It sure looks like COO Russ Brandon is putting his thumbprint

Firing Dick Jauron would be career suicide?? Keeping him is "not standing pat"?

Come on---he botched the most important decision he has been faced with!

Firing Dick Jauron would be career suicide?? I was humored by this as well. The guy blew three games last year and we are worried about how he hurts Brandon by not being here. Keeping him here is career suicide.

It was late and I was tired but let me elaborate on the comment.

Jauron isn't expensive and regardless of what people might think at the time Jauron provides stability. Bringing in another coach would have been an unknown X factor. Would signing or luring a coach from another team been better? Maybe but would you risk yourself on making this type of move being brand new to your position? It's a big move and it wouldn't have stopped with just the HC position. Many, if not all, of the coaching staff would have been replaced. That would have been a lot of change for a brand new GM, especially when it's your first gig. If the replacement(s) failed, then what? Who would be responsible then? Brandon would be. That's where the career suicide remark comes into play. If he were to set this franchise back even further, who, including us, would be interested in hiring him as a GM? C'mon, this fanbase is willing to run people out of town if they complain about the chicken wings. I could hear it now, "Oh Ralph hired a PR guy, that's what we get for being cheap, this FO is a joke, that's what we get for hiring a nobody, I wish we still had Polian, good, Brandon sucked anyways, good riddance!" and blah, blah, blah. Oh wait, these kinds of remarks are already being said.

Listen folks, Brandon is not doing a good job, he's doing a great job. Expect more changes, especially in the draft, to come. I wouldn't be too surprise if Brandon does make a move on one of our DEs (Kelsay?) but I would imagine that it would depend on what could be done with the Peters' situation and what the draft can afford us. I'm still thinking that we get Kalimba Edwards after the draft and he and the draft pick would be the replacement for Kelsay.

I believe that if Jauron is not making the grade he'll be replaced, maybe even during the year if things fail miserably. Sometimes it's best to take a wait and see attitude so the proper assessments can be determined. Brandon went on record at the end of the year as saying that our season was unacceptable, so why doubt him? Replacing a HC isn't like replacing an assistant or a player. It's changes the whole complexion of an organization. I saw Brandon demanding accountability and I see Jauron responding to it. If I'm an owner that is what I would be looking for from my GM and other employees and Brandon is providing that.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of your first moves? Brandon had been in the job for a year at that point, or eleven and a half months anyway.

He was officially given the reins on 1/12/08. I know that he has been with us much longer but you and I both don't know what kind of liberty or free rein he truly had up to that point. I'm counting what he has done since he has been officially the COO.

If the bills were going to do this, why not just pay Peters the money. At least you know what your getting

I'm talking about moving up to get LB Aaron Curry at the #2 spot. We would be using Peters and whatever draft picks outside of the #11 pick we need to do this. At #11 we take an OL and then realign our OL to accomodate. Curry is a blue chipper and would solve another area of great need for us while we still maintain our OL at an acceptable level.

[quote name='Tipster19' date='Apr 10 2009, 06:07 AM' post='1382124']

Listen folks, Brandon is not doing a good job, he's doing a great job. Expect more changes, especially in the draft, to come. I wouldn't be too surprise if Brandon does make a move on one of our DEs (Kelsay?) but I would imagine that it would depend on what could be done with the Peters' situation and what the draft can afford us. I'm still thinking that we get Kalimba Edwards after the draft and he and the draft pick would be the replacement for Kelsay.

Are you Brandon's brother in law? How could you possibly say he is doing a GREAT job? Read your own post, cut alot of firnge players, made 1 big trade and signed one above avg free agent. I have no idea of how you can declare last years draft as great? Right now we have one starter from that draft and thats Mckelvin. Most of us on here, could have made that pick. Hardy, Ellis, Bowens, Omon, Johnson, Bell, Fine .....have not done anything yet. Potential does not make it a great draft, production does. While we all hope they do produce, they haven't done squat yet for you to declare this a great draft.

