Who thinks it will be Jeb v Hillary in '08?

where does Giuliani stand?

99553[/snapback]

My first thought after hearing about the Kerry concession was who will the Reps run out in 08? You know that Hillary is going to be the choice for the left wingers and the first person I thought of to run against her was Rudy. Maybe have his VP Powell and save Jeb till 12 if something bad happens, which I highly doubt would. I don't know of any other Reps that have had the "face" time to run against Hillary. Thoughts?

That would mean that, from 88 onward, we'd have Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush, and then Bush or Clinton.

A quarter-century being ruled by two different clans. If the founding fathers were alive today, they'd be spinning in their graves.

Truth be told... Jeb  comes acrosss better than GWB and you have to give the guy credit with what he has done in FLA...

99508[/snapback]

I expect to see Dick resign as VP after another year or 2 and Jeb moves in to the spot to get the "incumbant" effect in 08.

The republicans have a very good crop of candiates

Guliani

Pataki

Schwarzzeneger (though he shouldnt be)

Cheney (likely not to want it)

Powell (likely not to want it)

JC Watts

George Allen

etd, etc, etc..

Compared with the democrats

Hillary Clinton

Howard Dean

Al Sharpton

et. Al.

You have honest competent knowlegeble people on one side and well....nothing of substance on the democrat side. This democratic pary needs a makeover. Barack Obama is a good start, but they have a long way to go and need to rid themselves of the cancer amungst them

Guliani

Pataki

JC Watts

George Allen

etd, etc, etc..

99572[/snapback]

errrr.... negative cowboy.

Guliani, Powell, and Patiaki could never get the nomination. Arnold is ineligible. Cheney is near death with his heart (not to mention he is now a liability).

Allen is your only possibility there.

Guliani

Pataki

JC Watts

George Allen

etd, etc, etc..

Compared with the democrats

Hillary Clinton

Howard Dean

Al Sharpton

et. Al.

You have honest competent knowlegeble people on one side and well....nothing of substance on the democrat side.  This democratic pary needs a makeover.  Barack Obama is a good start, but they have a long way to go and need to rid themselves of the cancer amungst them

99572[/snapback]

I have no problem with the "old" Democratic party that used to be on the conservative side but they seem to have been taken over by this far left faction of liberals that feel that they need to punish anyone who works hard and makes money only to give it to the lazy and incompetent. They view this country as a stepping stone for a world government with peace and love. That will NEVER happen as long as there are billions of Muslims who would like to see every Christian dead!! Whatever happened to the decent Democrats that used to have a say? Did they all switch to the Republican Party?

99572[/snapback]

Shouldn't be? He can't be.

Article II, Section 1 of the US Constitution:

No person except a natural-born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President

Shouldn't be? He can't be.

Right, but there has been some talk about amending the constitution to say that you have to be a citizen for 20 years to run. I think that is very wrong, and thus why I said "shouldnt be".

I disagree that Pataki or Guliani cannot win a nomination. Though I will agree both would be best served as a VP for 4 years before running on their own, they are both very strong men with a good track record in New York. The fact they could deliver a state like NY for the republican party would be a very strong selling point.

BTW, I forgot to add McCain to my list

Right, but there has been some talk about amending the constitution to say that you have to be a citizen for 20 years to run.  I think that is very wrong, and thus why I said "shouldnt be".

99632[/snapback]

The Constitution already states that a candidate must be a citizen for 14 years at the time it was approved, or natural-born. Tinkering with that is not a good idea. If it were to happen to get Ahnold on a ticket, that would be gerrymandering at its absolute worst.

Given the baggage that Hillary carries, and her polarizing nature, the Dem's would have to hatch a long-term plan to hurt people's lives so she could be considered as a saviour. Doing that over the 4-year run-up would be the virtual end of any state or local positions - and they won't fall on their swords. Witness the Dem's in Congress not repudiating tax cuts and nary a peep by them on renewing that goofy assault weapon ban.

That would mean that, from 88 onward, we'd have Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush, and then Bush or Clinton. 

A quarter-century being ruled by two different clans.  If the founding fathers were alive today, they'd be spinning in their graves.

99569[/snapback]

Might be some obscure congressional candidate !st as VP... John Sweeney?

A quarter-century being ruled by two different clans.  If the founding fathers were alive today, they'd be spinning in their graves.

99569[/snapback]

But if they were alive, wouldn't they be running for office instead of hanging out in their graves?

:)

Frist v Bayh

All the NY candidates are pipe dreams of the opposition.

Hillary-unelectable to any position outside of the most liberal blue states. Would never get the nomination going through primaries in Iowa & New Hampshire.

Guiliani-on his 3rd marriage, had 2 mistresses while married to Donna Hanover, left 2nd wife after she threw him out & moved in with a gay couple-I can really see the bible belters accepting this guy once they hear of his personal life.

Pataki-the Republicans have had enough of him in NY because he's not fiscially or socially conservative-nationwide-forgettaboutit.

I don't know who the GOP will pick, but it won't be Hillary from the Dems. 

You guys have to get over your Hillary obsession.  Do you see her in your nightmares?  (I won't ask about your dreams).

100533[/snapback]

<looking around for signs of impending nuclear armageddon>

I agree with you...

<ducking and covering>

Republicans in Mass love to put Mitt Romney's name out there.

99768[/snapback]

Mit Romney - Condi Rice or Verse Visa

Fiscal conservatism and foreign policy...

Romney is really impressive...

So is Condi. I've met her. She is one sharp cookie.

100784[/snapback]

Actually I was thinking of her when I wrote foreign policy, but I guess Mit's Olympic credentials give him a presence on the world stage. :unsure:

Mitt's pro-choice. After Tuesday's result, I don't see why the Repubs would move away from social conservatism since it seems to be the winning issue for them in the election.

All of our libertarian Northeast Republicans (Rudy, Mitt, Weld, etc.) can get elected here but are not viable for the primary process.

if she runs i'm a REPUBLICAN

Which is EXACTLY why she wont run. No republican will vote for her, and the reasonable portion of the democratic party wont vote for her. She gets 30% of the vote. Tops.

Look at that Red/Blue map. Now consider she won just 55% of all votes in NEW YORK. She has no chance in any of the states bush won, and would even lose many states kerry won (WI, IA, NH).

Mitt's pro-choice. After Tuesday's result, I don't see why the Repubs would move away from social conservatism since it seems to be the winning issue for them in the election.

All of our libertarian Northeast Republicans (Rudy, Mitt, Weld, etc.) can get elected here but are not viable for the primary process.

102581[/snapback]

Romney is not. He sidestepped that question in the gubenatorial debate two years ago. What I believe he said was that while he thinks abortion is wrong, he would not impose his beliefs on a state that overwhelming approves it. (His opponent hung herself on that same question.)

Romney has been very careful about his social values. He is really a Utah Morman. You might have noticed Utah went Bush by at 71%...

Romney is not. He sidestepped that question in the gubenatorial debate two years ago.  What I believe he said was that while he thinks abortion is wrong, he would not impose his beliefs on a state that overwhelming approves it.  (His opponent hung herself on that same question.)

Romney has been very careful about his social values.  He is really a Utah Morman.  You might have noticed Utah went Bush by at 71%...

102685[/snapback]

I disagree with that interpretation. Lots of people that are pro-choice are personally against abortion. He is very much on the record as supporting the right to choose.

Definitely Pro-Choice