I don't like Jauron's approach to the Peters situation

I could not disagree more. Successful businesses are run by folks that want to work and succeed, not by slackers that want to be payed top dollar for dubious effort. The later is how you run businesses into the ground.

I am one of those that believe that Peters could be one of the, if not THE most dominant LT in the league if he is dedicated to the role. But he did sign a contract, and I wonder if he realizes the message that he is sending to teams and GMs around the league. "I will honor my contract until I feel that I am not being paid as much as some other tackles in the league, then I might just screw around with the team and not show up and not honor my deal".

There is absolutly no harm in Jauron simply saying that he can only prepare to play the players who show up for camp ready to play. I think that sends a more powerful message about the dedication that an organization has to winning with those that are on board with the team rather than catering to individual egos who have shown the willingness to screw over the team shortly after signing a lengthy contract in good faith to suit their own greed. I just don't think that saying you have no other options (whether in truth or not) is a good signal to send during negotiations.

imo that is.

Successful buisnesses don't go out and announce that they are preparing to replace you when you have not shown any signs of being a problem at this time. Peters has not indicated that he will be a problem yet unless you just assume he will because of last year. Making assumptions like that are what get you in trouble because it sends the message to the player that you are not wanted/needed. Once the player decides that they don't want to be there, it leaves you little options and less negotiating power with other teams when they know you need to get rid of that player.

Behind close doors you can have a plan in place and prepare for him holding out, thats a smart move, but not coming out publically saying that your planning for him not being there.

My comments had nothing to do with Peters personally, it was about the complaint about what Jauron said.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Successful buisnesses don't go out and announce that they are preparing to replace you when you have not shown any signs of being a problem at this time. Peters has not indicated that he will be a problem yet unless you just assume he will because of last year. Making assumptions like that are what get you in trouble because it sends the message to the player that you are not wanted/needed. Once the player decides that they don't want to be there, it leaves you little options and less negotiating power with other teams when they know you need to get rid of that player.

Behind close doors you can have a plan in place and prepare for him holding out, thats a smart move, but not coming out publically saying that your planning for him not being there.

My comments had nothing to do with Peters personally, it was about the complaint about what Jauron said.

While I agree with you that OBD has less negotiating power with other teams in regards to Peters, I do not feel that fact is affected so much by their approach to negotiations with Peters and his agent as it has to do with other teams being leary of a player who does not abide in good faith with the contract that he negotiates, who showed up late last year, and who arguably played at a subpar level before getting injured.

I understand the focus of your complaint, and negotiating details does belong behind closed doors, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with DJ saying that he will play the guys that show up and that the good of the team comes before any individual player. That is what a coach is supposed to do.

DJ would not be the first coach to say that they are not part of negotiations and that they will coach and prepare the players that show up. I believe that stance sends the correct message, whether Peters and his agent like it or not really has no bearing on the matter. They have a number in mind and most likely Russ will not go there after Peters' performance last year.

I hope that I am wrong, and that the parties involved do compromise, but I hope that the details of the "plan B" I mentioned are being ironed out now just in case we end up with the Peters/Parker show part II this season.

This whole thing just sounds like a person who hates DJ finding more reasons to hate DJ. I suppose you'd rather Jauron start handling the Peters situation the way Josh McDaniels handled the Cutler thing out in Denver. Or maybe the way that Parcells handled the Jason Taylor thing last year. Sorry, but when coaches start calling out players before the season or over not showing up to voluntary workouts, it doesn't do any good. I for one am glad Jauron is leaving the negotiating to the negotiators and staying out of it.

This is a tough post to argue with. If Jauron has no say at the bargaining table, one cannot expect him to get too involved, or so it would seem. I hope they also limit his powers on draft day.

The other thing that sticks out would be that Jauron is here primarily for his prowess on the sidelines, and I am trying to decide if that is sad, scary or both.

Is it possible that I like DJ as a person, but not so much as a coach?

