CNSNews: CIA confirms waterboarding thwarted another 9/11

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

I understand this is a joke...and it's actually mildly amusing. But, I always wonder why it is people assume that being gay means being promiscuous.

Actually, in large gay communities in the '70s (pretty much from the advent of the gay rights movement to the acceptance of AIDS as a medical fact), being gay typically did mean being promiscuous. There was a quote in Randy Shilts' And The Band Played On (excellent book, BTW, for those who haven't read it) from a gay man in either Greenwich Villiage or Castro to the effect that if gays were free to be gay, then being "more gay" meant being "more free".

That doesn't mean the stereotype of the promiscuous gay should be generalized to all gays...but the stereotype does exist for a reason, and is largely of the gay rights movement's own making.

Actually, in large gay communities in the '70s (pretty much from the advent of the gay rights movement to the acceptance of AIDS as a medical fact), being gay typically did mean being promiscuous. There was a quote in Randy Shilts' And The Band Played On (excellent book, BTW, for those who haven't read it) from a gay man in either Greenwich Villiage or Castro to the effect that if gays were free to be gay, then being "more gay" meant being "more free".

That doesn't mean the stereotype of the promiscuous gay should be generalized to all gays...but the stereotype does exist for a reason, and is largely of the gay rights movement's own making.

Excellent points.

Yeah let's look at that:

You had the Cole

You had the first attack on the World trade center

You had the Kenya embassy bombed

You had the Tanzania bombed

Oh, I thought America had those things. I didn't know those things only affect people of certain political ideologies.

In the "see, you did kick my dog two years ago" department, weren't you the one who chided me for a similar observation three years ago?

In the "see, you did kick my dog two years ago" department, weren't you the one who chided me for a similar observation three years ago?

Speaking of old and worn stereotypes, there is a local radio commercial for a KIA dealership, here in northern Florida. The character in the ad repeats, in a broken-English/Italian accent "Mama Mia, I Want a KIA", over and over. Now, I am not overly sensitive to Italian stereotyping, but c'mon...how many old Italian men are left that speak with that accent, let alone use "Mama mia"? It is offensive because it is so outdated...and because it is a crappy commercial.

Speaking of old and worn stereotypes, there is a local radio commercial for a KIA dealership, here in northern Florida. The character in the ad repeats, in a broken-English/Italian accent "Mama Mia, I Want a KIA", over and over. Now, I am not overly sensitive to Italian stereotyping, but c'mon...how many old Italian men are left that speak with that accent, let alone use "Mama mia"? It is offensive because it is so outdated...and because it is a crappy commercial.

I take it you haven't been to Jersey in a while.

And yet, when I was driving through the middle of nowhere in New York (Sherburne...as nowhere as you can get in NY), and heard a characterization on a tractor commercial exclaim "Well slap my hogs and call me Luther!"...no one has a problem with THAT stereotype...

I take it you haven't been to Jersey in a while.

:beer: I have been to Niagara Falls, though. Yes, there are a couple of those old men around, but for the most part, they are dead. The last big wave of Italian immigration was quite a few years ago.

And yet, when I was driving through the middle of nowhere in New York (Sherburne...as nowhere as you can get in NY), and heard a characterization on a tractor commercial exclaim "Well slap my hogs and call me Luther!"...no one has a problem with THAT stereotype...

Is that a stereotype that is no longer valid? :thumbsup:

Shazam, you might be a frickin bigit!! Well slap my hind with a watermelon rind. Who'd a thunk?

:thumbsup:

What's funny about that is, again here in Florida, on local radio, there is another horrible ad (surprise). This one has a Jeff Foxworthy impersonator doing his "you might be a redneck" bit, but mixed with "are you smarter than a 5th grader". It melds the worst kind of stereotyping with some flat-out copyright infringement. Add to that copy that is sensationally stupid, and illogical for the product, and you get another winner of an ad.

I think most of the natives here are too stupid to be offended.

I keed, I keed!

:beer: I have been to Niagara Falls, though. Yes, there are a couple of those old men around, but for the most part, they are dead. The last big wave of Italian immigration was quite a few years ago.

And the rest are in the pen.

I have lived in the South for 40 years amid some of the biggest hicks around (there are slightly less over time % wise anyway) and I never heard anyone say anything like slap my hogs. Now, "*If it was a snake, it would have bit ya." sure.

*-The saying means that the item you are looking for is right in front of your face.