Suspend all state colleges for two years

I was having some random thoughts after reading about governors grappling with state budgets that don't add up.

Here's one thing I think they should do: Suspend operations at all state colleges for two years. Every state that is building massive debt should do it.

To me education is in a tight spot right now. And I think investing in education that is going to be squandered, for the time being, is kind of stupid.

This would not be a popular decision but I think spending on unemployment and health care is a more pressing need, rather than spending tax payer dollars to support the rich people that go to college. If the well off want to go to college have them go to a private school.

I know of three or four recent college grads who can't even get jobs, so I think the time has come to call state-supported schools wasteful spending.

All of the students not working would go into labor pool not helping unemployment issues. You are also assuming incorrectly that all of those students would have places to go which is over simplification. And what makes you think "rich" people go to college - is this because you have not be able to get into college and you blame it on not having enough money?

There are jobs for those who pick in demand subjects and do well; I know my company is hiring and is hiring right out of school due to how much government is willing to pay now. If you pick something general or expect to make a fortune in first job you are going to be looking for a job for a while.

I was having some random thoughts after reading about governors grappling with state budgets that don't add up.

Here's one thing I think they should do: Suspend operations at all state colleges for two years. Every state that is building massive debt should do it.

To me education is in a tight spot right now. And I think investing in education that is going to be squandered, for the time being, is kind of stupid.

This would not be a popular decision but I think spending on unemployment and health care is a more pressing need, rather than spending tax payer dollars to support the rich people that go to college. If the well off want to go to college have them go to a private school.

I know of three or four recent college grads who can't even get jobs, so I think the time has come to call state-supported schools wasteful spending.

<_<:devil::pirate:

Did I miss turn back your clocks 18 days, and is today April 1?

The degree has a lot to do with the chance of hire.

Exactly. A lot of Ivy leaguers out there with degrees in "Diversity Studies" or some other neo-pop nonsense.

Of course, they usually all go back to b-school at G'town or Penn and then get jobs in investment firms, but those firms aren't hiring anymore either.

Sorry RL, but this is a pretty bad idea. Because hiring is slow right now we should kill education for hundreds of thousands so we can spend the money on......hand-outs to unemployed people so they can continue to not look for a job?

Also, "rich people" generally don't sent their kids to State U. The purpose of a funded university system is so that the kids who are not rich can get an education too. It's one of the best things the state gov't idiots spend our money on.

Now, there are plenty of ways to drastically cut gov't budgets. Start with a 20% headcount reduction in every single gov't dept.

I know two Cornell University 2008 graduates who can't find jobs. And those two probably know of at least two more Cornell University graduates who can't find jobs. And those.....

Sad.

Most of the hippies at Cornell can't even get a girl, much less a job.

You can't fix things by killing education- beyond losing young minds that may help prevent a mess like this from happening again, what about the teachers and staff that also would be joining the ranks of the unemployed? This would make a bad situation worse

All of the students not working would go into labor pool not helping unemployment issues. You are also assuming incorrectly that all of those students would have places to go which is over simplification. And what makes you think "rich" people go to college - is this because you have not be able to get into college and you blame it on not having enough money?

There are jobs for those who pick in demand subjects and do well; I know my company is hiring and is hiring right out of school due to how much government is willing to pay now. If you pick something general or expect to make a fortune in first job you are going to be looking for a job for a while.

I have a college degree from Michigan State and I'm glad I do.

However, I think the money spent by states on state supported colleges does go to rich people in a sense and I would put my family in that catagory. I had to take out loans, like everyone else, and I paid mine off already. However, that doesn't mean that poor people didn't help pay for my education. They did and that's a fact.

I think if people really value an education then the schools should raise their prices of tuition and drop state aid.

But that would be unpopular, wouldn't it.

BTW, make every US citizen spend two years in the military.

That is different. You are Gary the Retard from the Howard Stern Show, and Howard thrives in any economy.

Compare this to his profile picture.

However, I think the money spent by states on state supported colleges does go to rich people in a sense and I would put my family in that catagory. I had to take out loans, like everyone else, and I paid mine off already. However, that doesn't mean that poor people didn't help pay for my education. They did and that's a fact.

How did poor people help support your public education when they generally don't pay any income taxes? The rich kid has already paid more than their fair share via taxes and are paying full tuition to attend, since the student aid/loan system is generally not available to them. Those programs help the middle class kids get through. The ghetto kids don't go to college because of ability/desire/HS performance as much as financial constraints.

I think if people really value an education then the schools should raise their prices of tuition and drop state aid.

This is the kind of thing the federal gov't should be doing. Offer anyone the chance to go to college via LOANS, and then offer them the chance to work off the loans instead of repaying them, either by serving in the military, working in the free clinic, teaching in the 'hood, etc. Some of these programs exist and seem to work pretty well.

How did poor people help support your public education when they generally don't pay any income taxes? The rich kid has already paid more than their fair share via taxes and are paying full tuition to attend, since the student aid/loan system is generally not available to them. Those programs help the middle class kids get through. The ghetto kids don't go to college because of ability/desire/HS performance as much as financial constraints.

This is the kind of thing the federal gov't should be doing. Offer anyone the chance to go to college via LOANS, and then offer them the chance to work off the loans instead of repaying them, either by serving in the military, working in the free clinic, teaching in the 'hood, etc. Some of these programs exist and seem to work pretty well.

This program has increased damatically the last 4 years under the hated previous administration. Along with Virginia state grants, a student can pretty much pay nothing for their school if they agree to teach for 4 years after college (while still getting paid) in either underserved areas, which doesn't means ghettos, but could be farm country or on a military base, which seems to have a hard time attracting teachers.

please explain how there will be a net gain in funds for unemployment/health care when dumping the state school system is going to put millions more into the "unemployed" pool.

Or at least pass whatever you were smoking when you posted this.

Unless you have you have no right to say that, and even if you did as a vet you are saying that every man and woman should spend 2 years? Based on what? I don't mind you giving your beliefs, but I have yet to see a reason why they should if these things can be done better voluntarily.

Remember what Jefferson said about standing armies.