I think that he is an incredibly sincere and classy guy, just not head coach material. I will go on record now saying I do so hope that he proves me wrong this season. If he does I will be the first in line with many apologizing for thinking that he does not have the juice to make this a winning franchise.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. Didn't mean to suggest you hated him as a person. Thought that came across. Very clear that you really dislike him as a coach, that's all.

This is a tough post to argue with. If Jauron has no say at the bargaining table, one cannot expect him to get too involved, or so it would seem. I hope they also limit his powers on draft day.

The other thing that sticks out would be that Jauron is here primarily for his prowess on the sidelines, and I am trying to decide if that is sad, scary or both.

Couldn't agree more Bill.

I have a lot of issues with DJ as a HC, based mostly on his problems with gameday decisions.

As for his involvement in player personnel, I think it's probably close to the role most HCs have on most teams. Of course he is going to be very involved in the draft (sorry Bill), it would be stupid for him not to be.

Typically, though, Head Coaches are not very involved in contract negotiations. This is what would happen on most any team.

EDIT: BTW, "not involved" is not the same has "having no say". I'm guessing DJ has a lot of say, and input, but isn't part of the negotiation. He'd probably pay Peters whatever it took...but that isn't responsible negotiation.

I have a lot of issues with DJ as a HC, based mostly on his problems with gameday decisions.

As for his involvement in player personnel, I think it's probably close to the role most HCs have on most teams. Of course he is going to be very involved in the draft (sorry Bill), it would be stupid for him not to be.

Typically, though, Head Coaches are not very involved in contract negotiations. This is what would happen on most any team.

EDIT: BTW, "not involved" is not the same has "having no say". I'm guessing DJ has a lot of say, and input, but isn't part of the negotiation. He'd probably pay Peters whatever it took...but that isn't responsible negotiation.

I think there are a lot of different models for how teams operate, and probably about 32 different models for how teams approach the draft with regard to how much power their HC has in the final decision. There are a ton of factors involved in that, especially how long the HC has been there, how successful he has been, how much power the owner has given him, how much he individually has spent evaluating college players, how powerful the GM is or whomever it is that drafts for that team, how meddlesome the owner is, how long the scouting staff has been there, and how successful they are, etc.

I think that Jauron as a head coach, regardless of his success, has a lot of power in the Bills front office that was given to him by Ralph. Without a strong GM who has been there a long time and who doesn't have a proven track record, Jauron probably has as much say in the draft as the upper third of the league (IMO probably around, say, 8th-11th most). Not as much as some, like the good established coaches (Bellicheck, Holmgren, Reid, etc), but more than most.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. Didn't mean to suggest you hated him as a person. Thought that came across. Very clear that you really dislike him as a coach, that's all.

Its all good.

I just hate to see this franchise spin it's wheels again this year when Peters and his agent have already shown them what they will do if they do not get the dollars that they are looking for. That old adage comes to mind - fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

BTW - I love the avatar. That's a movie my son and I have gotten a kick out of watching together. "Shop smart, shop S-Mart".

I think there are a lot of different models for how teams operate, and probably about 32 different models for how teams approach the draft with regard to how much power their HC has in the final decision. There are a ton of factors involved in that, especially how long the HC has been there, how successful he has been, how much power the owner has given him, how much he individually has spent evaluating college players, how powerful the GM is or whomever it is that drafts for that team, how meddlesome the owner is, how long the scouting staff has been there, and how successful they are, etc.

I think that Jauron as a head coach, regardless of his success, has a lot of power in the Bills front office that was given to him by Ralph. Without a strong GM who has been there a long time and who doesn't have a proven track record, Jauron probably has as much say in the draft as the upper third of the league (IMO probably around, say, 8th-11th most). Not as much as some, like the good established coaches (Bellicheck, Holmgren, Reid, etc), but more than most.

I would agree that different GMs have different amounts of power on different teams. With that said, I can't imagine the HC not having input into the draft, or player acquisitions. Some have total say, and some serve a more advisory role...but, I have a hard time believing there is eve one team that doesn't consult their HC with regard to the draft, trades and FA.

With that said, except for HCs who are also GMs, I doubt the HC is the lead negotiator on many teams.

