Do the Bills Take Need over Draft Board?

CJPearl2

I know this is an age-old debate around here, but what should the Bills do when the #11 pick comes up (assuming no trades)?

Do the Bills take the top player left on their board OR do they take the top need player (assuming the 2 players are different)?

For example, let's say Maybin or Okapo are available at 11, but the Bills' top ranked player is still available. Who should they pick? And does it depend on the position? If the Bills have Malcolm Jenkins as their 4th or 5th ranked player, overall, and he is available at #11, do they take him? Or do they take a so-called "need" player (DE, OLB, OT)?

Thoughts?

I have always been with the opinion of don't reach to fill a position your fans or the media thinks you may need. Take the best player on your board. A good example of this is drafting Trent Edwards in the 3rd.

Draft boards are always based on need to a certain extent. Don't believe the "best player available" hype hook, line, and sinker.

That being said, within the framework of what you need, you draft for value. Last year was a great example. WR was a bigger need than CB, but they went CB in 1, WR in 2 for value. It's too early to tell, but IMO '08 was a great draft. That is precisely why I want them to go DE before OT, depending obviously on who falls (although the top OT's worry me terribly).

I know this is an age-old debate around here, but what should the Bills do when the #11 pick comes up (assuming no trades)?

Do the Bills take the top player left on their board OR do they take the top need player (assuming the 2 players are different)?

For example, let's say Maybin or Okapo are available at 11, but the Bills' top ranked player is still available. Who should they pick? And does it depend on the position? If the Bills have Malcolm Jenkins as their 4th or 5th ranked player, overall, and he is available at #11, do they take him? Or do they take a so-called "need" player (DE, OLB, OT)?

Thoughts?

I have always been with the opinion of don't reach to fill a position your fans or the media thinks you may need. Take the best player on your board. A good example of this is drafting Trent Edwards in the 3rd.

I would take Jenkins over either of them- I feel they are very overrated.

I think it's a little of both.....you don't reach too far for need, but it's silly not to fill the need if there is a player only a few spots down on the draft board. In Edwards case, I think they had him way higher than anyone else left on their board by the time their 3rd pick came around, and I'm sure they'll do the same this year if someone else like that falls, regardless of need or position.

Thoughts?

They are needy as can be on the DL, and then the OL. Their fannies are planted into a corner of their own making.

I think that debate falls more to one side or the other depending on the team and franchise.

The Patriots are in a position to choose the best player available, let him sit and groom behind people, and eventually have a future star. The Bills, however, are in no position to do so. Because we aren't as good, and don't have the amount of talent as the winners do, we need to draft BPA at positions of need. We can't afford to draft a RB with our 1st rounder this year.

With coaches having the 3 year contract and then out if they aren't in the playoffs (besides Jauron) I don't believe a lot of teams have the luxury of just drafting the highest rated player on their board no matter the position. If you are a longer tenured coach with a team and franchise, you have that luxury. Most do not.

Thoughts?

If the Bills picked Jenkins at #11, I'd venture to guess that it would be greeted by at least 95% opposition here, maybe even a perfect 100% consensus.

There are plenty of needs, so you go with best available player that fits your needs... shouldn't be a problem. The one thing you do NOT do is take a player who fills a need in the current BS D-scheme but who will not be able to perform in a more traditional D-scheme after Fewell & Jauron are dumped post-season.

I think that debate falls more to one side or the other depending on the team and franchise.

The Patriots are in a position to choose the best player available, let him sit and groom behind people, and eventually have a future star. The Bills, however, are in no position to do so. Because we aren't as good, and don't have the amount of talent as the winners do, we need to draft BPA at positions of need. We can't afford to draft a RB with our 1st rounder this year.

With coaches having the 3 year contract and then out if they aren't in the playoffs (besides Jauron) I don't believe a lot of teams have the luxury of just drafting the highest rated player on their board no matter the position. If you are a longer tenured coach with a team and franchise, you have that luxury. Most do not.

I think this is a very good point.

If we draft Jenkins, he won't be playing CB.

Not for the Bills, this year.

I think who ever drafts Jenkins makes a CB out of him, though. His advantage is, he is a very good corner, who can probably also play safety, if needed.

But, the Bills have different fish to fry, this year.

Thoughts?

What if one of the top two QB's is there at 11? Do the Bills take him? IF they are sold on Trent probably not, then I would hope they could trade down a few picks & pick up a #2.

What if one of the top two QB's is there at 11? Do the Bills take him? IF they are sold on Trent probably not, then I would hope they could trade down a few picks & pick up a #2.

You would probably think that I am 100% against drafting a quarterback right? Well, I am not, because it is likely that Trent will get his brains kicked in this year.

A qb wouldn't be my first choice mind you, and I agree with the bolded letters above.

You would probably think that I am 100% against drafting a quarterback right? Well, I am not, because it is likely that Trent will get his brains kicked in this year.

A qb wouldn't be my first choce mind you, and I agree with the bolded letters above.

You would probably think I am for drafting a QB if one of the top two are available right? Well, I am not. If one is available, I would hope the Bills could parley that into an extra pick. I would give Trent another year to show what he has based on his POTENTIAL. If Trent & the team play well, I would expect to see him & Dick in Buffalo in 2011. If the team does not do better than 8-8 I would HOPE Dick gets shown the door & the new coach will have his say on the QB going forward.

You would probably think I am for drafting a QB if one of the top two are available right? Well, I am not. If one is available, I would hope the Bills could parley that into an extra pick. I would give Trent another year to show what he has based on his POTENTIAL. If Trent & the team play well, I would expect to see him & Dick in Buffalo in 2011. If the team does not do better than 8-8 I would HOPE Dick gets shown the door & the new coach will have his say on the QB going forward.

I hear what you are saying. I am a big believer in getting the lines in place and then drafting a qb. If Trent is the right guy for the job, all the better. I really hope that the kid can do it.

I hear what you are saying. I am a big believer in getting the lines in place and then drafting a qb. If Trent is the right guy for the job, all the better. I really hope that the kid can do it.

Sad to say, but yet again, that's all we have going for us now, William. Hope. If he works out well, if Schobel is healthy and can pressure the QB, if McKelvin can handle being the top return guy as well as a starting corner....just a few of the many "ifs" this team will face for the 2009 season.