hold up.

It is exciting to have this many weapons, but our line is questionable and Trent needs to step up and be the man the many fans think he can be.

Well said

The great thing about having a legit receiving threat at TE now is that it completely forces the defense to play our offense fairly.

With Evans, Owens, Nelson and at least one running back who can catch out of the backfield all on the field on any given play, the defense always has to respect the pass. With a high-quality running backs and bruisers on the interior line, the defense always has to respect the run.

The personnel MIGHT just be in place to finally have a dangerously balanced offense with true play-makers to take advantage any time a defense leans too far one way.

Of course, there are at least three reasons this could all be for nothing:

1. One or more of said play-makers turn out to be lack-luster or miss playing time.

2. Turk cannot figure out how to call a balanced game, capitalizing on trends, mismatches and over-compensating defenses.

3. Trent isn't able (or allowed) to make solid reads and audibles at the line. If he cannot read blitzes and exploit defenses when they start stacking the line, then all this discussion, extending Evans, drafting Nelson and signing TO is all for nothing.

Since all this seems to have come together by design, I really hope we can cross 2 and 3 off that list soon.

The great thing about having a legit receiving threat at TE now is that it completely forces the defense to play our offense fairly.

With Evans, Owens, Nelson and at least one running back who can catch out of the backfield all on the field on any given play, the defense always has to respect the pass. With a high-quality running backs and bruisers on the interior line, the defense always has to respect the run.

The personnel MIGHT just be in place to finally have a dangerously balanced offense with true play-makers to take advantage any time a defense leans too far one way.

Of course, there are at least three reasons this could all be for nothing:

1. One or more of said play-makers turn out to be lack-luster or miss playing time.

2. Turk cannot figure out how to call a balanced game, capitalizing on trends, mismatches and over compensating defenses.

3. Trent isn't able (or allowed) to make solid reads and audibles at the line. If he cannot exploit defenses when they start stacking the line, then all this discussion, extending Evans, drafting Nelson and signing TO is all for nothing.

Since all this seems to have come together by design, I really hope we can cross 2 and 3 off that list soon.

Or,

4. Royal's blocking skills were vital, after all...