Yes, there are differences among teams, but being involved in the draft, while at the same time not being the prime negotiator is not an unusual situation, and is closer to the norm, IMO.

I would agree that different GMs have different amounts of power on different teams. With that said, I can't imagine the HC not having input into the draft, or player acquisitions. Some have total say, and some serve a more advisory role...but, I have a hard time believing there is eve one team that doesn't consult their HC with regard to the draft, trades and FA.

With that said, except for HCs who are also GMs, I doubt the HC is the lead negotiator on many teams.

Yes, there are differences among teams, but being involved in the draft, while at the same time not being the prime negotiator is not an unusual situation, and is closer to the norm, IMO.

Definitely. I agree with all of that. All HC have significant input into the draft and I would bet all of them are completely involved in all facets. It's simply a matter of who it is that is making the decisions and who is the one who is the tie-breaker if necessary. From what I have read, Jauron has more power within this organization than most coaches of his record and stature around the league and job stability would suggest.

Agreed, the coach doesn't have to get involved with contracti ssues, his job is to have the players like him, so no need to tick off Peter's

The problem here to is everyone sems to think that they are owed nothing but the absolute truth from the Bill's regarding how they feel about every situation. What the Bill's or DJ have told Peters privately may be much different and they don't owe us this info.

you're reading too much into it.

Coach = Good Cop

GM = Bad Cop

Agreed, the coach doesn't have to get involved with contracti ssues, his job is to have the players like him, so no need to tick off Peter's

The problem here to is everyone sems to think that they are owed nothing but the absolute truth from the Bill's regarding how they feel about every situation. What the Bill's or DJ have told Peters privately may be much different and they don't owe us this info.

Exactly

like when Brandon told Peters in January 2008 there would absolutely be no extension, but told the media all he had to do was show up to get a new deal.

Exactly

like when Brandon told Peters in January 2008 there would absolutely be no extension, but told the media all he had to do was show up to get a new deal.

He should of showed up, he would of most likely had a deal by now. That was Parkers mistake. The Bills FO made the right choice last year by not caving in to the needs of a player that holds out. That move by the Bills FO will pay big dividends in the future. The organization has made it clear it will reward players who participate in activities and not negotiate with those who don't.

For the record, I am very much opposed to trading Peters. There is no way in my view that we should even explore this possibility, that's not to say that you don't listen to trade offers or gauge his value by talking with league sources and etc. That only makes good business sense, if you own an asset, you want to know the value of it. Sort of like when some people get their home's appraised, maybe they are not considering selling it, but they just want to know the value of it.

Peters on our team gives us the best chance at putting up a decent offense next year.

You do know that anything you say regarding Jason Peters can't be taken seriously don't you? I mean, you do have Jason Peters - Christ as your user name.

The name is meant to convey Peters perceived self worth as if he may consider hyphenating his last name to reflect it, I apologize if you've never encountered any sarcasm in your life.

The name is meant to convey Peters perceived self worth as if he may consider hyphenating his last name to reflect it, I apologize if you've never encountered any sarcasm in your life.

The name says FAR more about you, than it does about Peters.

The Bills would have agreed to pay him 11.5 mil a year if he just showed up?

Honestly, it's hard to know what might have happened, but I doubt they would have simply given him the $11.5.

But, I would never discount the impact that might have been made by showing up, working hard, giving the impression he is committed to the team, etc. Those are the kinds of things that can, subtly, change the tone of the conversation.

Maybe the Bills move quickly from $8 mil to $9 mil, if they aren't pissed at Parker and Peters. Maybe Parker eases up on his hard line stance, if he sees real progress being made, with some responsiveness from the Bills.

I don't think anything changes the initial offer and ask, from each side. How the negotiation plays, how quickly it gets resolved (and IF it gets resolved) can definitely be impacted by the related (and seemingly unrelated) actions/decisions each side takes/makes.

I think you missed my sarcasm :wacko:

The Bills would have agreed to pay him 11.5 mil a year if he just showed up?

If he would of showed up last year, who knows what would of exactly happened? But it wouldn't of been worse than what all ready happened, that is for sure.