Bears get Cutler! He goes to the NFC.

Fingon

Per John Clayton, ESPN:

To acquire Cutler, the Bears had to give up quarterback Kyle Orton and first-round picks in 2009 and 2010, along with a third-round pick in 2009.

To complete the trade, the Broncos had to give back a fifth-round pick in 2009.

Per Clayton the Bears gave two 1sts and Orton for Cutler and a 3rd.

Fingon, Unless John Clayton is wrong, I'm 100% sure you are wrong. My original response to you (above and bolded) was directly cut and pasted onto the page from Clayton's article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4037373

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not saying Orton was the biggest part of the deal by any means, but he was part of it. Two 1st's and a 3rd is alot, and then there's Orton in the deal also. Is that better for you :lol:

No. The point remains. The Bears looked doen the bench and realized that they were never going anywhere with Orton (with picks, without picks). They made a bold move and landed a Pro Bowl QB. Who was Chicago going to take at 18?

I guess they could have signed TO and he would have turned around Orton and the Bears singlehandedly. But they went with Cutler.

Fingon, Unless John Clayton is wrong, I'm 100% sure you are wrong. My original response to you (above and bolded) was directly cut and pasted onto the page from Clayton's article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4037373

He said it earlier. Clayton has since changed it. PFT is now reporting no 5th to the bears.

I guess no one really knows the compensation yet

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

The Bears got completely sheisted on this deal, IMO. Yeah they get Cutler and a 5th, but this year's 1st and 3rd with next year's firts and Orton? That's alot. I'm glad we didn't do anything that stupid. The Broncos can get some real talent with these picks. The Bears may have just screwed themselves in the long run.

What is this long run you speak of - don't you watch the news?

He said it earlier. Clayton has since changed it. PFT is now reporting no 5th to the bears.

I guess no one really knows the compensation yet

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Yeah apparently there was a bit of confusion as to the terms. I guess we should have checked the official Bears website which stated the correct terms all along...two 1sts, a 3rd, and Orton for Cutler and Denver's 5th.

22 quarterbacks in 20 years? I'm not sure there's such thing as "too much" for the Bears to give up for a Pro Bowl QB. Thie town is going nuts right now, it's pretty funny.

It does seem like a steep price, but you make a good point. The Bills would certainly take Cutler in exchange for Losman, Mike Williams and John McCargo.

Draft picks are always a crap shoot.

I am with ya. Not so much the system as much as the coach. He had argueably the greatest offensive minded coach in the league last year. Now he goes to Chicago, who historically has been a play good D and run the ball. I want to see him and Lovie together. Lovie is a very defensive minded conservative coach. Cutler has shown he he very immature and impatient. Hows that going to mix well? How many times is it going to take for Cutler to get pissed at running the ball on 3rd and six from inside his own 35?

Cutler is a 'gun slinger' type qb. Not sure if that is exactly going to fit well into the Bears very conseravtive approach to football the last 25 years. Just me playing devils advocate.

Hopefully it works out good for them. But not so sold on it.

Ron Turner seemingly would be the right offensive coordinator to take advantage of the quarterback's gunslinger tendencies. They have Bennett and Cutler back together again like at Vanderbilt, no?

Ron Turner seemingly would be the right offensive coordinator to take advantage of the quarterback's gunslinger tendencies. They have Bennett and Cutler back together again like at Vanderbilt, no?

As well as Williams, who was his tackle (and he angled for the Broncos to draft...)

Except Chicago doesn't have the Offensive line or receivers for him to gun sling.