McDaniels trying to be a Bellichek Jr.

If you look at the success of the Patriots the last 10 years they consistently trade down in the draft and let perceived star players walk out the door (see Bledsoe, Milloy, Branch) and load up on draft picks. Cutler is clearly better then Bledsoe but I like the idea of loading up on draft picks like the Patriots have done and continue to do (see this year's draft).

The Bills continually trade up in the draft for players like Losman, McCargo, Poz and look were it gets them.

Overall I think the Broncos will reap the rewards of this trade in the long run.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely agree with you. Whenever you get an opportunity to stock pile 2 1st round picks and a third round pick it is awfully hard to pass up a deal like that. Specially considering that Mcdaniel now gets to build a team the way he envisions it. Obviously he never was too crazy about Cutler, so my guess is that he isn't to sore about losing him. What he has to worry about is the pressure that the city of Denver is going to apply. He will be on a short leash his first year with the fans. We'll see how it goes.

If you look at the success of the Patriots the last 10 years they consistently trade down in the draft and let perceived star players walk out the door (see Bledsoe, Milloy, Branch) and load up on draft picks. Cutler is clearly better then Bledsoe but I like the idea of loading up on draft picks like the Patriots have done and continue to do (see this year's draft).

The Bills continually trade up in the draft for players like Losman, McCargo, Poz and look were it gets them.

Overall I think the Broncos will reap the rewards of this trade in the long run.

Except they don't have Belichick and Pioli. Their GM is someone named Mark Xander. Stockpiling good but let's see if these guys know what they're doing. The consensus before the Cutler trade was that they had botched the situation.

Except they don't have Belichick and Pioli. Their GM is someone named Mark Xander. Stockpiling good but let's see if these guys know what they're doing. The consensus before the Cutler trade was that they had botched the situation.

Unless it was the Bronco's intention to trade him all along. The trend in the NFL is toward very accurate QBs that can work the middle of the field... it doesn't surprise me that McDaniels would want a QB like that.

One of those 1st round picks will be going towards the Browns in return for Quinn

I absolutely agree with you. Whenever you get an opportunity to stock pile 2 1st round picks and a third round pick it is awfully hard to pass up a deal like that. Specially considering that Mcdaniel now gets to build a team the way he envisions it. Obviously he never was too crazy about Cutler, so my guess is that he isn't to sore about losing him. What he has to worry about is the pressure that the city of Denver is going to apply. He will be on a short leash his first year with the fans. We'll see how it goes.

You are right about him being on a short leash, & rightly so. This is just like the Bills & Gregg Williams. The Bills had a VERY Good defense, but needed an improvement in offense when Greggo was hired. Williams not only did not improve the offense, he made the defense WORSE because he wanted to change it to HIS SYSTEM.

Unless it was the Bronco's intention to trade him all along. The trend in the NFL is toward very accurate QBs that can work the middle of the field... it doesn't surprise me that McDaniels would want a QB like that.

I assume you are talking about Orton.

One of those 1st round picks will be going towards the Browns in return for Quinn

And you are obviously talking about Quinn.

Many others are assuming that the Broncos will trade up for a quarterback in the draft.

I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that Denver has an open QB competition between Orton and Chris Simms. Simms is very similar to McDaniel's prize pupil...Matt Cassell...same size and skill set.

Denver had a good offense which they've torn down. They have a horrible defense. They are in all-out rebuilding mode. As such, like Kansas City and San Francisco last year, they don't have an immediate need for a franchise quarterback IMO.

I assume you are talking about Orton.

And you are obviously talking about Quinn.

Many others are assuming that the Broncos will trade up for a quarterback in the draft.

I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that Denver has an open QB competition between Orton and Chris Simms. Simms is very similar to McDaniel's prize pupil...Matt Cassell...same size and skill set.

Denver had a good offense which they've torn down. They have a horrible defense. They are in all-out rebuilding mode. As such, like Kansas City and San Francisco last year, they don't have an immediate need for a franchise quarterback IMO.

you may be right San Jose. But I believe it all boils down to how much confidence they have in the 3 QB's in this year's draft. If they believe that Freeman or Sanchez can be a good one in this league, they may just look to go after him now.