And with all respects to Mr. Russert, why even post that there like it had anytning to do with Brandon? If Brandon does make moves this offseason that improves the team, he will get his due, but please dude you are reaching pretty far here.

I'm not sure if people really realize just how much and how fast Russ Brandon has made changes around here. He was named COO in January of 2008 and didn't waste much time in revamping this franchise and it's roster. Let's review what he has accomplished in just a little more than a year.

1/12/08

Brandon officially named COO. John Guy and Tom Modrak were both promoted to Vice President positions. Guy is now the Vice President of Pro Personnel and Tom Modrak is now the Vice President of College Scouting.

1/16/08

Turk Schonert is named the new offensive coordinator, Sean Kugler has been promoted to offensive line coach, and Alex Van Pelt takes over Turk Schonert's old job as quarterbacks coach. Previously Van Pelt was the offensive quality control coach the past two seasons. In addition Eric Studesville has been given the extra responsibility of running game coordinator to go along with his running backs coach position. He will now have more say in the exact style of the team's running game.

1/18/08

The Bills have added Ray Brown to their coaching staff as the assistant offensive line coach.

1/28/08

Nathaniel Hackett is named the new offensive quality control coach. He replaced Alex Van Pelt who was promoted to quarterbacks coach. Hackett has held the same job with Tampa Bay the past two seasons. He is the son of Paul Hackett who has coached offenses for many years in the NFL.

2/11/08

The Bills hire former NFL defensive back Adrian White as his defensive quality control coach. This position did not exist last year under Jauron's staff. White has spent the last two summers as a volunteer coach for the Bills under the volunteer coaches fellowship program. He was the defensive coordinator for the Berlin Thunder in NFL Europe last spring. He had accepted the job of defensive coordinator and DB coach for Team Alabama in the new All-American Football league before coming to the Bills. He played six years in the NFL with the Giants, Packers, and Patriots from 1987 to 1993. He played under Jauron in 1992 in Green Bay where Jauron was the defensive backs coach.

2/14/08

The Bills released Peerless Price.

2/27/08

The Bills continued to position themselves for free agency by releasing four players. The released players were Coy Wire, Anthony Thomas, Aaron Merz, and Jerametrius Butler.

2/28/08

It's the start of free agency but the Bills secured the rights to all four of their exclusive rights free agents. They tendered offers to Dustin Fox, Corey Mace, Scott Mayle, and Tim Massaquoi. The tenders keep them in Buffalo but they aren't under contract until they sign them. The Bills also tendered a contract offer to just one of their three restricted free agents. DT Jason Jefferson was tendered a contract which means the Bills have a right to match any offer he receives in the free agent market or receive a 6th round pick in compensation. The team did not tender offers to Jim Leonhard and Shaud Williams by the 4pm deadline. They will now become unrestricted free agents at midnight. Last but not least the Bills released CB Kiwaukee Thomas. Thomas was a solid nickel corner for the last two years.

2/29/08

The Bills agree to terms with LB Kawika Mitchell and terminated the contract of Larry Tripplett.

3/1/08

The Bills sign DT Spencer Johnson and consumated a trade for DT Marcus Stroud. What a big day this was!

3/3/08

The Bills lose two players in free agency. TE Michael Gaines signs with Detroit and WR Sam Aiken inks up with the Patriots.

3/5/08

The Bills lose a second player to the Patriots. CB Jason Webster joins WR Sam Aiken in New England.

3/7/08

OL Jason Whittle re-signs with the Bills.

3/18/08

The Bills took care of one of their own free agents and re-signed Bryan Scott. Scott was signed as an injury replacement and made two starts last year. He is a solid hitter who was used a lot on safety blitzes. He's also a good tackler and can play both free and strong safety. The Bills also agreed to terms on a two year deal with veteran free agent CB William James. Formerly known as Will Peterson the former Giant and Eagle visited with the Bills last week. James struggled with injuries in 2005 and 2006 suffering from a bad back. He rounded back into shape last year startiing six games for Philadelphia. He is more of an outside defensive back and he may battle Jabari Greer for a starting job. He adds valuable, experienced depth to the defensive backfield.

