Pettigrew Love?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not the smartest guy around but how does a player average 12.9 (and 15.4 ypc one season) yards per catch for his career without a catch over 10 yards??? :huh:

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/cviewpla...sp?Player=36850

Yeah I looked at his senior year when he had 42 catches for 472 yds ,including the bowl game. Around 11.2 a catch. There probably were a couple against weak teams more than 10 yds with 0 tds. yeah 0. Hey to each his own. you like him in the 1st I don`t.

Yeah I looked at his senior year when he had 42 catches for 472 yds ,including the bowl game. Around 11.2 a catch. There probably were a couple against weak teams more than 10 yds with 0 tds. yeah 0. Hey to each his own. you like him in the 1st I don`t.

You didn't read my post did you?

he missed 4 games his senior year.

Cook had 37 receptions in 12 games his senior year and only 70 through out his whole career, in a Steve Spurrier offense.

What's his excuse?

Let me show you what I found regarding Cook:

Football Sense: While Cook has good field vision and natural pass catching skills, he is too much of a freelancer and has never really played in a sophisticated system. He lines up too wide to be considered a traditional tight end and even though he has good power, when he is closer to the linemen he does not always use his hands well to get a clean release. He has a lot of Troy Williamson in him, in that he feels he can get by on sheer athleticism over technique. He should be more alert to his surroundings as a blocker, an area that he will never be stellar in, but gives too much of an inconsistent effort. GRADE: 5.6

Competitiveness: Cook likes to be the number called in pressure situations, but is certainly not the table setter the staff makes him out to be. He is prone to concentration lapses and while he plays hard and shows very good toughness going vertical, he needs to play with better control, as he likes to improvise when he shouldn't. He likes be challenged and did step up vs. top-level competition, but toward the end of the 2008 campaign there were times you had to put out an APB to find him on the field. As an athlete, the football gods smiled down on him, but as a football player he has had just pedestrian numbers in the production category. GRADE: 5.9

Work Habits: Cook has worked hard each year to improve his overall athletic ability, increase his strength and bulk and learn the little nuances of his position. He still freelances more than he should, and the real concern is his inconsistency as a blocker. He has the strength to at least put forth a decent job there, but you just don't see much of an effort when asked to block at the line of scrimmage. This, more than anything, could be a reason a team looking for a complete tight end might pass on him. Teams looking for a big receiver to stretch the field might benefit most from his athletic talent, but must realize there is a lot of work left before he can become a true football player.GRADE: 6.4

Compares To: VERNON DAVIS, San Francisco -- Cook might not be a great fit for a team looking for a traditional tight end, as he might be better served in motion. He is bigger than Davis and just as quick. Cook won't match up strength-wise, but he is getting close. The problem is that he likes to freelance a lot and is too inconsistent as a blocker. At times, he reminds some of former South Carolina bust Troy Williamson, a speedster with a lack of focus. As for production, it has been ho-hum, meaning he will be drafted much higher based on his athleticism than his final numbers on the field. There were some very hush-hush moves on the SC staff's part in regards to his foot injury last year, and further medical evaluation would ease the minds of some teams there.

Ya,

I want this guy :huh:

I agree and have been saying this for a while. We dont know how Fine will be this season but we have alot bigger issues on our team. I dont want to see Keith Ellison on the feild unless its on special teams and same goes for Denny and Kelsay, unless they fill in for a play to give our studs a breather. I really want a stud OLB like coushing or even mathews and tyson jackson (even though he is better fit in a 3-4) Orakpo (my #1 choise) he is a monster and i dont think he is the steriotypical lazy texas longhorn. I also like Everette Brown and I am undecided on Maybin but the scouts seem to think he is the best in the group. If all three or 4 of these DE's fall to us at 11 then if we can trade up for more picks then lets do it. As long as we get DE and OLB with our first two picks I will be a happy bills fan. Maybe try to get that Oklahoma guard in the second round or one of the three centers (wood, mack, unger) in the second. TE's are deep and we can get a good one in the third if we want. I also really want John Henderson and would be willing to part with a 3rd or a 4th and roscoe.

ahh, spellcheck....it's a beautiful thing. Ever heard of it?

Why? There hasn't been a better run/catch combination TE that has come out of college as good as Pettigrew in a long time.

