I Do not believe the Bills will pick TE Pettigrew

Kenwick

Cross Pettigrew off Bills' wish list...The tight end position is one of the Buffalo Bills needs heading into the draft, but don't expect the Bills to take Oklahoma State TE Brandon Pettigrew with their first round pick. Pettigrew was arrested on Jan. 20, 2008 on complaints of assault and battery on a police officer and public intoxication. Prosecutors originally charged Pettigrew with felony assault and battery on a police officer, but reached a plea agreement with Pettigrew in which he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault and battery, and misdemeanor public intoxication in the incident. Although this was an isolated incident, with the recent arrests of Donte Whitner, Marshawn Lynch and Ko Simpson, I highly doubt if the Bills' braintrust will take a chance on any prospect with character issues in the upcoming draft.

I just picked this off the internet and I believe the Bills will evade picking him now as maybe so will some other teams. At least not early in the draft.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cross Pettigrew off Bills' wish list...The tight end position is one of the Buffalo Bills needs heading into the draft, but don't expect the Bills to take Oklahoma State TE Brandon Pettigrew with their first round pick. Pettigrew was arrested on Jan. 20, 2008 on complaints of assault and battery on a police officer and public intoxication. Prosecutors originally charged Pettigrew with felony assault and battery on a police officer, but reached a plea agreement with Pettigrew in which he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault and battery, and misdemeanor public intoxication in the incident. Although this was an isolated incident, with the recent arrests of Donte Whitner, Marshawn Lynch and Ko Simpson, I highly doubt if the Bills' braintrust will take a chance on any prospect with character issues in the upcoming draft.

I just picked this off the internet and I believe the Bills will evade picking him now as maybe so will some other teams. At least not early in the draft.

You may be right. Except that with Ko Simpson and Donte Whitner they thought they were drafting good guys. :wacko: Maybe they are thinking, hell, it doesn't matter if we look for eagle scouts or scumbags, they're all idiots.

Pettigrew will not be selected by the bills because he is not even close to being the 11th best player in the draft. If he was a little faster and a little more productive he could go 11, but now it is possible he will fall to round 2.

We'll get him with Detroit's 2nd round pick.

Pettigrew will not be selected by the bills because he is not even close to being the 11th best player in the draft. If he was a little faster and a little more productive he could go 11, but now it is possible he will fall to round 2.

That's funny, because most draft experts have him rated as one of the top 8 prospects in the draft. No way in my view does he make it to the second round. All though I do believe that the recent debacle with Whitner doesn't help his chances getting drafted by the Bills.

If Brown is not available, then I would like to see the Bills go after Pettigrew, even though he probably could be had further down the draft.

Actually, I think Pettigrew is one of the surest bets in the draft...one of a handful of "can't miss" prospects.

But, he's a TE, a position that isn't usually a position drafted high in the first round (like Center, for instance). And he may not have "dangerous" capabilities. In a different year, with different circumstances, I'd say he would be a good pick at #11 (or #13, #15...whatever) for the Bills. This year? Probably not. Maybe if they trade down into the 20s...but he will likely be gone, IMO.

There have been a buch of recent Mock Drafts that have him available at the 42th pick. If he is there at 42, I think the Bills take him. They were not afraid of Hardy last year and Pettigrew is the type of TE the Bills say they want.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/4/12/...-nfl-mock-draft

http://www.nfldraftsite.com/index.htm

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d...mp;confirm=true

(I did a quick google search so I would not get flamed, again, for saying Pettigrew could fall to the second round - most experts do have him going to either Philly or Atlanta in Round 1)

Guest dog14787

Has anyone one ever noticed how some of the best NFL players on the football field, really aren't the best folks off the field.

In my opinion NO we don't want a whole team full of nice guys and I hope the FO feels the same way.