3/27/08

The Bills Lose LB Josh Stamer. FA LB Josh Stamer signed with the Titans.

4/26/08

In Brandon's first drat the Bills take CB Leodis McKelvin in the 1st rd and WR James Hardy in the 2nd.

4/27/08

The Bills select DE Chris Ellis in the 3rd rd, CB Reggie Corner and TE Derek Fine in the 4th, OLB Alvin Bowen in the 5th, RB Xavier Omon in the 6th and OT Demetrius Bell, WR Steve Johnson and CB Kennard Cox in the 7th.

5/13/08

TE Kevin Everett is officially off the team. The Bills plan to honor the final year of Everett's contract and helped him get three full years of NFL service last year.

6/13/08

My son's birthday and the Bills released a statement about the shocking death of Buffalo native Tim Russert. "“The Buffalo Bills organization is devastated in hearing the news of the passing of Tim Russert. Tim, as everyone knows, was a tremendous Bills fan. He was always so proud to let people know just how much he loved our team and was such a great ambassador for Buffalo. So many times he ended his “Meet The Press” show with his patented “Go Bills!” that it became part of our Game Day morning rituals. He was a true friend and we will miss him immensely. Our sincere sympathies go out to his family and our team carries a heavy heart tonight as we mourn the loss of this great man, Buffalo’s native son and a Bills fan forever.” There will be a candlight vigil at Tim Russert park in Buffalo tomorrow night at 9pm. Flags in Buffalo have been ordered to half staff.

Truly a sad day for all Buffalonians.

6/25/08

The Bills announced that they have agreed on a contract extension for Brad Butler.

6/26/08

Timothy J. Russert Highway. It sure does have a ring to it, doesn't it? The Senate approved a voice vote legislation on 6/25/08 to rename a portion of Rt. 20 by Ralph Wilson Stadium "Timothy J. Russert Highway". The bill was sponsered by both New York Senators, Chuck Schumer and Hillary Clinton. A similiar bill in the house sponsored by Rep. Brian Higgins is expected to pass in the next few days and President Bush is expected to sign it into law.

Truly a great day for all Buffalonians!

It's just before the start of the 2008 pre-season and this post is getting to be too long so I'm going to end it here. I just wanted to refresh people's memories about just exactly what Russ Brandon has been accomplishing since he took over. I think that he's doing a very impressive job and we shouldn't lose sight of his achievements. Things take time and he has been changing the complexion of this organization drastically if you look closer at it.

I would just like to add that I believe that this is going to be a shocking, in a great way, draft for us this year. I think that Brandon is really going to wow us by some very big moves in this year's draft. Sensing that certain players like Jason Peters and Roscoe Parrish might be getting traded for pick(s)/position in the draft, I'm starting to wonder if we might be exploring some of these options so we can trade up in the draft to get LB Aaron Curry.

It kinda seems like he has done what every GM does? Did you expect him to do nothing?

Jauron isn't expensive and regardless of what people might think at the time Jauron provides stability. Bringing in another coach would have been an unknown X factor. Would signing or luring a coach from another team been better? Maybe but would you risk yourself on making this type of move being brand new to your position? It's a big move and it wouldn't have stopped with just the HC position. Many, if not all, of the coaching staff would have been replaced. That would have been a lot of change for a brand new GM, especially when it's your first gig. If the replacement(s) failed, then what? Who would be responsible then? Brandon would be. That's where the career suicide remark comes into play. If he were to set this franchise back even further, who, including us, would be interested in hiring him as a GM? C'mon, this fanbase is willing to run people out of town if they complain about the chicken wings. I could hear it now, "Oh Ralph hired a PR guy, that's what we get for being cheap, this FO is a joke, that's what we get for hiring a nobody, I wish we still had Polian, good, Brandon sucked anyways, good riddance!" and blah, blah, blah. Oh wait, these kinds of remarks are already being said.

