Tony Gonzalez traded to Atlanta

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think ATL overpaid. I think if we had given them a 2nd we would have then overpaid. We still have too many pieces missing to make a run at the playoffs. Especially in the coaching dept. So I'd rather we built a team that can grow together. But having said that, our 3rd would have been a fair trade.

I don't think so, either.

He's AFAIK a decent guy who knows he's approaching the twilight of his career. I expect he will play well for them. It can be that the ATL area is where he would like to live in when he hangs it up. Simple as that. And the ATL club had a very decent season last. That is an inducement.

I think that there are any number of NFL vets that earned good money, enough to set them for life, who had the smarts to keep their nose clean and avoid the posse thing, and that really do enjoy playing the game.

I wonder if Gonzo had right of refusal on this trade, and if so, if he had checked who his new offensive coordinator will be....Mike Mularkey doesn't know how to use a TE in his offense!

Actually, that is a very good point. TEs in Mularkey's system have been terrible. Granted, they have been pretty crappy players but it will be interesting to see how MM uses TG.

Rumor has it that the Gonzalez trade looks a little unbalanced right now because it isn't finished yet. The hearsay is that OG-Brian Waters and DT Glen Dorsey are both on the block. Dorsey I guess doesn't fit in the defensive scheme KC is going to employ going forward.

So.......does Dorsey get traded to Atlanta for the Falcons #1 pick to give the Chiefs an extra pick THIS year????

Leonidas, I usually agree with you. But a second round pick in next years draft isn't overpaying for him i dont think.

Reasons being, the Falcons were desperatly needing a TE. Its about the only thing the Falcons were missing on the offensive side of the ball.

This will allow them to go defense with their first three picks. They need a guy at every level. Grady Jackson(DT) Coleman (DT) Brooking (LB) Boley (LB) and Milloy (S) are all gone. Now Brooking, Milloy, Jackson, and Coleman needed to go.

However that was a lot of Vetran leadership gone, not to mention Crumpler and Dunn from last year.

Gonzo has a few good years left, and he can be a very solid locker room guy.

Dimitrof pulled a good one here.

My apologies, I didn't realize it was next year's 2nd rounder. That does tilt it a little more toward Atlanta, although I still believe KC got the better of the deal. But again, only time will tell.