Takes a little bad to be good sometimes :wacko:

There have been a buch of recent Mock Drafts that have him available at the 42th pick. If he is there at 42, I think the Bills take him. They were not afraid of Hardy last year and Pettigrew is the type of TE the Bills say they want.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/4/12/...-nfl-mock-draft

http://www.nfldraftsite.com/index.htm

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d...mp;confirm=true

(I did a quick google search so I would not get flamed, again, for saying Pettigrew could fall to the second round - most experts do have him going to either Philly or Atlanta in Round 1)

If he's there at 42 (I doubt he will be) then it is a no brainer. I could even see the Bills getting a pick (trade?) later in the 1st round to get him.

All though I like Everett Brown, the bust history of FSU DEs is a big worry, just as the recent string of PSU busts raises concerns about Maybin. I think one thing overlooked with Pettigrew is besides being a great receiving threat he is the best blocker. Didnt he handle Arakpo. Seems like Pettigrew would add a lot to the performance of the offensive line.

We won't take Pettigrew unless we end up with multiple 1st round selections. The other would likely be used on Peters' replacement being we would have to trade him to get an additional 1st in the first place. :wacko:

Guest dog14787

Chase Coffman looks promising and he also comes from a very talented family, his Dad played TE for the Packers, both brothers play QB, even his sister Camille listed at 6' 3" is attending Wyoming on a full ride scholarship for volleyball.

The Kids got mad talent and could have the best set of hands in this years draft.

Chase Coffman looks promising and he also comes from a very talented family, his Dad played TE for the Packers, both brothers play QB, even his sister Camille listed at 6' 3" is attending Wyoming on a full ride scholarship for volleyball.

The Kids got mad talent and could have the best set of hands in this years draft.

For what it's worth, I hear the Bills like him, quite a bit. It surprises me a little, as he hasn't shown the ability to block, from what I have seen or read. It's also possible the Peters situation might impact this decision.

Guest dog14787
For what it's worth, I hear the Bills like him, quite a bit. It surprises me a little, as he hasn't shown the ability to block, from what I have seen or read. It's also possible the Peters situation might impact this decision.

I'll bet your correct on Jason Peters having a say in all this, we lose Peters we probably get Pettigrew, if not all bets are off.

I'm just afraid Coffman will not make it into the 3rd round, we may have to pick him in the second to be safe and I doubt we would although it sure wouldn't hurt my feelings if we do.

White + High Motor = Bills' future TE :wacko:

I kid, I kid.

Seriously though, he's an awesome receiving threat at that position. Recognized as the nation's best in winning the Mackey Award this past season. He has the size and hands that make him an intriguing prospect. I think he will become a better blocker if some one works with him on his technique. He seems to get too upright which allows him to become off balance and pushed backward or out of plays. I wouldn't be disappointed if he was our 3rd Round pick. But then again, will he last that long?

White + High Motor = Bills' future TE :thumbsup:

I kid, I kid.

Seriously though, he's an awesome receiving threat at that position. Recognized as the nation's best in winning the Mackey Award this past season. He has the size and hands that make him an intriguing prospect. I think he will become a better blocker if some one works with him on his technique. He seems to get too upright which allows him to become off balance and pushed backward or out of plays. I wouldn't be disappointed if he was our 3rd Round pick. But then again, will he last that long?

That's the question. I'd like to see him go to the Bills in the 3rd. If he isn't there, this seems to be a deep draft for TEs and I think they can get another good prospect, to go along with Fine.

This certainly is a legitimate concern about Pettigrew. Picking him without thoroughly interviewing him and asking him about this incident would be borderline moronic.

You can bet the Bills will already have asked him about this very thoroughly. But now it is just a case of what they think about what they see in him. In picking Hardy, they showed that they will pick a guy who has had some trouble (two incidents before the draft in Hardy's case), if they think he is headed in the right direction. We will see what they think about Pettigrew.

It is worth looking, though, at the details of the incident. Like Whitner, Pettigrew got caught up in a scrum outside a bar. He forearmed or pushed a policeman in the chest.

How serious do the Bills think that incident was?

Possible? Yeah, about a 2% chance, maybe. Not something that is actually going to happen.