I believe that if Jauron is not making the grade he'll be replaced, maybe even during the year if things fail miserably. Sometimes it's best to take a wait and see attitude so the proper assessments can be determined. Brandon went on record at the end of the year as saying that our season was unacceptable, so why doubt him? Replacing a HC isn't like replacing an assistant or a player. It's changes the whole complexion of an organization. I saw Brandon demanding accountability and I see Jauron responding to it. If I'm an owner that is what I would be looking for from my GM and other employees and Brandon is providing that.

Regarding Jauron, we never will really know who had more influence in the retention of Jauron. Was it Ralphs, Russ Brandon's, we don't know. I personally wished that he was let go, but I can understand the logic in wanting to keep Jauron, I suppose they believe that they have put together a decent nucleus, and feel as if they can compete at a high level with with a couple missing pieces.

We really shouldn't discount the Stroud signing. Remember, we were right at the bottom of the league 2 years in a row, and Stroud pushed us to the middle of the pack. That's big!

T.O, well, who knows hows this going to work out, but if T.O has a year even just a tad below average by his standards, and gives us 8 td's, he will have changed the whole dynamics of our offense and all of a sudden we are a decent offense. This is a big, ballsy signing that could turn out to be the decision that turned this franchise around. It is possible.

Last year's draft has lots of signs of promise. We cut some dead weight in players like Dockery and Royal.

He seems to be handling the Peters situation in the way that I would hope'd he would.

He is sending a clear message to players, that the team will reward you, if you serve the team well and you do it without selfishness, by showing up to camp, practices etc.

He also sent a strong message to Peters last year, that the Bills won't negotiate with players that don't show up for mandatory practices, and I think that decision will go a long way in how other players and agents do business with the Bills. I also believe it gives us more leverage for new rounds of discussions with him this year.

Seems like he has a plan.

[quote name='Tipster19' date='Apr 10 2009, 06:07 AM' post='1382124']

And with all respects to Mr. Russert, why even post that there like it had anytning to do with Brandon?

Well, I meant to put in a disclaimer and forgot. When I was going thru the chronicle Tim Russert was coming up and I wasn't going to pass him. Brandon gets no credit for this. I was simply honoring Tim, that's all.

In his first draft he did an excellent job.

?

1st Nickle Corner/Kick returner

2nd WR, #4 on the depth chart

3rd DE who was not even activated for 9 games and finished the season with 3 tackles

4th Corner who will fight for the dime position

4th a 247 lb, blocking tight end

5th a LB that was on IR

6th a HB that was activated for 2 games

7th a Tackle that played 0 downs

7th a WR with 2 TDs as a rookie - so far the best 'value' pick of the Bill's '08 draft

7th another corner, did not make the team

In a few years we may say that he did an excellent job.

Right now, we do not know if any of these players are even starters in the NFL.

Regarding Jauron, we never will really know who had more influence in the retention of Jauron. Was it Ralphs, Russ Brandon's, we don't know. I personally wished that he was let go, but I can understand the logic in wanting to keep Jauron, I suppose they believe that they have put together a decent nucleus, and feel as if they can compete at a high level with with a couple missing pieces.

We really shouldn't discount the Stroud signing. Remember, we were right at the bottom of the league 2 years in a row, and Stroud pushed us to the middle of the pack. That's big!

I would say having played the second easiest schedule in the NFL may have more to do with the ranking, more than the Stroud signing.

Last year's draft has lots of signs of promise. We cut some dead weight in players like Dockery and Royal.

So did the 2006 draft after the 2006 season. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

He seems to be handling the Peters situation in the way that I would hope'd he would.

He is sending a clear message to players, that the team will reward you, if you serve the team well and you do it without selfishness, by showing up to camp, practices etc.

By fumbling the situation? The Bills organization admitted they had no intention of redoing Peters contract last year regardless if he showed up for OTAs, etc ....

