I'm predicting Peters will be signed before draft

I think the Buffalo Bills lost a ton of fan approval momentum that was gained by the acquiring Owens when it was announced that Lynch would be getting a three game suspension and right after that Whitner was tased and arrested. Boom boom, very bad, very negative press just like that.

How do you help sell the team again? Well you don't do that by trading away your best and currently most important player at one of the toughest positions for a draft pick. You show him the money, making the fans happy, making the QB happy, making the coach happy and move on to the other big booster shot of fan excitement, the draft. Also, you don't trade someone you "value".

Hey, this is my theory... you can shoot it down if you'd like.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Buffalo Bills lost a ton of fan approval momentum that was gained by the acquiring Owens when it was announced that Lynch would be getting a three game suspension and right after that Whitner was tased and arrested. Boom boom, very bad, very negative press just like that.

How do you help sell the team again? Well you don't do that by trading away your best and currently most important player at one of the toughest positions for a draft pick. You show him the money, making the fans happy, making the QB happy, making the coach happy and move on to the other big booster shot of fan excitement, the draft. Also, you don't trade someone you "value".

What if the Bills offer a 5 year deal worth $50M and Peters says no? Do the Bills pay him what he wants just to make the fans happy?

It's a valid opinion, and certainly doesn't deserve to be shot down. However, there are many Bills fans - and sports writers for that matter around the country, who absolutely don't feel Peters deserves to be paid the money he is asking for. I still agree with you, to just pay the kid the money now, and let him bust his butt to show the NFL he's worth it. I think he is that talented, and I don't agree with many that he will turn out lazy and not work for the contract later.

I don't ever see the Bills paying him that much money though. Peters will have to accept less money, sit out another long preseason, or end up getting traded to another team that agrees with you and I. That's all I see happening with Jason Peters.

I saw the first thread, that's why I referenced it. But I didn't read anything further than the OP's post. Didn't see that ESPN story. I just wanted to take the info to it's next logical conclusion and state when and why they would sign him.

It's a valid opinion, and certainly doesn't deserve to be shot down. However, there are many Bills fans - and sports writers for that matter around the country, who absolutely don't feel Peters deserves to be paid the money he is asking for. I still agree with you, to just pay the kid the money now, and let him bust his butt to show the NFL he's worth it. I think he is that talented, and I don't agree with many that he will turn out lazy and not work for the contract later.

I don't ever see the Bills paying him that much money though. Peters will have to accept less money, sit out another long preseason, or end up getting traded to another team that agrees with you and I. That's all I see happening with Jason Peters.

I'd give Peters one more million than Gross. 6 years $61million.

If he's not signed by draft day, he'll be traded that day. I think they're signing him though.

What if the Bills offer a 5 year deal worth $50M and Peters says no? Do the Bills pay him what he wants just to make the fans happy?

I guess at that point they start to wonder if maybe it wasn't a mistake not to get a new deal with him in February of 2008 before the Long and Gross mega deals pushed the market price for top LT's into the stratoshpere. Then I think they have to make a business decsion, what will help us win more games, signing Peters at that high a price or saving the money to use elsewhere? All this junk about teaching peopel a lesson is for infants with hurt feelings, is business Fredo, strictly business.

I guess at that point they start to wonder if maybe it wasn't a mistake not to get a new deal with him in February of 2008 before the Long and Gross mega deals pushed the market price for top LT's into the stratoshpere. Then I think they have to make a business decsion, what will help us win more games, signing Peters at that high a price or saving the money to use elsewhere? All this junk about teaching peopel a lesson is for infants with hurt feelings, is business Fredo, strictly business.

I agree about the business part. There has to be some apprehension on the Bills part to give this guy a ton of money. However, it seems they have offered a decent contract but he wants more.

i don't see why we can't just rip up the current contract, give him $8 million this year and 9 next, promise not to franchise him in 2011, so he'll still be motivated. That way he gets a fair deal, with incentive not to play like he did last year, and in the mean time we can draft a mid round OT to develop, along with Bell, as LT of the future.

i don't see why we can't just rip up the current contract, give him $8 million this year and 9 next, promise not to franchise him in 2011, so he'll still be motivated. That way he gets a fair deal, with incentive not to play like he did last year, and in the mean time we can draft a mid round OT to develop, along with Bell, as LT of the future.

Because he doesn't want $8M this year and $9M next year. He wants a contract that averages over $11M per year and I'm guessing over $20M guaranteed.

The Bills want to keep Peters- they are not going to give him away- but if a team offers fair value then they are going to trade him- The Bills have now offered Peters a fair contract but Peters now seems to be trying to Price himself off the Bills- in my opinion the Bills should have come to Peters right after he was announced for his first pro-bowl, stroked his ego, give him a pay increase and incentives to make more, but it seems the Bills FO also want their Egos strokes which is very immature and to me just stupid business- and they are paying for it now.

The Bills want to keep Peters- they are not going to give him away- but if a team offers fair value then they are going to trade him- The Bills have now offered Peters a fair contract but Peters now seems to be trying to Price himself off the Bills- in my opinion the Bills should have come to Peters right after he was announced for his first pro-bowl, stroked his ego, give him a pay increase and incentives to make more, but it seems the Bills FO also want their Egos strokes which is very immature and to me just stupid business- and they are paying for it now.

What's to say the IF the Bills stroked his ego right after he made his first pro-bowl that they wouldn't be right here anyway? To me Peters is a complete prima donna and the Bills would be best served to trade his butt for multiple draft picks or some other great player and a draft pick.

If he's not signed by draft day, he'll be traded that day. I think they're signing him though.

I kinda agree. But I see it turned around the other way. If hes not traded by the end of day 1 of the draft, he will be signed.

I have an idea. How about we pay him the league minimum on his paycheck, and then just deliver fistfuls of cash to his locker every day so he doesn't have to pay taxes. That way he doesn't get screwed on direct deposit fees. We won't franchise him because he'll have an open ended contract - he can leave any day he feels like it. If he doesn't want to show up, he doesn't have to. If he wants to go play for NE for a few games after the season, then so be it. If he feels like leaving next season after collecting his signing bonus in cash (fistful of cash form, of course), then he can. And if he chooses to stay, we should write in that Ralph Wilson will deliver coffee to him personally every day, on the field. He also gets use of the team plane whenever he needs it, and the team boat - which hasn't yet been purchased. Get 'er done, Russ!!

Some of you people are complete !@#$ing idiots.