We Are a Small Market Team - Face it!

CJPearl2

People, this trade was out of necessity. We couldn't afford to pay Peters $12 mil/year, unless you want the team to play in LA. We have to model the franchise after the As or the Twins, we can't be the Yankees. This is a dollars/cents issue.

Therefore, we should be happy we got what we got for Peters. Plus, Peters with a new fat contract may not be what he was in '06. Although maybe he great, nobody knows.

But we came out of it with a couple more draft picks this year and cap room. So maybe we extend Jackson, pick up a verteran backup OLB, and draft a couple first round studs.

Yeah, but not proportioned to what we would have to pay Peters. Mornieau and Mauer both took Minnesota discounts. Peters at $12 mil/year is akin to a Teixiera contract.

Cut Kelsey and give his $$ to Peters in addition to our offer. Problem solved, b/c no guaranteed contracts in the NFL. Then take Ayers with #11. Instant Upgrade.

Even small market teams buck up for the big star...re: Justin Morneau or Joe Mauer with Minn; Eric Chavez and Miguel Tejada a few years ago for the A's.

Peters is no Mauer or Morneau, he's got a lot of talent, but he doesn't play like a pro bowler.i'm curious now that he has his money what is his motivation? We ante'd up for Evans and Stroud and I feel those two have been for more reliable than Peters.

People, this trade was out of necessity. We couldn't afford to pay Peters $12 mil/year, unless you want the team to play in LA. We have to model the franchise after the As or the Twins, we can't be the Yankees. This is a dollars/cents issue.

Therefore, we should be happy we got what we got for Peters. Plus, Peters with a new fat contract may not be what he was in '06. Although maybe he great, nobody knows.

But we came out of it with a couple more draft picks this year and cap room. So maybe we extend Jackson, pick up a verteran backup OLB, and draft a couple first round studs.

Pittsburgh,Indy........

yes we ante up Stroud even though we did not have to, and we spent a ton of money on a #2 wr but forget about a pro-bowl LT. So we get Peters and his agent pissed and we are now happy with the 28th pick.

Oh instead of a 3rd, with that 1st, could I have a 4th and a 6th, I am watching my salary outlay, I do not want it to get too big!

Been a while since I logged in, sorry if you have been hashing this over already: This is another example of Ralph Wilson sucking the profit's out of the franchise. I know the NFL is all about the bucks. But a New LT, LG and Center? And only the center is on the team right now? A team is built from the linemen out. Another step closer to the grave for Ralph, another step closer to Toronto for the Bills. Small market team mentality = excuse to be doormat. Really sad to see this once proud franchise in a state of turnstile. Bills draft poorly, find a few nuggets, they get good, they move on. Always nice to see a young enthusiastic team - but come on.

Nothing to see here. Move on people.

Cut Kelsey and give his $$ to Peters in addition to our offer. Problem solved, b/c no guaranteed contracts in the NFL. Then take Ayers with #11. Instant Upgrade.

This is incorrect. Portions of contracts are guaranteed. Wait until Peters signs his extension. When Clements signed his $80M deal, over $20M was guaranteed.

The NFL has a salary cap, so you cannot compare the Bills to the Twins. The Eagles operate under the same cap as the small market Ralph Wilson Bills do. Plus, now the Wilson Bills have an extra 18 Million per year in un-shared revenue they could use to pay free agents from their "North America's Team" deal ...if they wanted to, of course.

Instead, I see they are sticking to their "cash to the cap" philosophy regarding free agents, and have now dumped 3.5 Million a year from the Peters salary dump - er, I mean trade, and are soon to add another 3 million a year when they dump Parrish for the 5th round pick.

Gee, if you add those two salary dumps together, you get 6.5 Million, the exact cost of signing T.O. to his big one year contract. So let me get this straight, they break even on signing T.O. so far in free agency right after they dump Parrish in the next week, so they've used that extra 18 Million dollar wind fall from Toronto to sign......Mike Hangartner?? Wow, let's all continue to keep feeling sorry for poor Ralph Wilson and his small market, OK?

In the meantime, we can continue to watch small market Pittsburgh reinvest into their players and coaches so they continue to remain a championship franchise decade after decade.

Been a while since I logged in, sorry if you have been hashing this over already: This is another example of Ralph Wilson sucking the profit's out of the franchise. I know the NFL is all about the bucks. But a New LT, LG and Center? And only the center is on the team right now? A team is built from the linemen out. Another step closer to the grave for Ralph, another step closer to Toronto for the Bills. Small market team mentality = excuse to be doormat. Really sad to see this once proud franchise in a state of turnstile. Bills draft poorly, find a few nuggets, they get good, they move on. Always nice to see a young enthusiastic team - but come on.

Nothing to see here. Move on people.

Please post more often. Especially with that avatar.

I think reality is beginning to set in, primarily for fan who knew this team during Polian's time. Buffalo is a far cry from respected anymore, and it's moves like this which leave me scratching my head.

I think the Bills are a terminal case at this point. There's no stopping the team moving out the door when the inevitable happens.

Peters is no Mauer or Morneau, he's got a lot of talent, but he doesn't play like a pro bowler.i'm curious now that he has his money what is his motivation? We ante'd up for Evans and Stroud and I feel those two have been for more reliable than Peters.

Lee Evans received his elite WR contract and followed that up with 63 catches for barely over 1,000 yards and 3 TD's. You call that reliable? I call it a decent season for a number two receiver. You think Jason Peters is such a bad character. I would prefer to have an elite number one receiver with a little less "character", and about 10 more TD passes per season!

Marcus Stroud? He played one nice season for the Bills, much less of the player he once was but still a good year based on his injuries he was coming off of. Bang, he gets a new contract without even asking for one. Since he just signed this contract a few weeks ago, you have no idea if he will be "more reliable" then Peters.

Peters? Undrafted rookie free agent signed as a tight end coming out of college. Works his butt off and finds his way to the O Line allowing the Bills to rid themselves of the Mike Williams disaster. Next thing you know he a Pro Bowl left tackle, with an ego twice his huge size. Oh well, it takes all kinds of players to make up a PLAYOFF TEAM, doesn't it?? Peters made his case, and decided to be a jerk and hold out and then ask for even more money and threaten to hold out again.

He was not a player of "high character" or a good "team player" about the money the thought he was worth. SO WHAT? The Bills have the extra money now to afford to pay the kid what he wants, and then not have to worry about their LT for the next 8 years or so.

So now Peters go to Philly and everyone out here is just waiting for him to get fat, lazy and be the Mike Williams of the Eagles. Sorry, I will never believe that. This is the new NFL and "high character" players are not that easy to find. But talented players who still work hard on the field are easier to find if you pay them. The Eagles are paying Peters, and the Bills refused. We'll see how it all works out.

This is a silly argument. The Bills are a profitable franchise. They could afford to pay Peters. They decided he was not worth his asking price. According to the rumors yesterday, Buffalo offered somewhere between 8 and 9.5m per year and Peters told them not to call back unless they got to 11.5m per. According to Tim Graham, Peters just signed for $10 per. So Philly apparently also would not meet Peters 11.5m. I'll bet you that if Peters stings 2 good years together in Philly, he will be back crying poor in 2011.

Buffalo made a football decision and a financial one. Move one. One player does not make a team.