Tony Gonzalez traded to Atlanta

Leonidas, I usually agree with you. But a second round pick in next years draft isn't overpaying for him i dont think.

Reasons being, the Falcons were desperatly needing a TE. Its about the only thing the Falcons were missing on the offensive side of the ball.

This will allow them to go defense with their first three picks. They need a guy at every level. Grady Jackson(DT) Coleman (DT) Brooking (LB) Boley (LB) and Milloy (S) are all gone. Now Brooking, Milloy, Jackson, and Coleman needed to go.

However that was a lot of Vetran leadership gone, not to mention Crumpler and Dunn from last year.

Gonzo has a few good years left, and he can be a very solid locker room guy.

Dimitrof pulled a good one here.

Maybe. It all depends on how long he plays and at what level. Personally, I love him for Matty Ryan. Ryan is a guy who is playing well beyond his years and Gonzo will be nothing but a good influence on him. That being said, I think Gonzo was quoted last year at only wanting to play "one, maybe two more years." Does he retire after the '09 season? Possibly. If he does - assuming Atlanta doesn't make the SB thanks to Gonzo - then KC ripped them off. But if Gonzo does the Brett Favre thing (with albeit less drama and perhaps quicker decision making rather than at the start of training camp every year), performs at a high level and solidifies the position for the next four years as the Falcons continue to progress as perennial contenders while KC squanders the draft pick on a notoriously thin draft, then Atlanta won. I just happen to think the former is far more likely. Pioli's no dope. He dangled the piece in front of the Atlanta FO and they took it. For a third rounder, at his age, it would have been more fair IMO.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes....lets go for Scheffler....give the Broncos one of our 4th. I think Gonzalez is on the downside....maybe 2 good years....maybe 3.... I am not sad, that he is not a Bill.

Lets move on...

I think this trade could very well drive the price for Scheffler up to a third.

And I think there is a very good chance the Raven snag Pettigrew.

If the Bills want Pettigrew, they need to draft him with their first pick; although, not necessarily at #11.

I don't think ATL overpaid. I think if we had given them a 2nd we would have then overpaid. We still have too many pieces missing to make a run at the playoffs. Especially in the coaching dept. So I'd rather we built a team that can grow together. But having said that, our 3rd would have been a fair trade.

I've also read a few places mock drafts that Baltimore might take pettigrew as well. So we have Philly and them to worry about

I'd be more worried about Atlanta taking Pettigrew than Philadelphia. I know they traded for Gonzalez, but why does that preclude them from picking Pettigrew? If they like him a lot, pick him and let him learn under Gonzalez while still getting reps in 2 TE sets.

Also, I firmly believe Baltimore would snag Pettigrew if he got by both Philadelphia and Atlanta. They do still have Todd Heap, and they signed LJ Smith, but that won't stop a guy like Ozzie Newsome from getting a marquee TE if he wants him.

I strongly feel the Dirty Birds overpaid for him, anyway. A second round pick, even being a 2010, for a guy who probably only has two seasons left in him is not good business. Atlanta must feel they can win it all right now with Gonzo.

IMO, Minnesota needs a TE in the worst way. When Visanthe Shiancoe or whatever his name is on your team, it's not good. The horned ones need other things, namely DB's, but the draft isn't rich there for them. Unless Jenkins falls or they like Davis from Illinois.

I only think MIN needs a TE for their QB. Rosenfels and Jackson will need all the help they can get.

IMO, Minnesota needs a TE in the worst way. When Visanthe Shiancoe or whatever his name is on your team, it's not good. The horned ones need other things, namely DB's, but the draft isn't rich there for them. Unless Jenkins falls or they like Davis from Illinois.

I only think MIN needs a TE for their QB. Rosenfels and Jackson will need all the help they can get.

Rumor has it that Minnesota is eyeballing Britton from Arizona.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/23/...ing-to-vikings/

This is a GREAT trade for Atlanta. First of all everything for me is about VALUE (productivity + contract) and managing the SALARY CAP. Atlanta got the BEST TIGHT END IN FOOTBALL !! plain and simple. his contract is very reasonable, his cap hit if he stayed in KC was $6.5 in 2009, $7 in 2010 & $8 in 2011. it will be less to atlanta cause signing bonus money is NOT on them, i dont have numbers, but his actual pay will be less. so what if he only plays 2 or 3 more years, at the end you get your cap space back. They gave up a #2 draft pick, in 2010, that player may or may not even become a starter, let alone an ALL PRO.

EDIT- apparently he has come to terms on a NEW contract with ATL.....details unknown yet

BTW - anyone who thinks Pettigrew lasts til #28 is dreaming. Phi takes a RB, but i say New England would grab him at #23.

Rumor has it that Minnesota is eyeballing Britton from Arizona.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/23/...ing-to-vikings/

They need help at RT. No doubt about it, and after last year when OT's were highly valued, I could see it happening. I don't think Britton is a 1st rounder, but he'll go there. He seems like a finesse OT, not someone who'd be at prime RT.

Then again, I'm not Rick Spielman.

Oops...

Phillip (the A-T-L):: I cannot see Thomas Dimitroff(Falcons GM) giving up a 2nd round pick for Tony Gonzalez - I know he's great but Gonzo is 33yrs old and he probably only has 1 or 2 years before decline. Dimitroff is building for long run and I think its too soon to start giving up high draft picks for vets. what say you?

SportsNation Pat Yasinskas: (1:10 PM ET ) I don't believe the Gonzalez rumors (about Atlanta) at all.

(That was an hour before the trade happened. He's the NFC South blogger to boot.)