An Interesting Note on the Peters Trade:

I got this off buffalorumblings.com:

Judge: Bills turned down first- and third-round picks in 2009

CBS Sports' Clark Judge reported on the trade earlier this afternoon and included this little nugget:

Initially, one source close to the Eagles said, Buffalo considered making the trade for a first- and third-rounder this year but, in the end, held out for three draft picks to give the Bills more flexibility.

The Eagles' third round pick is No. 85 overall - and they've obviously retained that selection. The Bills chose to take an extra pick next season, sacrificing 36 spots in this year's pecking order in the process. Feel free to speculate on possible reasons why - if you're asking me, I think the decision is tied to the ultimate fate of WR Roscoe Parrish, another Bill currently on the trade block.

Not sure if this has been posted, but I couldn't find it. But I apologize in advance if it has been posted.

I thought this was rather interesting and I can see why the Bills did that, but I still think I would've rather had the 3rd instead of the 4th and 6th.

CBS Sports' Clark Judge reported on the trade earlier this afternoon and included this little nugget:

Initially, one source close to the Eagles said, Buffalo considered making the trade for a first- and third-rounder this year but, in the end, held out for three draft picks to give the Bills more flexibility.

The Eagles' third round pick is No. 85 overall - and they've obviously retained that selection. The Bills chose to take an extra pick next season, sacrificing 36 spots in this year's pecking order in the process. Feel free to speculate on possible reasons why - if you're asking me, I think the decision is tied to the ultimate fate of WR Roscoe Parrish, another Bill currently on the trade block.

Not sure if this has been posted, but I couldn't find it. But I apologize in advance if it has been posted.

I thought this was rather interesting and I can see why the Bills did that, but I still think I would've rather had the 3rd instead of the 4th and 6th.

Who is going to return punts..........Leodis McKelvin?

hmm Im not really understanding then...are they saying in case they trade Parrish, a 6th rounder next year will replace him?...I really hope this is not true...I would rather have had a 3rd rounder this year...most 6th rounders end up either on the bench playing ST's or cut...very few turn out to be Brady's...of course they could be thinking a 6th rounder next year can come in and return punts, doesn't matter what position he plays??

Fred Jackson (who's done it before) or PK Sam, if he makes the team. Either of those guys costs a heck of a lot less than $3 million thisyear, too.....

Is it set in stone that it is a 6th rounder next year? It was originally being reported it was a conditional pick. Based upon Peters performance.

Tim Graham said it's a 6th. But I also read reports that that pick is still being decided on by both teams. Ultimately, I trust TG and that it is indeed a 6th.

It was posted already but no worries. I can't imagine why they'd take a 1, 4, and 6 over a 1 and 3. You can always trade down from a 3 to a 4 and 6, the opposite can't be true. I'm hoping, like the "blown" Dockery trade, that more details come out that don't make me want to kill myself...

Yeah, until he gets injured. Then we'll go from having the best punt returner in the world to...Fred Jackson. Great.

Fred Jackson (who's done it before) or PK Sam, if he makes the team. Either of those guys costs a heck of a lot less than $3 million thisyear, too.....

Parrish's salary is well below $2M this year, tough guy...

Yeah, until he gets injured. Then we'll go from having the best punt returner in the world to...Fred Jackson. Great.

Jackson averaged 16.6 YPR on 7 punts last year. That was better than Roscoe (15.3). Although Roscoe has proven himself over many more punts. And as a kick returner, Jackson isn't that great.

Jackson averaged 16.6 YPR on 7 punts last year. That was better than Roscoe (15.3). Although Roscoe has proven himself over many more punts. And as a kick returner, Jackson isn't that great.

Ever heard of a thing called "sample size," as in Fred Jackson's sample size of seven returned punts last season doesn't mean sh-- concerning his average? Yeah, thanks for playing.

If Fred Jackson maintained that average over an entire season of returning I'd pay him myself.

Ever heard of a thing called "sample size," as in Fred Jackson's sample size of seven returned punts last season doesn't mean sh-- concerning his average? Yeah, thanks for playing.

If Fred Jackson maintained that average over an entire season of returning I'd pay him myself.

Ever heard of reading comprehension? I said that Roscoe proved himself over many more punts.

Ever heard of reading comprehension? I said that Roscoe proved himself over many more punts.

