Because it Got Buried:

ya very interesting . According to that article you would think that Robert Royal was one of the better TE's running up the seem. 5/5 with over a 23 yard average per reception :devil:

The thing is, if Royal was a reliable receiver (which he isn't) he would be the ideal tight end, for the Bills. He's a good blocker, and he has the potential to be a good receiver...in spurts. He simply couldn't be counted on, and he seemed to fail when they really needed him to succeed.

The thing is, if Royal was a reliable receiver (which he isn't) he would be the ideal tight end, for the Bills. He's a good blocker, and he has the potential to be a good receiver...in spurts. He simply couldn't be counted on, and he seemed to fail when they really needed him to succeed.

I agree with you, but I also think your description of Royal describes about 2/3 of the starting tight ends in the NFL. Ever noticed, too, that guys at that position are very injury prone, on top of all that.

Think about the last tight end that the Bills had, who made any real statistical impact on the Bills offense. It would have to be Jay Riemersma. Guy was injured a lot, was a decent blocker, and a decent receiver, in spurts, just like RR. Jay could make spectacular catches, but drop the easiest ones. Royal was kind of the same way, although, I realize the offenses the two guys playes in were much different. The Bills offensive line has been so shoddy during Royals' time in Buffalo, he never really was the receiving threat, he might have been. We remember all of RR's mental lapses (stupid penalties, slew footing it on endzone cathces), but he had his decent moments too.

I would love to get Scheffler, but I don't want to see the Bills wasting a high draft pick, until they find replacements for Dockery, and probably Peters...if they don't, any tight end will likely be a low impact pick, for a year or two...

I know I should be more forgiving, but as hard as I try, I can't let go of the Titans game a couple of years ago when he failed to get his feet down....you know.....about 3 yards before the back of the end zone.

I KNOW it's a challenging game.

I KNOW the loss allowed us a better draft pick.

I KNOW it was hopeless to have expected to have beaten the Titans.

I know all this.

But despite all my supposed knowledge, I would elbow in front of every one of you to grease the ways so as to allow that LOSER to slide gently into the harbor, and off to his next port.

How ya doin', Dean?

I agree with you, but I also think your description of Royal describes about 2/3 of the starting tight ends in the NFL. Ever noticed, too, that guys at that position are very injury prone, on top of all that.

Think about the last tight end that the Bills had, who made any real statistical impact on the Bills offense. It would have to be Jay Riemersma. Guy was injured a lot, was a decent blocker, and a decent receiver, in spurts, just like RR. Jay could make spectacular catches, but drop the easiest ones. R

Jay was actually fairly good, for several years. He was really stinking it up, though, by the end of his tenure.

Jay was actually fairly good, for several years. He was really stinking it up, though, by the end of his tenure.

I'm looking through a Cabernet-soaked haze, but my favorite was always Killer McKellar. Until the knee went, that could have been some serious...stuff. I never felt that Metzelaars had the athleticism of McKellar, but he sure was a lot more durable.

I'm looking through a Cabernet-soaked haze, but my favorite was always Killer McKellar. Until the knee went, that could have been some serious...stuff. I never felt that Metzelaars had the athleticism of McKellar, but he sure was a lot more durable.

Metzelaars was a terrific contributor, and he had great hands. He wasn't the weapon McKeller was, though.

I have followed the Bills forever and the Bills have never had a very good tight end, If I had to vote on the all-time tight end, I would leave it blank and go for the 3 WR set. I can find 3 or 4 choices at every other position but we have never had a really above average tight end.

Metzelaars was a terrific contributor, and he had great hands. He wasn't the weapon McKeller was, though.

Aw..I gotta give it to Metz, as the best Bills tight end in my days. McKellar was awesome when healthy, but (the perfect example), he was always hurt. He had all the tools, but couldn't stay in the lineup enough. Metzelaars wasn't as flashy, or as fast, but he had great hands, was a fine blocker, and was reliable as hell. McKellar gets all the credit, what with the K-Gun being named after him and all, but Metz was pretty much money.

As for the rest, I know Booker Edgerson was supposed to be tremendous (a little before my time), but there haven't been a lot of great ones in the teams history. Ruben Gant, a name, but also a choke artist, and mental midget, like Royal.

Aw..I gotta give it to Metz, as the best Bills tight end in my days. McKellar was awesome when healthy, but (the perfect example), he was always hurt. He had all the tools, but couldn't stay in the lineup enough. Metzelaars wasn't as flashy, or as fast, but he had great hands, was a fine blocker, and was reliable as hell. McKellar gets all the credit, what with the K-Gun being named after him and all, but Metz was pretty much money.

As for the rest, I know Booker Edgerson was supposed to be tremendous (a little before my time), but there haven't been a lot of great ones in the teams history. Ruben Gant, a name, but also a choke artist, and mental midget, like Royal.

I agree with all of this.

The link up there shows me that Scheffler could be a great TE pickup, especially if he could be had for a 3rd.

Here are the numbers for all of the tight ends who were thrown five or more passes in the deep middle of the field in 2008:

Top Tight Ends on Deep Middle Routes, 2008

Player Team Att Comp Yards Y/A

Jason Witten DAL 10 7 193 19.3

Billy Miller NO 10 8 200 19.3

Tony Scheffler DEN 8 7 213 26.6

Dallas Clark IND 7 5 133 19.0

Vernon Davis SF 7 3 75 10.7

Mercedes Lewis JAC 7 5 121 17.3

Zach Miller OAK 7 5 160 22.9

Visanthe Shiancoe MIN 7 4 95 13.6

Chris Cooley WAS 6 5 128 21.3

Robert Royal BUF 5 5 118 23.6

L.J. Smith PHI 5 1 20 4.0

Booker Edgerson played cornerback, opposite George "Butch" Byrd.

Ernie Warlick is the TE I think buftex was referring to. And, from what I remember he was a good one.

Speaking of ex-Bills' Tight Ends, Bill Miller lives here on St Augustine Beach. He "spins the wheel" at a couple of the local watering holes, during happy hour. Customers get sticks, and they place them on numbers, and he has a big 50-number spoke wheel. Winners get to pick from a selection of hats, t-shirts little bottles of booze, candles, etc.

Bill also played, for the Raiders, in Super Bowl #2, where he caught TWO TD passes...accounting for the only points (other PATs) the Raiders scored against the Packers.

Real nice guy. Real old school. But, he understands it's a different game, now.

Ernie Warlick is the TE I think buftex was referring to. And, from what I remember he was a good one.

Speaking of ex-Bills' Tight Ends, Bill Miller lives here on St Augustine Beach. He "spins the wheel" at a couple of the local watering holes, during happy hour. Customers get sticks, and they place them on numbers, and he has a big 50-number spoke wheel. Winners get to pick from a selection of hats, t-shirts little bottles of booze, candles, etc.

Bill also played, for the Raiders, in Super Bowl #2, where he caught TWO TD passes...accounting for the only points (other PATs) the Raiders scored against the Packers.

Real nice guy. Real old school. But, he understands it's a different game, now.

Bill Miller was a wide receiver. If I am not mistaken he was traded with Daryl Lamonica for Tom Flores and Art Powell in what turned out to be a disastrous trade for the Bills.

Bill Miller was a wide receiver. If I am not mistaken he was traded with Daryl Lamonica for Tom Flores and Art Powell in what turned out to be a disastrous trade for the Bills.

Well, it looks as though he is listed as a SE (or split end) or SE/WR. So, I guess you are right, there.

I'm shocked. I can't imagine this guy being a WR in any era.

My bad!