Todd McShay's draft ratings

On ESPN Mel Kiper has said the Bills had the best draft. :rolleyes:

He is online right now (chat on espn.com) and had this to say:

James ( Avalon NJ ): If the season were to start tomarrow what team drafted the largest group of instant impact players?

Mel Kiper: (12:17 PM ET ) I think the Green Bay Packers have five guys who could be starters. I think the Buffalo Bills did a good job. They didn't get the OT, but they got a lot of guys that could make an impact and play. I think the Bears, for not having a first day pick did a good job. I really like Jarron Gilbert, DJ Moore, Johnny Knox. I think the Bears for getting out of the first day did a pretty good job overall.

Buffalo Bills

2009 draft class

Best pick: DE/OLB Aaron Maybin, Penn State (First round, No. 11 overall)

Worst pick: C Eric Wood, Louisville (First round, No.28 overall)

Bottom line: On paper this is one of the best drafts of 2009. I would have liked to see them take an OT with one of their two first-round picks and Wood was a bit of a reach late in the first, he and G Andrew Levitre will ultimately become starters and boost what was the weakest area of the team entering the draft. Buffalo's second biggest priority was to upgrade its pass rush and that goal was accomplished by selecting Maybin, who is the best pure edge rusher in this class. Maybin will play in a rotation with Chris Kelsay and Aaron Schobel early on and will have time to get bigger and stronger. And watch out for TE Shawn Nelson, who could turn into a late-round steal.

McShay is an idiot - how does the guy who will ultimately become a starter also be the worst pick on the team? Is he trying to say that the rest of the guys we picked will be starters before Wood will make it?

We've got to stop listening to these 'analyst' freaks!!!

McShay is an idiot - how does the guy who will ultimately become a starter also be the worst pick on the team? Is he trying to say that the rest of the guys we picked will be starters before Wood will make it?

We've got to stop listening to these 'analyst' freaks!!!

While I liked both the pick and the player a lot, and I don't really like Todd McShay, you can easily say a starter can be the "worst pick". The question isn't will he be the best player. Analysts evaluate drafts and single picks based on a lot of factors, not the least of which are who else was available at that time, whether similar players at that position with similar talents could be drafted in later rounds (it was a deep C draft), what the team needs were, how high that player was rated (like if he was thought to be a first round talent or not), etc. McShay could be wrong on all those accounts, but it's easy to see why a #1 pick or a #2 pick could be your "worst pick".

It doesn't at all mean how good the player was, is or will become. The same way a #4 or a #5 could be your "best pick". It could turn out that Shawn Nelson was "our best pick", and a lot of people think that is true. It doesn't mean he will be a better player or more valuable than Maybin or Wood, etc.

Not that I agree, but I think his issue is not with Wood as a player, but more with what we didn't get with that pick (ie a tackle).

Just a SWAG, but my guess he though Oher at #11 was the correct choice. That's as may be, but I continue to shake my head at how unprepared many of the prominent talking heads are. It's pretty obvious that Peters going to PHI wasn't exactly a plus for an iffy OL. I'm not a real big fan of the Maybin pick, but you would think that these folks would be able to glean that the BUF d-line needs help.

It amazes me how unprepared most of these pundits are - poor at studying the needs and problems and tendencies of only 32 business organizations, and about a sport that is a four-act play repeated with this or that variation over a hundred years as well. It's child's play compared to - say - an analyst that studies commodity prices with thousands of competing participants and issues all over the globe.

I think that the bulk of them are no more than boisterous pretty boys working an entertainment gig.

I think we did pretty well. We bolstered the interior line, helped the pass rush, and got a pass catching tight end. I don't think our OTs are great but the corps is solid enough to get the job done. I don't mind all of the picks in the secondary, I think we're going to end up missing Greer a lot so I'm all for bring more depth there.

Just a SWAG, but my guess he though Oher at #11 was the correct choice. That's as may be, but I continue to shake my head at how unprepared many of the prominent talking heads are. It's pretty obvious that Peters going to PHI wasn't exactly a plus for an iffy OL. I'm not a real big fan of the Maybin pick, but you would think that these folks would be able to glean that the BUF d-line needs help.

It amazes me how unprepared most of these pundits are - poor at studying the needs and problems and tendencies of only 32 business organizations, and about a sport that is a four-act play repeated with this or that variation over a hundred years as well. It's child's play compared to - say - an analyst that studies commodity prices with thousands of competing participants and issues all over the globe.

I think that the bulk of them are no more than boisterous pretty boys working an entertainment gig.

Not sure what you mean, cincy. McShay has been gushing over the Maybin pick at every opportunity, and has specifically said the Bills came into the draft needing an edge rusher, and filled a need at #11. I know you're speaking more broadly, but he seems to have done his homework in this case.

Jesus, you're such a crotchety old man. These guys have clearly put in weeks and weeks of studying what teams need while representatives of those teams are deliberately misleading them for their own gain. McShay and Kiper do a great job of breaking down players for our entertainment. Do they get everything right? Obviously not. But for the life of me I can't figure out why people complain about them time and time again.

Don't you feel good that the Bills think enough of their OT's that they didn't even draft one? I mean think about it; if they had any reservations about them, and we're talking about coaches, etc who know more about the state of the team than anyone, then we would have grabbed one in the 1st couple of rounds rather than taking 2 guards.

It's obvious to me that the staff feels that with Walker, Chambers, Bell, and now the Butler move, they are A-OK at OT and they worked on the OG position in the draft. If the dreams of the Bills' mice and men turn out for the best and this OL jells, look out AFC East, because we most definitely have the RB's and now a complete set of receivers to do some serious damage.

:lol::lol::lol:

:thumbsup:

Two years ago when McShay slagged us, he was a TSW moron. Go figure...

well it looks like he was right back then, let's hope he's right now

I'd like someone at ESPN to regard their drafts 3 years down teh line, that would make for an interesting read, but would require some accountability on their part (fat chance)