The reason why I say this is, just imagine, that Simms or Orton don't turn out to be as good as they hoped, which you have to believe is a very distinct possibility, then that means that most likely they would have to wait for next year to get their QB through the draft and now that extends their timetable in being able to achieve success.

Now if they don't believe that this year's QB class is that strong, then they most likely will look to defer that possibility down the road.

In my view it all depends on their opinion on how good these QB's can be.

This does not apply to QBs. The Bills have spent 3 1st round picks, 1 2nd round pick and 1 3rd round pick trying to find a franchise QB since Kelly left (One for RJ, One for Bledsoe, One for JP, the 2nd for Todd Collins and the 3rd for Trent).

No offense, but I think CHicago made out on this deal, Cutler is the real deal, a true franchise QB.

you may be right San Jose. But I believe it all boils down to how much confidence they have in the 3 QB's in this year's draft. If they believe that Freeman or Sanchez can be a good one in this league, they may just look to go after him now.

The reason why I say this is, just imagine, that Simms or Orton don't turn out to be as good as they hoped, which you have to believe is a very distinct possibility, then that means that most likely they would have to wait for next year to get their QB through the draft and now that extends their timetable in being able to achieve success.

Now if they don't believe that this year's QB class is that strong, then they most likely will look to defer that possibility down the road.

In my view it all depends on their opinion on how good these QB's can be.

Agreed. It depends on their evaluation of who they have and who's available. Good point.

This does not apply to QBs. The Bills have spent 3 1st round picks, 1 2nd round pick and 1 3rd round pick trying to find a franchise QB since Kelly left (One for RJ, One for Bledsoe, One for JP, the 2nd for Todd Collins and the 3rd for Trent).

No offense, but I think CHicago made out on this deal, Cutler is the real deal, a true franchise QB.

no offense taken. Chicago gets their quarterback and Denver gets to build a team the way their coach would like. Seems like a good deal for both if you ask me.

no offense taken. Chicago gets their quarterback and Denver gets to build a team the way their coach would like. Seems like a good deal for both if you ask me.

We'll see how long it takes Denver to find a franchise QB. So far, we are going on 12 years (although I hope Trent steps up this year).

I also hope Trent steps up his game, but I am NOT optimistic about it.

I'm not optimistic about cutler being a franchise QB in Chicago. They have no supporting cast, and cutler will be what Brett Favre was a few years ago... an INT machine who forces a lot of passes. What's more, they traded away any hope of giving Cutler some talent to work with. Cutler will most likely have 20+ INT's next year, and be sacked at least 40 times. The Bears are on offense what the Broncos are on defense... terrible.

I'm not optimistic about cutler being a franchise QB in Chicago. They have no supporting cast, and cutler will be what Brett Favre was a few years ago... an INT machine who forces a lot of passes. What's more, they traded away any hope of giving Cutler some talent to work with. Cutler will most likely have 20+ INT's next year, and be sacked at least 40 times. The Bears are on offense what the Broncos are on defense... terrible.

Agreed about the Bears offense, BUT........when they add the pieces & they will............ Cutler will be Cutler. If he & the Bears struggle in 2010.......... GROWING PAINS...............if I were a Bears fan I would be CELEBRATING tonight.

Yawn. Still trying to convince everyone Cutlers no good? Now that he is out of the AFC, I hope the kid explodes so the majority can laugh at the foolish few. Is it out of the question the Bears could find offensive help out of the first round? Someday we will all laugh at you and Mcdaniels.

Yawn. Still trying to convince everyone Cutlers no good? Now that he is out of the AFC, I hope the kid explodes so the majority can laugh at the foolish few. Is it out of the question the Bears could find offensive help out of the first round? Someday we will all laugh at you and Mcdaniels.

They gave up two 1sts and a 3rd. It will be very hard to make the offense good without depleting the defense. Cutler is not the type of QB that will be able to do well with nothing. Also, Schlereth and Dilfer were talking about this earlier, and seem to agree that the bears have screwed themselves. Cutler's strengths are being able to hold onto the ball a long time and finding the open receiver down field... or jamming it into tight holes. He can't do any of that from his back. (not to mention no one can name a Bears wide receiver). I'd imagine he will either throw it a lot less, or throw a ton of INTs trying to get it to his receivers. If he had gone to the Vikings, i would say he would have had a good shot at success.