He also sent a strong message to Peters last year, that the Bills won't negotiate with players that don't show up for mandatory practices, and I think that decision will go a long way in how other players and agents do business with the Bills. I also believe it gives us more leverage for new rounds of discussions with him this year.

Seems like he has a plan.

Hitting the kool aid pretty hard this morning I see.

Bills have two choices: overpay for Peters or move him. And the Bills have expressed a desire to do neither one if they can help it. Explain to me again who has the leverage? Because from my POV, it sure looks like Peters is forcing the Bills hand.

I'm talking about moving up to get LB Aaron Curry at the #2 spot. We would be using Peters and whatever draft picks outside of the #11 pick we need to do this. At #11 we take an OL and then realign our OL to accomodate. Curry is a blue chipper and would solve another area of great need for us while we still maintain our OL at an acceptable level.

So we should trade Peters and give the same amount of money (upwards to 50 mil, 30 mil guaranteed) to a LB that doesnt blitz rather than a LT who had an average season?

C'mon now. I like Curry, but he's not worth the money a #2 pick would make. I can't imagine him playing to the level of a Pat Willis or a John Beason, who I think are the best young linebackers in the league, and who were taken at manageable places in the first round.

But at #2? Please. He's a great player but he's not that worthy. Its more of a testament of the talent disparity level. If he came out last year, he would of been a 3-4th round pick. Now he's #1-2? Crazy. And the guy has no proven track record of blitzing!

Again, great player, but not worth #2. He'd be great at 11-20. Not #2. No one is worth trading up to 2, let alone top 5.

Well, it's been four months since then, and while he's upgraded the talent on the field, but he hasn't done jack to upgrade the coaching staff or the front office.

Maybe by not switching the coaching staff like we have every 2 to 3 years like have this entire decade, he thinks they will be upgraded. Face it, talent-wise weren't good enough the past 3 years. Losman set this team back like 4 seasons. And if at the end of the day, Jauron is fired, there is one of the best coaching pools of available talent maybe ever.

I think Brandon is doing a great job and is gonna be very successful in his position. but of course, he isn't a "football guy" like TD so he sucks. :(

Bills have two choices: overpay for Peters or move him. And the Bills have expressed a desire to do neither one if they can help it. Explain to me again who has the leverage? Because from my POV, it sure looks like Peters is forcing the Bills hand.

While Peters may be making it uncomfortable he's under contract so I would have to say that the Bills have the leverage. He can force the hand but the Bills have his rights and trade him to whoever they want to and there's nothing he can do about it except to quit football and I don't think even Jason Peters is that stupid and that's saying something.

If he keeps this up then I think that I would like to see the Bills trade him to a team that won't redo his contract and where he will be miserable. Hey, that sounds like Buffalo!

I would say having played the second easiest schedule in the NFL may have more to do with the ranking, more than the Stroud signing.

So did the 2006 draft after the 2006 season. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

By fumbling the situation? The Bills organization admitted they had no intention of redoing Peters contract last year regardless if he showed up for OTAs, etc ....

Hitting the kool aid pretty hard this morning I see.

You can give the schedule credit for the ranking, thats your prerogative. I'm just giving you facts.

Regarding last year's draft, I said they are showing promise, not that they have panned out yet, so you're getting ahead of yourself with your assumptions.

Fumbling the situation? I disagree completely. Up to now, by setting a precedence, they have shown how they are going to do business moving forward. Regarding Overpaying Peters, I guess it depends on what you call overpaying. You are wrong when you say they never intended to redo his contract regardless if he showed up to OTA's etc..., that is not what they said,

Why don't you take a looksy...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...rs-absent_N.htm

and here's another one for you

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...rs-update_N.htm

It looks like you've been hitting the Kool Aid for a while now cynic

If he came out last year, he would of been a 3-4th round pick. Now he's #1-2? Crazy. And the guy has no proven track record of blitzing!

