A little perspective: what happened the last time we traded

Jerry Jabber has a point - it's over. At this point it doesn't matter how JP does in Philly. In a few years we'll have to look back on this and say how did Peter's do in 2009 - 2011 & likewise how did the Bills use the picks they got for him - and how are those players performing. That is all that will matter.

Right now, all the amateur bloggers and internet posters are guessing and giving their opinions.

Let's check back after the 2011 season and grade this one.

For now, let's look to fill our holes with quality FA's (like Jason Taylor not Bob Corkum) and the Draft next weekend!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And if the world stopped and started at your convenience you would be right, but it doesn't, so you are not. :ph34r:

The point is there's no way in hell you can start a "let's trade for Stroud" plan intentionally. Certainly not a year and a half in advance. The point is that you stockpile value in every move you make, and then spend that when and where you can get the best bang for the buck. They used pick after pick, trade after trade to stockpile value, and then spent it immediately when Stroud came available.

The end of the argument point is: they could not have acted on Stroud had they not made the moves they made, and that's all that ultimately matters.

Fine. We're hardly debating anything legitimate here. Let's move on. I see it as a win just like you, I just don't credit the F.O. as much. Only time will tell with Peters, and that's how I should have phrased my first response to you. At the time of the first Eagles trade I was indifferent, and now at this one I am likewise indifferent. So I'll leave this one to the years to come.

The trade went down like this:

To Eagles:

Kelly Holcomb and Takeo Spikes

To Bills:

Darwin Walker and what ended up being a 7th.

Result For Bills:

Bills trade Walker to Chicago for their 5th, use their 5th and their extra 3rd(from Baltimore) to get Marcus Stroud. Bills use 7th for Steve Johnson :ph34r:--> who I think is going to be very good.

Result for Eagles:

Spikes and Holcomb both released after the 2008 season. Holcomb did not play, Spikes did little other than get hurt, again.

Media(and some posters here) at the time:

"The Bills can't keep recycling players"

"The Bills are giving away their whole team"

"The Bills didn't get value/could have gotten more for Spikes"

"The Bills just traded their best LB, and one of the best players on the team for nothing other than a malcontent DT"

etc. etc. etc.

Clearly the media(and some posters here) were astoundingly wrong in their assessment of that trade. Clearly the Bills absolutely owned the Eagles on that trade. Clearly this same front office absolutely owned the Ravens on the McGahee trade. Clearly posters here love to invoke historical statistics and "who did what" divided by "# of championships", etc.

So my question is: If you look at this FO objectively(I know that is impossible for some here), and measure them based on their track record of trades they have made so far, how can you automatically assume that they are wrong, when all they have been is 100% right?

The historical statistics have our current FO 2, Other guys 0, in trades with existing players, and I would call the Poz trade up an easy win as well. Why should we ignore these stats? What makes you think that the same guys who got us Stroud, Johnson and Poz for McGahee(now backup RB) and Spikes(now playing for SF, what else do you need to know?), have screwed up so MASSIVELY with Peters?

Good post and good point. My one qualifying statement is that Spikes actually played quite well last year for SF - his best season since 04. SF re-upped with him as a consequence. In retrospect, the Eagles may have been wise to keep him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/108171-...-made-in-heaven

Fine. We're hardly debating anything legitimate here. Let's move on. I see it as a win just like you, I just don't credit the F.O. as much. Only time will tell with Peters, and that's how I should have phrased my first response to you. At the time of the first Eagles trade I was indifferent, and now at this one I am likewise indifferent. So I'll leave this one to the years to come.

Dude? If it's a win, then whose win is it? The fans? I know flaming the FO is the super cool awesome fun thing to do around here, but at some point you have to admit their successes.

Yeah, it worked out. Not the way the F.O. intended. (is luck really not a factor? really? you're not going to merit chance at all??)

The FO refused to give him a contract extension unless he showed up and they could look at him first. They held fast to that ideal and when the Bears didn't care about looking at him first before giving him a contract the Bears paid a price for it. All the while the Bills turned a potentially bad trade into a very good one. No luck just intelligence. JMO

Dude? If it's a win, then whose win is it? The fans? I know flaming the FO is the super cool awesome fun thing to do around here, but at some point you have to admit their successes.

Let it go. I hardly ever flame the F.O., I just said it wasn't a "rogering" or whatever. I know flaming people for the tiniest thing is the super cool awesome fun thing to do around here, but at some point you need to grow up.

Why do you project yourself unto others?

Now, now, girls. Let's keep this on the FO. I determine "success" by the end result. They could make all kinds of super-awesome moves, but as far as I can tell, it's gotten them nowhere. 7-9, 8-8, 6-10, etc...

Now, now, girls. Let's keep this on the FO. I determine "success" by the end result. They could make all kinds of super-awesome moves, but as far as I can tell, it's gotten them nowhere. 7-9, 8-8, 6-10, etc...

Well played.

The Eagles got an elite LT who's 26 and only entering his prime.

Eagles got a fat, lazy !@#$ who showed his true colors last year by sucking. Last time I looked, elite LTs took pride in how they play. He didn't. And you make this dumbass argument about about him being elite?

Stop smoking crack.

And THAT's the bottom line...wins and losses.

If the Bills have a good draft, I could care less about what JP does in Philly. This, hopefully, will translate into the W/L column.

The Eagles got an elite LT who's 26 and only entering his prime.

Who was shocked that we traded him :ph34r: More like who didn't want to be here. If the team kept him, I just get the feeling he would have played down to the paycheck that he felt he was getting, no team needs that kinda of player. Just my opinion.

So my question is: If you look at this FO objectively(I know that is impossible for some here), and measure them based on their track record of trades they have made so far, how can you automatically assume that they are wrong, when all they have been is 100% right?

They got a bad deal because they could not trade away the Peters-first fans with the pick. The Bills are going to saddled with these just like Rob Johnson fans who continued to claim Bills missing out his potential and blaming coaching and front office for not getting players to make him successful.

They got a bad deal because they could not trade away the Peters-first fans with the pick. The Bills are going to saddled with these just like Rob Johnson fans who continued to claim Bills missing out his potential and blaming coaching and front office for not getting players to make him successful.

Good one, Glenn. :ph34r:

No...NO!!! He sucks, he is fat, lazy and was NEVER good...didn't you get the memo?? :ph34r:

Did you read his statements or listen to them in his Eagles interview? He basically said the contract was on his mind last year while playing. Like if he gave up a sack or missed a block, he said oh well i am only making $3,000,000.00.

Come on man. That guy is a turd. And he is stupid enough to admitt it.

Did you read his statements or listen to them in his Eagles interview? He basically said the contract was on his mind last year while playing. Like if he gave up a sack or missed a block, he said oh well i am only making $3,000,000.00.

Come on man. That guy is a turd. And he is stupid enough to admitt it.

That's what you took his comment to mean? Really?

Holy crap some people are obtuse.