You have to remember Buffaloed, He came from a program that ran the ball as much as any other team in all of college football at OK. state. Just to put things into perspective for you, Ok. State has had more yards rushing than passing in each of the last 3 years. So at 6'5 265 lbs and being the man that he is, he was used to demolish defenders at the point of attack. I don't know if you caught the Texas game but he manhandled Orapko on numerous occasions and Orapko is a DE who is known for his strength, he is that good in the run pass blocking game.

So he wasn't used as much as he could of been in Ok. State's system. Mike Gundy has publicly stated that Pettigrew's numbers could of been a lot more impressive than what they were if they passed the ball more. He still managed to improve every season and if it wasn't for his ankle injury in his senior season, where he missed 4 games, if you prorate his numbers he would of had 63 receptions and 700 yards in a run run team. So his numbers his senior year would of been very impressive had he not gotten injured.

The scouts say his hands are very soft and that he can catch balls fluidly above his head on the run with ease. He is very agile and quick for his size, which helps him separate. he has good jumping ability and he is a huge target.

The coaches say he has a deep desire to improve and that he loves the game. I see you keep bringing up his character issue that he had, but I suppose you havn't read where that NFL teams are not concerned with it, because they know he is a good kid and that they believe it was a one time incident.

Coaches say he loves to practice and has a terrific attitude.

What you have to remember, which I feel like many people forget to do is that Tight Ends are there to block and catch passes. If you have a Tight End that is not able to block effectively than you are not getting full use of your TE.

This kid is the total package. I know you like Jared Cook, but every time you mention something about him, the only thing you mention about him is his athletic ability and that he is fast. Jared Cook is a phenomenal athlete, but he isn't a Football player. Steve Spurrier has questioned his work ethic, his intensity at practice and they consider him a "non willing blocker" . His production was never anything special and other than his athletic ability, he has shown very little.

Pettigrew is going to help us out immediately. In my view and many others he is the most NFL ready player to come out of college this year. He will help us out in the run game right from the beginning, he will help us in the passing game by staying back and helping block to allow our receivers to have time to get open, and he will help us out as a great short / huge intermediate pass target, safety valve for Trent.

The other guys could turn out to be decent Tight Ends, but their learning curve is going to be much larger than Pettigrew's when we need them to block. Let's not forget, that we run %50 of the time. So we do need blocking equally as much as passing, and he gives us the best option.

So that's why

you should read this article

http://buf.scout.com/2/858448.html

And he scored 0 touchdowns last season?????

Cook had 37 receptions in 12 games his senior year and only 70 through out his whole career, in a Steve Spurrier offense.

What's his excuse?

Football Sense: While Cook has good field vision and natural pass catching skills, he is too much of a freelancer and has never really played in a sophisticated system. He lines up too wide to be considered a traditional tight end and even though he has good power, when he is closer to the linemen he does not always use his hands well to get a clean release. He has a lot of Troy Williamson in him, in that he feels he can get by on sheer athleticism over technique. He should be more alert to his surroundings as a blocker, an area that he will never be stellar in, but gives too much of an inconsistent effort. GRADE: 5.6

Competitiveness: Cook likes to be the number called in pressure situations, but is certainly not the table setter the staff makes him out to be. He is prone to concentration lapses and while he plays hard and shows very good toughness going vertical, he needs to play with better control, as he likes to improvise when he shouldn't. He likes be challenged and did step up vs. top-level competition, but toward the end of the 2008 campaign there were times you had to put out an APB to find him on the field. As an athlete, the football gods smiled down on him, but as a football player he has had just pedestrian numbers in the production category. GRADE: 5.9

Work Habits: Cook has worked hard each year to improve his overall athletic ability, increase his strength and bulk and learn the little nuances of his position. He still freelances more than he should, and the real concern is his inconsistency as a blocker. He has the strength to at least put forth a decent job there, but you just don't see much of an effort when asked to block at the line of scrimmage. This, more than anything, could be a reason a team looking for a complete tight end might pass on him. Teams looking for a big receiver to stretch the field might benefit most from his athletic talent, but must realize there is a lot of work left before he can become a true football player.GRADE: 6.4

Compares To: VERNON DAVIS, San Francisco -- Cook might not be a great fit for a team looking for a traditional tight end, as he might be better served in motion. He is bigger than Davis and just as quick. Cook won't match up strength-wise, but he is getting close. The problem is that he likes to freelance a lot and is too inconsistent as a blocker. At times, he reminds some of former South Carolina bust Troy Williamson, a speedster with a lack of focus. As for production, it has been ho-hum, meaning he will be drafted much higher based on his athleticism than his final numbers on the field. There were some very hush-hush moves on the SC staff's part in regards to his foot injury last year, and further medical evaluation would ease the minds of some teams there.

