Anyone ever have a colonoscopy?

Rubes

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They give you a mild sedative to make you a bit drowsy, and you just feel a slight pressure but not any pain when they put the scope in. I actually fell asleep for a bit, so it didn't seem long at all....

that's what she said...

Five years ago, I had my first colonoscopy at age 34. Colon problems run in my family, so I am high risk.

I am due for another one in the spring of 2011, prior to my 42nd birthday.

Last time, I only had to drink the magnesium citrate. Two bottles. Tasted like very sour lemon soda pop. I also had to take the rest of the day off, because I couldn't risk being more than 30 feet away from a toilet.

I remember feeling no pain after the procedure, but you feel very bloated. They don't let you go home until you start passing gas. One of the few times where farting is socially acceptable. :)

Well, I'm back, and everything went great. All normal. Thanks for the good wishes, everyone.

A little fentanyl, a little propofol, and I was out in less than 20 seconds. About a half hour later I woke up and it was as if nothing happened. Hardly even a bloated feeling.

But I'll be damned if I ever drink that sh-- again.

Rubes I know this was a serious issue for you (and for anyone that needs to have it done) and glad everything turned out well but this thread provided me with a few good laughs. I've been having a helluva day and needed the comic relief.

Again don't misunderstand not making light of the issue or potential issues driving the need to get this procedure done. Just laughing at the human nature aspect of the many responses in the thread.

Well, I'm back, and everything went great. All normal. Thanks for the good wishes, everyone.

A little fentanyl, a little propofol, and I was out in less than 20 seconds. About a half hour later I woke up and it was as if nothing happened. Hardly even a bloated feeling.

Glad it went well.

Well that's one less **** that doctor has to deal with now <_<

Glad to hear all is well. :ph34r: Now go get some hot wings and hot peppers and hot chili for dinner! :ph34r:

Glad to hear all is well. :ph34r: Now go get some hot wings and hot peppers and hot chili for dinner! :ph34r:

Are you kidding me? It'll take at least another day or two for my raw butt to recover. No sense sprinkling salt (or hot sauce) on my wounds, so to speak. <_<

And BB, no trouble at all. I was hoping at least somebody would get a kick out of it.

I have to have a scope every year due to a longstanding medical problem that puts me at high risk for colon cancer. I pay extra for the pills, but even these gag me. I will not use the liquid plumber ever again. To put a positive spin on the whole thing, I look at scope day as my only day to get legally high. Demerol and Versed are great; you just can't remember things. One time my doctor said I sang Christmas carolls during the procedure. I also enjoy the recovery room, because they encourage you to fart to clear the colon of the air. It's like rhapsody sometimes!

I have to have a scope every year due to a longstanding medical problem that puts me at high risk for colon cancer. I pay extra for the pills, but even these gag me. I will not use the liquid plumber ever again. To put a positive spin on the whole thing, I look at scope day as my only day to get legally high. Demerol and Versed are great; you just can't remember things. One time my doctor said I sang Christmas carolls during the procedure. I also enjoy the recovery room, because they encourage you to fart to clear the colon of the air. It's like rhapsody sometimes!

I don't know what concoction I was given, but it was a really terrific high.

They been using Propofol for twilighting a long time, Rubes? Only time I've seen that was in a drip in the unit....amazing medication! First time I heard about the five minute half life and then witnessed them hold the drip so the doc could assess a pt, I was amazed.

I didn't realize they were using it for conscious sedation/twilighting now. Cool!

They been using Propofol for twilighting a long time, Rubes? Only time I've seen that was in a drip in the unit....amazing medication! First time I heard about the five minute half life and then witnessed them hold the drip so the doc could assess a pt, I was amazed.

I didn't realize they were using it for conscious sedation/twilighting now. Cool!

I don't know how long they've been using it, but it's magical stuff. By the time I felt it going into my veins, I was out like a light. And it's amazing how clear I was when I popped out of it.