He would be a 3-4th rd pick??! I respect your opinion on my whole take but aren't you stretching Curry's ability, or lack of, a bit? I was listening to Wake Forest HC Jim Grobe on Sirius radio a couple of weeks back and that is the one thing that he emphasized that he regretted and that was that he never used Curry to rush the passer. He felt that he hurt the kid's draft stock but under no circumstance does that mean that Curry can't. He went on to say that there's nothing that Curry can't do on the football field. Grobe absolutely adores Curry and btw, Grobe sounds like he's one heck of a guy himself, I bet the players love that guy and playing for him.

While Peters may be making it uncomfortable he's under contract so I would have to say that the Bills have the leverage. He can force the hand but the Bills have his rights and trade him to whoever they want to and there's nothing he can do about it except to quit football and I don't think even Jason Peters is that stupid and that's saying something.

Peters is not making it "uncomfortable", he's forcing their hand. It's not like the Bills have a plethora of talented Off lineman to choose from to fill in the different holes. If that was the case, then the Peters hold out would be "uncomfortable".

If he keeps this up then I think that I would like to see the Bills trade him to a team that won't redo his contract and where he will be miserable. Hey, that sounds like Buffalo!

Keeping your fantasies aside, whoever Peters gets traded to will redo his contract. Just do not be surprised if it ends up being somewhat close to what the Bills are offering.

Wake up! "Jauron is not making the grade."

Didn't almost everyone expect DJ to get fired at the end of this year? Problem is he was already signed for 3 more years and Ralph wasn't going to eat that contract. If Brandon had, like a smarter man, waited for the season to finish, there is no way he would have resigned Jauron. I mean I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he is at least that intelligent.

You buy that BS that DJ brings "stability"? Sucking every year IS stability! Is that what you enjoy most about the Bills leadership--that they put out a stable product? Well then you must be the happiest Bills fan here!

Afraid of the "X-factor"? That a new coach might fail? Well, guess what---it could get no worse than it is, could it? Is 4-12 worse than 7-9? Really?

A new HC would replace the whole coaching staff? You mean even "Turk" Schonert and Alex van Pelt?? AWESOME!!

A huge bowel movement is what this team needs. It would bring an element of excitementto the Bills, instead of dread, knowing that we have the same coaching staff--no matter what happens in the draft. Just because we have made very bad coaching choices in the past three means we should just keep our current bad coach because we MIGHT pick another bad one? That's your argument?

You were excited when they hired DJ, you were excited after 2 7-9 seasons headed for a 3rd. Now you are excited about the "great job" that Brandon has done maintaining "stability" (ensuring status quo).

I envy you.

"Shi88tbirds"?? Because we are questioning the "great" R Brandon?

Come on. If you want to read that stuff--go read Chris Brown's blog.

You can give the schedule credit for the ranking, thats your prerogative. I'm just giving you facts.

Regarding last year's draft, I said they are showing promise, not that they have panned out yet, so you're getting ahead with your assumptions.

Fumbling the situation? I disagree completely. Up to now, by setting a precedence, they have shown how they are going to do business. Regarding Overpaying Peters, I guess it depends on what you call overpaying. You are wrong when you say they never intended to redo his contract regardless if he showed up to OTA's etc..., that is not what they said,

Why don't you take a looksy...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...rs-absent_N.htm

and here's another one for you

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...rs-update_N.htm

It looks like you've been hitting the Kool Aid for a while now cynic

There is nothing in those stories that disputes what I said.

Brandon said he's open to the possibility of negotiating a new contract, but only if Peters begins taking part in team functions.

Notice there is no time frame given in Brandon's quotes. It was reported later in the year (and even discussed on this board) the Bills had no intention of redoing his contract last year. They would, however, be willing to discuss a new contract next (this) year.

What a festival of sh-- birds this place has become. God forbid anyone say anything positive about the direction of the team.

Feel free to start your own message board where you can dictate only "positive" people are allowed to post. Should be a blast to read.