Madden Retiring from broadcasting

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never one of my favorites, but a great football guy nonetheless.

Who knows, I might actually miss statements like "Now, if he catches that in the endzone....that's a touchdown."

I hope they don't elevate Kornheiser. He's *terrible*

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30246064/

NEW YORK - NBC Sports Chairman Dick Ebersol announced today that John Madden, Hall of Fame coach and the most honored broadcaster in sports television history, has decided to retire from broadcasting.

Madden issued the following statement today:

"It’s time. I’m 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall. I have two great sons and their families and my five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I’m home and, more importantly, when I’m not…

It’s been such a great ride… the NFL has been my life for more than 40 years, it has been my passion – it still is. I appreciate all of the people who are and were such an important part of the most enjoyable, most fun anyone could have… that great life with the teams, the players, the coaches, the owners, the League… my broadcasting partners Pat and Al… the production people and the fans …is still great… it’s still fun and that’s what it makes it hard and that’s why it took me a few months to make a decision.

I still love every part of it – the travel, the practices, the game film, the games, seeing old friends and meeting new people… but I know this is the right time."

No more , watch this runner he starts here and goes to his left and.... he starts here and goes to his left... he starts here and goes to his left....

Tha man never said things once he drove me crazy . Hated him as an announcer. Things are looking up.

Please allow me turn this into a topic that belongs on this "main board":

John Madden, who's Raiders lost a classic MNF game in the last seconds on a catch by Ahmad Rashad to the Buffalo Bills,

back in 1974, announced his retirement from announcing.

:thumbsup::D;)

Kornheiser seems like the latest muse they insert into the announcing booth. The whole idea of a non-football person is stupid. Rush Limbaugh was horrible and politically alienating, Dennis Miller was only marginally better and wasn't a fit because he comes across as an elitist jerk, and Kornholer is just plain annoying. I think they should do away with the whole idea of having some idiot in the booth like those guys.

Who knows, I might actually miss statements like "Now, if he catches that in the endzone....that's a touchdown."

I hope they don't elevate Kornheiser. He's *terrible*

Please allow me turn this into a topic that belongs on this "main board":

John Madden, who's Raiders lost a classic MNF game in the last seconds on a catch by Ahmad Rashad to the Buffalo Bills,

back in 1974, announced his retirement from announcing.

:thumbsup::D;)

It's an NFL topic. Unlike some other sites, we don't have a separate Bills-only board. So why wouldn't it belong here?

Back on topic, I didn't care for Madden's broadcasting style, but will always respect his knowledge of the game. Happy trails.

I think Madden was great for the NFL for a number of reasons:

You might not like his broadcasting style, but his voice was football, when you heard it, you knew it was the NFL season.

He kept things simple, and you know what, for novice NFL fans, casual fans, or fans that are just starting to like the NFL, those announcers are needed in a sport, most fans are not like us who are on NFL message boards almost daily throughout the year.

Damn it!!! If ever there was a thread that I wanted to create, it was this one!!!!

Thank God this man is gone. He was the only thing left in the NFL that made me not want to watch games. First it was all the Jimmy Johnson love, then there was the endless shots of the Cowher family in the press box, and now this bumbling old man is finally gone. He made me feel dumber for watching the game. If ever I watched a game with someone unfamiliar with football, he just made it harder for them.

I'm not knocking him as a coach, but as a broadcaster, See-Ya......