Whitner arrested in Cleveland

Beerball

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/04/fo...otball_pla.html

CLEVELAND -- Buffalo Bills defensive back and former Ohio State star Donte Whitner was tasered and arrested early this morning following a birthday celebration at the House of Blues, police said.

Whitner, 23, remains in City Jail. He has not been formally charged but was arrested for aggravated disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, police Lt. Thomas Stacho said.

Whitner is believed to have been at the House of Blues celebrating the birthday of Ted Ginn Jr., a wide receiver for the Miami Dolphins. Whitner and Ginn played together both at Glenville High School, where Ginn's father is the football coach, and at Ohio State.

Stacho gave the following description of Whitner's arrest:

Several fights broke out at the House of Blues and police who arrived around 3 a.m. found a near riot. Police tried to control the crowd and told Whitner to stay back. He then aggressively forced his way past police. When officers restrained him, Whitner broke free and took a fighting stance, police said.

That's when police tasered Whitner and then handcuffed him.

I will reserve judgement until I hear all the facts fully laid out on Donte Whitner's Facebook page.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the thing. I know people like to assume NFL players are thugs, but 90% of them don't get in trouble. They are a microcosm of society and guess what happens in society? People get arrested. But unlike a regular Joe, athletes in trouble are the lead story on Sportscenter and on the sports page.

It's not as though I assume NFL players are thugs. I assumed Whitner was a guy I wouldn't hear about in this way due to his leadership role on the team. Guys like that generally aren't assuming fighting stances at 3:00 AM. I'm surprised by this.

+1 I'm only 20 and I've already had my fair share of run-ins with the police/officers... but i'm always been respectful..yes sir no sir yes officer..no officer and you know what they let you off with warnings as a rule...just show them some respect. I've had friends who feel the need to mouth off and they end up in the county jail overnight. The officers are in the position of power..seems like people have a hard time remembering that.

Lots of people have a hard time remembering that. Lots of people don't remember that police officers are constantly dealing with violent people, so they have to maintain a consistent approach to everything.

Everyone has found him guilty. Whitner has been convicted in the court of public opinion already. There is no benefit of doubt anymore. You miss the point, black men are seen by the police totally different than whites. If I was sitting in a Benz in Culver City I'll bet you any amount of money that a cop doesn't even give me a second look.

Recently in Oakland four cops where shot and killed. Certain citizens(not all, some people of the nieghborhoods actually where disgusted and outraged) put on a parade and memorial service for the young gentlemen that shot him and celebrated his act of defiance killing four police officers. Just thought I would throw that out there, you are always so quick to say it was the Police officers fault. On occasion that is true-Bad Police officers do exist. 99.9% however are good men and women who are trying to earn a paycheck to support there family, they just want to go home to their significant other and kids at the end of the night. Most dont want trouble and hope that officer presents controls a situation. However if it does not the Use of Force Continuem is used, you are to use no more force then necesary to get a situation under control. It amazes me that we throw at all the time innocent till proven guilty(which is true and should be pointed out) and in the same breath accuse the officer who should be given the same right. I like Donte he seems like he is a stand up guy, but it is possible that in the off season he had one to many cocktails and became beligerent with another clubgoer and a cop. Many of us have done something while we where intoxicated that we are ashamed of. if this is true it does not mean that Donte is a bad seed just someone who did something stupid. However it seems more likely then a cop cruising the house of Blues looking to take his anger out on a young African-American football player.While except everything in one light without critisiscm is wrong so it should be the other way as well.

How the !@#$ do these guys get in trouble like this? I have been going to bars and getting plenty messed up for A LOT longer than these NFL guys. I have never caused trouble, been arrested, etc. The only thing I am can think of to attribute these kind of shenanigans to is a sense of entitlement with these NFLers.

When is the last time anyone you worked with was arrested? Oi.

On this team we now have:

Marshawn "I got a gun in the trunk" Lynch

Ko "I'm worth millions" Simpson and

Donte "Don't Tase me Bro'" Whitner

Pretty soon it's going to have to be where only a black cop can arrest a black person. Wait, then the black cop gets accused of being "too white". :thumbdown:

I get what you're saying and it is silly to think it is about race in this case. but you're completely naive to not think there are a bunch of racist cops out there. How many white "suspects" have been killed by the police as opposed to black "suspects"?

I get what you're saying and it is silly to think it is about race in this case. but you're completely naive to not think there are a bunch of racist cops out there. How many white "suspects" have been killed by the police as opposed to black "suspects"?

Do you know if the cops were white in Donte's incident? Do you have proof?

You're right, they're are a bunch of racist cops out there. White and black.

How the !@#$ do these guys get in trouble like this? I have been going to bars and getting plenty messed up for A LOT longer than these NFL guys. I have never caused trouble, been arrested, etc. The only thing I am can think of to attribute these kind of shenanigans to is a sense of entitlement with these NFLers.

When is the last time anyone you worked with was arrested? Oi.

I agree to a certian extent but it is a totally different world for an athlete or celebrity. It is much different when all eyes are on, including some d bag's girlfriend. There are a lot of jealous people out there who want to prove a point by going toe to toe with some athlete or famous person. I remeber one night at Soho, some drunk dbag just started mouthing off to Lawyer Milloy. A lot of guys, famous or not, would have reacted back in a bad way. Luckily, Milloy just laughed at teh guy and he got thrown out. But I'm sure there's times when you have one too many and use bad judgment. Let's reserve a trial before the facts are in.

The Bills have already made to call to borrow These jerseys.

Too funny :thumbdown:

I liked Whitner's attitude that the Bills were playoff bound last year, and he played with a shoulder separation and that's not easy.

If he is as competitive as I think he is, then he has got to feel pretty lousy about last season. I wonder if someone asked him to make another prediction and he snapped.

We used to have bragging rights about our players being clean - let's hope they make up for their offseason blunders by the level of their play on Sundays this season.

I agree to a certian extent but it is a totally different world for an athlete or celebrity. It is much different when all eyes are on, including some d bag's girlfriend. There are a lot of jealous people out there who want to prove a point by going toe to toe with some athlete or famous person. I remeber one night at Soho, some drunk dbag just started mouthing off to Lawyer Milloy. A lot of guys, famous or not, would have reacted back in a bad way. Luckily, Milloy just laughed at teh guy and he got thrown out. But I'm sure there's times when you have one too many and use bad judgment. Let's reserve a trial before the facts are in.

really thats interesting...I head that that club is racist and they turn blacks away...just rumor on the street and local colleges/universities