Round 4, Pick 121: SHAWN NELSON, TE, Southern Miss

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to admit this Pick shocked Me because it's it made SO much sense and The Bills rarely Draft that way...This Kid is a heck of a good recieving TE and athlete in a Draft full of guys like that...4.56 at 6-5-240...That is elite 40 time at that size...He's a TE you throw out there when you spread the Offense and you dare Defenses to cover him with a slower LB or a smaller S...The thing is Nelson seems to be at least a bit more willing and able to Block than many of the TE's that went before him...I think he plays immediately in certain packages and maybe in a couple years he's a complete NFL TE...I love this pick... :thumbsup:

Cribbs, you mention Maybin as a RDE - the nice thing about him is that he was equally productive from the left side, so he offers a lot of flexibility - They'll probably move him around a lot. I'd also expect to see him actually line up to one side of Schobel in 3rd and long situations.

We haven't seen the rest of the cuts on teams yet. Some teams will cut because they got the person they wanted in the draft. We havent seen whatelse is out there, but there's enough FA talent left to get us where we want to be.

I'm not being a smartass, just asking who is out there. I know Hill just became available but who else.

Every time I read "has trouble keeping his weight" I chuckle. When I was 21 I could eat half a cow and a quarter of a pig and I never went above 180lbs. Five years later......not so much.

Now I have a pretzel and I gain 2 pounds...WTF!

ROLF!

:thumbsup:

Cribbs, you mention Maybin as a RDE - the nice thing about him is that he was equally productive from the left side, so he offers a lot of flexibility - They'll probably move him around a lot. I'd also expect to see him actually line up to one side of Schobel in 3rd and long situations.

IMHO

He just may be our LB.

Size, speed and burst to play pass rushing LB.

Would LOVE it!

Have to admit this Pick shocked Me because it's it made SO much sense and The Bills rarely Draft that way...

I completely agree...and that saddens me.

If they pick OLB or OT in the next round, I may have to go and check to see if Ralph truly is still in charge.

WOW what a great pick we drafted another Wide Receiver.....OOOOPPSS!!!! I mean tight end....just looking at this guy, there is no way he develops into a semi decent blocker.......I always was big on Derek Fine and I think he is your starter...with Schouman playing 2nd TE and some FB

Wow. I'll certainly trust your well-trained talent evaluator's eye to guys who do this for a living...... :thumbsup:

From his NFL.com evaluation page:

The tall, lanky receiver developed into the Golden Eagles' best pass catcher during his time with the team, but also showed impressive blocking technique, averaging 45 knockdowns per season during his career. He also proved to be a clutch pass catcher, scoring 16 times on 155 receptions, the second-highest total by a USM player.

I'm not being a smartass, just asking who is out there. I know Hill just became available but who else.

In no particular order.

Wesly Mallard LB

Darrell McClover LB

Robert McCune LB

Willie McGinest LB

Ryan Nece LB

Dontarrious Thomas LB

Jamie Winborn LB

Freddy Keiaho LB

Paris Lenon LB

Wesly Mallard LB

Darrell McClover LB

Robert McCune LB

Willie McGinest LB

ROLF!

:thumbsup:

True that.

Phrases like, "do you want the other pizza were common when I was that age."

I wanted to jog and bike, and swim too.

Now the wife makes me steamed veggies and asks me when is the last time I used the health club membership - "sigh..."

In no particular order.

Wesly Mallard LB

Darrell McClover LB

Robert McCune LB

Willie McGinest LB

Ryan Nece LB

Dontarrious Thomas LB

Jamie Winborn LB

Freddy Keiaho LB

Paris Lenon LB

Wesly Mallard LB

Darrell McClover LB

Robert McCune LB

Willie McGinest LB

Wow. I'll certainly trust your well trained talen evaluator eye to guys who do this for a living...... :thumbsup:

From his NFL.com evaluation page:

The tall, lanky receiver developed into the Golden Eagles' best pass catcher during his time with the team, but also showed impressive blocking technique, averaging 45 knockdowns per season during his career. He also proved to be a clutch pass catcher, scoring 16 times on 155 receptions, the second-highest total by a USM player.

he is a weak blocker

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingrepo...hawn-Nelson.php

I don't dislike the pick but would have taken Hill who ironically went to Houston with very next pick. We just took fine last year in fourth to be the route runner, we need a blocker and Hill can block. He also could transition into tackle.

Per Scouts Inc.:

21(121) Buffalo (from Philadelphia) Shawn Nelson TE Southern Miss

Nelson is blessed with outstanding athleticism for a tight end. He possesses good top-end speed and has excellent length and body control when catching the football. Not to mention, Nelson has extremely soft and reliable hands. He also has vastly improved as a run-blocker.

22(122) Houston (from Minnesota) Anthony Hill TE North Carolina State

Although Hill is extremely limited as an athlete his value comes from his ability as an inline blocker. In fact, he's our top-rated rblocking tight end. He possesses brute strength at the point of attack and can push defenders off the ball.

I'm happy with the pick.

Ranked as the 56th best player by Gil Brandt. Got value and talent. Way to go

Also Gosselin's 55th player and Scout's Inc's 50th player. This is a very solid pick.

So let me get this straight. We've just drafted starters at the following positions:

RDE

LG

RG

FS

TE

This is by far one of the best drafts we've had on paper in a long time.

Great picks and I wonder if we'll use any of our remaining picks on a QB with more than few serviceable ones still out there.

Part of wants us to pick Reilly so Jaworski WILL SHUT UP ABOUT HIM! Jesus!

I'm thinking Levitre won't be a starter immediately. Wood and Butler will be the guards.

Well considering he was mostly a LDE at Penn State, more often than not he'll probably line up at the opposite end from Schobel.

Speaking of pass rushers I really, really, really wanted us to take Lawrence Sidbury with the Nelson pick (which I still like). Sidbury was viewed as a 2nd round pick. He's been compared to Matthias Kiwanuka. Scout Inc had him as their 49th player and Gosselin had him as the 67th player. With Schobel playing only 21 of the last 32 games and having only 7.5 sacks in that time, I valued pass rusher above pass catching tight end.