An Interesting Note on the Peters Trade:

So you want to have your starting to corners doing 100% of the return duties? Why, so you can dump Parrish for a 4th rounder?? Great call. Name another team that has a full time starter doing the return duties. Then ask the '98 Giants how that worked out for them.

And actually, yeah, I believe his salary is $1.5M this year, tough guy. Bonuses and guarantees don't qualify, and his 3yr/$12.31M contract extension was packed with them. So dumping him doesn't save you $3M like the masses on this board would have you believe.

In what world do you live in? money is money. I love how you try to distort the facts to bolster your argument. It does count!

Listen, you guys are missing the big point. Can Jackson field a punt here and there when asked? Of course. But Jackson is 28. Parrish is 26. Like RB's, PR's die early. When was the last time you saw a guy returning punts consistently at 30? There's a reason for it. You're creating holes where you don't need to. Parrish isn't complaining about his contract. He's one of the beset returners to ever play the game and you want to ship him out for a 4th rounder because Fred Jackson can return punts once McKelvin gets injured doing it? With McGee returning kicks and McKelvin returning punts AND kicks, you are begging for an injury in your secondary. But what do I know...

The Bills might want to stop using a roster spot on a guy who is strictly a punt returner, albeit an excellent one, in favor of a guy who is an excellent backup RB and can be a good punt returner. And I'm sure they already got Bobby April's input, before looking to trade him.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2007/12/26/bears-d...roscoe-parrish/

Parrish's contract includes a $1.1 million signing bonus, bonuses of $3.25 million in 2008, $1.5 million in '09, a $1 million base salary in 2009, and base salaries of $1.25 million in 2010 and 2011, plus $500,000 roster bonuses each year. Hester must be thinking he's worth at least that much, but he has two years left on his rookie contract, with salaries of less than $500,000 a year

So let's break it down.

1) $1.1 Million in signing bonus

2) $3.25 Million bonus in 2008

3) $1.5 Million bonus in 2009

4) $1 Million base salary in 2009

5) $1.25 base salary in 2010

6) $1.25 base salary in 2011

7) Roster bonus of $500,000 in 2009

8) Roster bonus of $500,000 in 2010

9) Roster bonus of $500,000 in 2011

Total: $10,850,000 4 years

avg per year: $2,712,000

In what world do you live in? money is money. I love how you try to distort the facts to bolster your argument. It does count!

Not for salary cap purposes dude. I'm not sure you understand how the cap works. If it's already been paid and pro-rated, if you cut/trade him whatever money is pro-rated to that year is taken out of the cap, hence the term "[salary] cap hit." So if Parrish gets a 3yr/$12.31M deal (this is a little more difficult because the Bills are one of the few teams that has, as it's team's policy, not to disclose the details of player contracts) but it's loaded with guarantees - whether those are paid upfront or not - they cannot be recouped (except in extreme circumstances a la Michael Vick). So while 3yrs/$12.31 comes out to over $4M/yr, much of that is a "sunk cost" and shouldn't even be taken into consideration.

For what it's worth, his contract status is this apparently: 3 years remaining (UFA in 2012); owed $3.05 million in base salaries, $1.5 million in signing bonuses and $1.5 million in roster bonuses.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/...r-wr-return-man I'm not sure what that says to you, but it says to me at a maximum he will earn $2.017M/year throughout the end of his contract. By your own numbers (you HAVE to exclude 2008 since it's already passed and is therefore irrelevant), it's only $2.167M/yr, and that's if the bonuses are not guaranteed - if they are, the number is far lower.

I'm not sure why this is even really an issue though. He's not killing our cap space, he's not preventing us from signing other players, and whether it's $1.5M or $3M I'm not sure how that is really relevant. This isn't the Jason Peters situation.

I got this off buffalorumblings.com:

Judge: Bills turned down first- and third-round picks in 2009

CBS Sports' Clark Judge reported on the trade earlier this afternoon and included this little nugget:

Initially, one source close to the Eagles said, Buffalo considered making the trade for a first- and third-rounder this year but, in the end, held out for three draft picks to give the Bills more flexibility.

The Eagles' third round pick is No. 85 overall - and they've obviously retained that selection. The Bills chose to take an extra pick next season, sacrificing 36 spots in this year's pecking order in the process. Feel free to speculate on possible reasons why - if you're asking me, I think the decision is tied to the ultimate fate of WR Roscoe Parrish, another Bill currently on the trade block.

Not sure if this has been posted, but I couldn't find it. But I apologize in advance if it has been posted.

I thought this was rather interesting and I can see why the Bills did that, but I still think I would've rather had the 3rd instead of the 4th and 6th.

I think this was economics. The FO presupposed, incorrectly IMHO, the discrepancy for value in 21 and the value in 28 was minimal. So why pay more? Same with 3rd and 4th round pics.