Ya,

I want this guy :thumbsup:

What's his excuse?

Ya,

I want this guy :thumbsup:

Yeah put Vernon Davis on the Pats or Colts and see what he could do. Just like the sh------- play of S. Carolina Q.B. and offense. Hey, like I said time will tell.

I don`t get it . First trouble with the law stricking a police officer and drunk in public charges. Slow as hell. Real Td threat ....0 . Great blocker with hands. Didn`t we just get rid of a guy like him. ( robert Royal) ? 1st rd pick ? Not by me ,too many other more important needs. De or two. An olb ,you really want Ellison? A o-lineman. He will not be that big of an impact player .

Have you ever seen the guy play?

he isnt slow as hell (please) but he isnt a speed demon either but how many TE's are? Jason Witten isnt winning many races but the guy is always open, makes plays and is tough to bring down

no TDs last year but 9 the previous 3, did you even bother to look at that? 112 receptions for 1450 yards and 9 TDs for his career is pretty good for a college TE especially with all the spread offenses being played now

the guy is a big TE who is a very good blocker and can make plays

Id love to see the Bills get him at 28 but I dont see him being there

Guest dog14787
Anyone who denies that he would be a great pick in the 1st rd is lying to themselves. At 11, the argument can go either way. Personally between pick 17-28 sounds about right to me, and 28 is stretching it.

Vernon Davis 6th pic, Kellen Winslow Jr. 6th, Jeremy Shockey 14th, Tony Gonzalez 13th pic overall, both Pro bowlers I might add and this is since 1997 so where is this 17 on coming from, are folks just guessing at it?

Any FO or coaching staff stupid enough to try to develop a young QB without a top notch Tight End should be canned. :thumbsup:

Guest dog14787
This logic is ridiculous. You get the player or you don't. It's that simple.

why can't anyone understand that, hello, we need a TE for TE, so between the TE's and the TO's we get more TD's :thumbsup:

Vernon Davis 6th pic, Kellen Winslow Jr. 6th, Jeremy Shockey 14th, Tony Gonzalez 13th pic overall, both Pro bowlers I might add and this is since 1997 so where is this 17 on coming from, are folks just guessing at it?

Any FO or coaching staff stupid enough to try to develop a young QB without a top notch Tight End should be canned. :thumbsup:

It has nothing to do with past years, it has to do with our needs and the talent that would be available at 11. It also has to do with the needs of other teams and the talent available to the teams between 12-16. IMO, the next place that he may go if we didn't take him is to the Jets at 17, then if he slid to us at 28, we wouldn't pass on him. Does a team draft the RB they like at pick 7 just because Adrian Peterson was drafted there a few years ago?

I don`t get it . First trouble with the law stricking a police officer and drunk in public charges. Slow as hell. Real Td threat ....0 . Great blocker with hands. Didn`t we just get rid of a guy like him. ( robert Royal) ? 1st rd pick ? Not by me ,too many other more important needs. De or two. An olb ,you really want Ellison? A o-lineman. He will not be that big of an impact player .

Well, he did either elbow or forearm a cop in a melee outside a bar. But Modrak has said that they interviewed him and that they think he is a good kid. The Bills don't tell what they are going to do before a draft, but they don't lie either. If they don't take Pettigrew, it won't be because they are worried about his character.

Royal had hands? Really? Wish he'd used them once in a while. His hands were very inconsistent.

Slow as hell? This just isn't true. Not extremely fast. Yup. That's right. So the question is whether you can get by with a recieving TE who has all the other things you need from a recieving TE but is not upper echelon fast. IMHO, the Bills want a TE who can block. They have had chance after chance after chance to get recieving TEs who can't block, year after year, and they have never done it. I just don't think they value TEs high unless they can block. And the fact is that for TEs who can block, there are only two or three guys in the world who also have upper echelon speed. You can wait forever for guys like that to come along and they often go top 10.

I think the Bills believe Pettigrew would be good value at #11. I just think that the trade of Peters created a massive hole at LT which can't satisfactorily be filled later. I think the trade of Peters doomed us to live without Pettigrew.