I met Tom Modrak at LAX

Last week, I met Tom Modrak at a bar in LAX. We talked draft and overall personnel for about 15 minutes, it was pretty cool. I actually got to talking with him and his coworker because I noticed they were looking at TSW on their laptop!

Anyway, no major insight gleaned, he was very nice and more than happy to talk Bills with me. They were at the USC pro day and on their way to the Oregon pro day. When I said they must be looking at Max Unger, he said, "You're good." He wouldn't really answer any of my questions directly, like "who's the first round pick going to be," but they asked what I thought and agreed with me that a) the d-line absolutely needs to be addressed and b) Keith Ellison, while a fine backup, is not starting LB material.

He told me that Steve Johnson and Demetrius Bell were two guys to look out for in the future, and that he hopes TO's time here won't sap too much PT for Johnson. He said that, if the Bills were to trade Peters, it would probably be for a "first and then some," depending on which first-rounder they got in return. He also said that Chris Ellis is going to have to step it up a level if he wants to be a real factor on this team. Anyway, just thought I'd share this with you guys.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week, I met Tom Modrak at a bar in LAX. We talked draft and overall personnel for about 15 minutes, it was pretty cool. I actually got to talking with him and his coworker because I noticed they were looking at TSW on their laptop!

Anyway, no major insight gleaned, he was very nice and more than happy to talk Bills with me. They were at the USC pro day and on their way to the Oregon pro day. When I said they must be looking at Max Unger, he said, "You're good." He wouldn't really answer any of my questions directly, like "who's the first round pick going to be," but they asked what I thought and agreed with me that a) the d-line absolutely needs to be addressed and b) Keith Ellison, while a fine backup, is not starting LB material.

He told me that Steve Johnson and Demetrius Bell were two guys to look out for in the future, and that he hopes TO's time here won't sap too much PT for Johnson. He said that, if the Bills were to trade Peters, it would probably be for a "first and then some," depending on which first-rounder they got in return. He also said that Chris Ellis is going to have to step it up a level if he wants to be a real factor on this team. Anyway, just thought I'd share this with you guys.

Cool! Thanks for posting.

You shoulda asked him when he's gonna resign. :rolleyes::blink:

Good to see he's moving around and doing his due dilligence on potential draft picks. His comments on Ellis and the speculation from buffalorumblings.com is leading me to believe that the Bills may not be considering DE in round one. Maybe they really are content with Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, and Ellis. They do have a lot of money tied up in DEs.

I'm exciting as hell about Johnson and Bell too.

This whole offseason is really gonna hinge on what happend with Peters. I'm eager for this to unfold so we can deal with it and put it behind us.

Anyways, thanks again for sharing that.

Good to see he's moving around and doing his due dilligence on potential draft picks. His comments on Ellis and the speculation from buffalorumblings.com is leading me to believe that the Bills may not be considering DE in round one. Maybe they really are content with Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, and Ellis. They do have a lot of money tied up in DEs.

I can see them being skittish about picking a defensive lineman, as they seem to have a high failure rate. Or so it seems, from recall, but looking at no data.

Maybe Dibs can take us to school, on that.

I can see them being skittish about picking a defensive lineman, as they seem to have a high failure rate. Or so it seems, from recall, but looking at no data.

Maybe Dibs can take us to school, on that.

Yeah. And all the DEs seem to have some question marks for one reason or another. There really is no true blue-chipper, no true number one DE. Ayers is my favourite of the DEs, but we may be able to land him in round two.

Makes you wonder what the Bills are thinking. Curry and Raji figure to be gone by 11. Will they reach for a LB or TE? Maybe they will go DE after all. They most be hoping for a trade down. Picking a LT seems a logical choice, depending on how the Peters situation ends. There's value and a need with LT at 11. Smith or Oher maybe.

It's really hard to say what will happen.

Great insight. Now to post my draft suggestions with the thread titled "Modrak, I know your watching..."

PS- did you ask how one comes to become a college/football scout? Seems like an intereting career.

Awesome, thanks for that. I wonder if this means they might be thinking TE and C early on, and maybe moving Hangartner to left guard.

Great insight. Now to post my draft suggestions with the thread titled "Modrak, I know your watching..."

PS- did you ask how one comes to become a college/football scout? Seems like an intereting career.

If you like low pay without any sleep.

Then I'd tell you to see a psychiatrist because you were dreaming of SKOOBY.

:blink::rolleyes:

This is cool. Thanks for the summary.

I have to believe he reads here for a good laugh while he's on the road. When you first saw him was he giggling?