Yeah, I saw that. But to insinuate Fred Jackson is a viable replacement for Parrish at PR is insane. Fred Jackson is not the athlete Parrish is, he doesn't have the quickness or flat out speed. And to state his YPR is to elude otherwise and, in fact, wrong.

could they be swapping parrish and a 4th to land us a TE and a G/DT?

shefler, waters, and henderson are all reported to be on the block. if we trade our 4th, our 4th from philly, and parrish for those 3 players i think you can say we are a better team.

i'm thinking we might also be able to trade down some from the 11th pick for someone chasing a qb and pick up another 2nd and 3rd to lose only a few spots. that could get us some serious talent.

Yeah, I saw that. But to insinuate Fred Jackson is a viable replacement for Parrish at PR is insane. Fred Jackson is not the athlete Parrish is, he doesn't have the quickness or flat out speed. And to state his YPR is to elude otherwise and, in fact, wrong.

I'd say that a 16.6 average on 7 returns shows the potential to be a good punt returner (although not that he'd continue to average 16.6 YPR). I wouldn't casually dismiss it, as you are doing.

It was posted already but no worries. I can't imagine why they'd take a 1, 4, and 6 over a 1 and 3. You can always trade down from a 3 to a 4 and 6, the opposite can't be true. I'm hoping, like the "blown" Dockery trade, that more details come out that don't make me want to kill myself...

Parrish's salary is well below $2M this year, tough guy...

Funny how Mcgee never got injured, and he was fielding kick returns which is even more risky for injuries.

and

no it's not below $2M, tough guy...

I'd say that a 16.6 average on 7 returns shows the potential to be a good punt returner (although not that he'd continue to average 16.6 YPR). I wouldn't casually dismiss it, as you are doing.

Jackson is no Parrish when it comes to returning punts. But I'm with VOR on this, Jackson can do the job and do it well. And let's not forget that McKelvin can return punts too.

Listen, you guys are missing the big point. Can Jackson field a punt here and there when asked? Of course. But Jackson is 28. Parrish is 26. Like RB's, PR's die early. When was the last time you saw a guy returning punts consistently at 30? There's a reason for it. You're creating holes where you don't need to. Parrish isn't complaining about his contract. He's one of the beset returners to ever play the game and you want to ship him out for a 4th rounder because Fred Jackson can return punts once McKelvin gets injured doing it? With McGee returning kicks and McKelvin returning punts AND kicks, you are begging for an injury in your secondary. But what do I know...

Listen, you guys are missing the big point. Can Jackson field a punt here and there when asked? Of course. But Jackson is 28. Parrish is 26. Like RB's, PR's die early. When was the last time you saw a guy returning punts consistently at 30? There's a reason for it. You're creating holes where you don't need to. Parrish isn't complaining about his contract. He's one of the beset returners to ever play the game and you want to ship him out for a 4th rounder because Fred Jackson can return punts once McKelvin gets injured doing it? With McGee returning kicks and McKelvin returning punts AND kicks, you are begging for an injury in your secondary. But what do I know...

don't worry

Bills have it covered

they will be drafting an extra CB / S in the first round just for that purpose.

Funny how Mcgee never got injured, and he was fielding kick returns which is even more risky for injuries.

and

no it's not below $2M, tough guy...

So you want to have your starting to corners doing 100% of the return duties? Why, so you can dump Parrish for a 4th rounder?? Great call. Name another team that has a full time starter doing the return duties. Then ask the '98 Giants how that worked out for them.

And actually, yeah, I believe his salary is $1.5M this year, tough guy. Bonuses and guarantees don't qualify, and his 3yr/$12.31M contract extension was packed with them. So dumping him doesn't save you $3M like the masses on this board would have you believe.

It also may have something to do with the money NFL allocates for the rookie cap and the Bills may just not have had much flexibility in signing 2 1st rounders, a 2nd and two 3rd rounders in the same year. If that were the case, I would have given up the 3rd this year and taken a 2nd next year.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2007/12/26/bears-d...roscoe-parrish/

Parrish's contract includes a $1.1 million signing bonus, bonuses of $3.25 million in 2008, $1.5 million in '09, a $1 million base salary in 2009, and base salaries of $1.25 million in 2010 and 2011, plus $500,000 roster bonuses each year. Hester must be thinking he's worth at least that much, but he has two years left on his rookie contract, with salaries of less than $500,000 a year

So let's break it down.

1) $1.1 Million in signing bonus

2) $3.25 Million bonus in 2008

3) $1.5 Million bonus in 2009

4) $1 Million base salary in 2009

5) $1.25 base salary in 2010

6) $1.25 base salary in 2011

7) Roster bonus of $500,000 in 2009

8) Roster bonus of $500,000 in 2010

9) Roster bonus of $500,000 in 2011

Total: $10,850,000 4 years

avg per year: $2,712,000