McDaniels trying to be a Bellichek Jr.

And the other isn't a product of his system? I wouldn't hold my breath on Cutler doing well in Chicago, as gun slingers with no one to throw to are bad news.

ya, but good qb's can make wr's look good.

I think Larry Fitzgerald said that of Kurt Warner

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't think of a situation where a gun slinger has done well with sub-par talent around him. Even Favre was terrible for a few years because of it. Cutler makes so many bad decisions, that I don't think it will be pretty... especially when he decides to jam the ball into a tight window when no one is open... or throws into double or triple coverage.

It's hard for a WR to look good when 80% of the passes are to the RBs and TEs. Of course, it could be the WRs suck or it could be that the QB is just Commander Checkdown or the offensive system or the protections suck or ...

It's hard for a WR to look good when 80% of the passes are to the RBs and TEs. Of course, it could be the WRs suck or it could be that the QB is just Commander Checkdown or the offensive system or the protections suck or ...

wait a second, i thought this thread was discussing the bears...

Success isn't measured in one season. The Bears are a much better team then the Broncos and he will be provided with targets in time. Greg Olsen and Matt Forte are nice compliments to the offense, already. Devin Hester is also getting better at WR. Is it a stretch to think that they could find help in the draft still? Besides their are FA WRs available and more to come in time. It is much easier to find weapons than it is to find a proven probowl QB. Who was our last probowl QB? Denver has just joined the ranks of irrelevant. Nice move! :thumbsup:

Really???? They both missed the playoffs LAST YEAR did they not?

The Bears have STARTED adding the pieces.........they have signed Orlando Pace.

You mean the same Orlando Pace that the Rams with an awfull oline last could not jettison out of town fast enough.

On these boards, you should stick to what you do best. Bashing Edwards.

If you look at the success of the Patriots the last 10 years they consistently trade down in the draft and let perceived star players walk out the door (see Bledsoe, Milloy, Branch) and load up on draft picks. Cutler is clearly better then Bledsoe but I like the idea of loading up on draft picks like the Patriots have done and continue to do (see this year's draft).

The Bills continually trade up in the draft for players like Losman, McCargo, Poz and look were it gets them.

Overall I think the Broncos will reap the rewards of this trade in the long run.

I tend to disagree .... proven QB's are hard to come by. I think the Broncos regret this in the long run .. remember he was trying to get Cassell when this whole thing started not draft picks.

I think the Bears came out pretty good. They got a franchise QB who has 10 years of playing time ahead of him. QB is the most important position on the field and they got one of the best. I say Forte, Olsen, Hester and Cutler is a good offensive nucleus. As an earlier poster said, a WR is easier to find then a franchise QB.

well, New England usually let players go that were on the decline(Bledsoe/Milloy) or were simply just not as good as everyone else thought(Branch)-I mean Branch has never even had a 1000 yard season in the NFL(I know he was close at 998), so he just wasn't that good...

McDaniels is carving out a new way of doing things---letting a franchise QB who is young and on the rise and who just made the pro bowl go...those types of actions and perennial cellar dweller usually go hand in hand. At least he did get a bum of a QB in Orton back and 2 1st rounders and a 3rd, which is quite a haul for any team...now we will see who they get with the extra picks...

You mean the same Orlando Pace that the Rams with an awfull oline last could not jettison out of town fast enough.

On these boards, you should stick to what you do best. Bashing Edwards.

I have seen a NUMBER of people on this board that wanted to trade Peters (NOT ME) & sign Pace. You may FEEL like I am Bashing Edwards because of YOUR LOVE for him, but in the posts I discuss Trent, I am just calling a spade a spade. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH.

If you look at the success of the Patriots the last 10 years they consistently trade down in the draft and let perceived star players walk out the door (see Bledsoe, Milloy, Branch) and load up on draft picks. Cutler is clearly better then Bledsoe but I like the idea of loading up on draft picks like the Patriots have done and continue to do (see this year's draft).

The Bills continually trade up in the draft for players like Losman, McCargo, Poz and look were it gets them.

Overall I think the Broncos will reap the rewards of this trade in the long run.

whether he's trying to be like Bellycheck or not, it's a smart move to mold the team to his liking.

I can't think of a situation where a gun slinger has done well with sub-par talent around him. Even Favre was terrible for a few years because of it. Cutler makes so many bad decisions, that I don't think it will be pretty... especially when he decides to jam the ball into a tight window when no one is open... or throws into double or triple coverage.

Pre-Randy Moss Tom Brady. I seem to recall him doing pretty well with sub-par talent around him. McNabb in Philadelphia has also performed well with mediocre talent. I'm aware that these people don't fit your definition of a "gun slinger" but they do stand as proof that quarterbacks can perform well with mediocre talent. Having a defense that isn't a sieve may help Cutler mature as well.

I think McDaniels looks like a complete idiot. It is obvious he is trying to emulate Belichick and he's doing a poor job, it would not suprise me if he did not last long in Denver. The Culter situation was handled poorly and he done not have the respect in the lockeroom yet to pull a stunt like this and get away with it.

I think McDaniels looks like a complete idiot. It is obvious he is trying to emulate Belichick and he's doing a poor job, it would not suprise me if he did not last long in Denver. The Culter situation was handled poorly and he done not have the respect in the lockeroom yet to pull a stunt like this and get away with it.

It would be foolish to doubt Denver's Management.

Let's see here.

How many Super Bowl Rings does McDaniels have?

You're right though, he has no idea what to do, he was New Englands QB coach in 2004, started calling the plays in 2005 and effectively has been their Offensive coordinator ever since.

Oh

How many super bowl rings does Pat Bowlen have?

You're probably right, he doesn't have a good track record of drafting good players. Poor Denver, they only have 4 1st round picks, 2 2nd rounders and 3 3rd rounders to work with over the next 13 months.

What will they ever do?

Pre-Randy Moss Tom Brady. I seem to recall him doing pretty well with sub-par talent around him. McNabb in Philadelphia has also performed well with mediocre talent. I'm aware that these people don't fit your definition of a "gun slinger"

The idea that Favre's supporting cast was loaded is somewhat a product of the good results.

How many people even remember that his best WR - Robert Brooks - got hurt in '96? And that wasn't long after Sterling Sharpe's career ended.

I tend to disagree .... proven QB's are hard to come by. I think the Broncos regret this in the long run .. remember he was trying to get Cassell when this whole thing started not draft picks.

Orton is a better QB that Cutler or Cassell. Not fully developed yet, but he reminds me of a QB from the same college- Drew Brees......getting rid of Brees was a great move by San Diego......

Denver got the better QB in the deal and a stickpile of draft picks. Denver will be in contention to win the West with a better team than what they had last year

Cutler is not better than Bledsoe, Bledsoe led his team to the play offs multiple times and to the superbowl (twice if you want to count him stepping in and winning the afccg back in 01) The debate isn't even close Cutler has had A good statistical season and zero play off births