Informed Speculation - Buffalo Rumblings

BillsNYC

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/3/29/...med-speculation

I guess take it for what its worth, but these guys have been right on their insider info before with the Bills.

"1) Let's just say the Bills think that their star left tackle not only will stay out of the spring conditioning program, but also the OTAs, and training camp come summer. Let's just also say that they think there is an excellent chance he won't come in for the 2009 season until the tenth game - thus not losing a FA year. Let's just also say that he is demanding he be the highest-paid LT in the NFL and won't budge on this in their salary negotiations. What do you think they should do, or plan to do?

2) Let's just say that they think that a certain Alabama LT is by far the best OT available and have checked out certain problematic personal issues.

3) Let's say that they think that Brandon Pettigrew is a very special player. A "one in five years" kind of guy at the position.

4) Let's say that of the three USC linebackers, a certain Mr. Matthews has by far the greatest upside. At least in the eyes of OBD.

5) Let's say that Mr. Maybin may not have the physical stature/strength to fill the role all of YOU so dearly want him to."

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, I'd hate if the Bills were forced to draft an OT to replace Peters, thereby wasting yet another draft pick.

Just pay the man!

Knowing the Bills, they wont trade him either. He'll just sit on the roster, festering...while we waste our first rounder on an OT, be forced to draft an OG with the 2nd and yet again ignore TE.

I guess take it for what its worth, but these guys have been right on their insider info before with the Bills.

"1) Let's just say the Bills think that their star left tackle not only will stay out of the spring conditioning program, but also the OTAs, and training camp come summer. Let's just also say that they think there is an excellent chance he won't come in for the 2009 season until the tenth game - thus not losing a FA year. Let's just also say that he is demanding he be the highest-paid LT in the NFL and won't budge on this in their salary negotiations. What do you think they should do, or plan to do?

2) Let's just say that they think that a certain Alabama LT is by far the best OT available and have checked out certain problematic personal issues.

3) Let's say that they think that Brandon Pettigrew is a very special player. A "one in five years" kind of guy at the position.

4) Let's say that of the three USC linebackers, a certain Mr. Matthews has by far the greatest upside. At least in the eyes of OBD.

5) Let's say that Mr. Maybin may not have the physical stature/strength to fill the role all of YOU so dearly want him to."

Lets just say you stop saying Lets just say!

If Peters demands $12 million plus then unload him, too much money to invest in a player that doesn't touch the ball and sits out to hurt the team.

What scares me is that they like Andre Smith, who reminds me of Mike Williams.

Reading all of it and putting it together, it looks like the Bills would use #11 on Smith, a traded first rounder (for Peters) on Pettigrew, and take Matthews with their 2nd rounder if still on the board.

Ugh, I'd hate if the Bills were forced to draft an OT to replace Peters, thereby wasting yet another draft pick.

Just pay the man!

Knowing the Bills, they wont trade him either. He'll just sit on the roster, festering...while we waste our first rounder on an OT, be forced to draft an OG with the 2nd and yet again ignore TE.

Keep in mind that Chambers is penciled in as starting LG so we have a rookie at LT and a career backup at LG.

have these guys been wrong?

If Peters demands $12 million plus then unload him, too much money to invest in a player that doesn't touch the ball and sits out to hurt the team.

Reading all of it and putting it together, it looks like the Bills would use #11 on Smith, a traded first rounder (for Peters) on Pettigrew, and take Matthews with their 2nd rounder if still on the board.

Smith at 11 would be a disaster and Matthews won't last past the Pats.

I think the difference between him and Williams is that off the field Smith has been a screw up, but on the field, he is phenomenal. I mean like crazy good. Don't let the bad body fool you - he should be the best Tackle in this draft. But he's not the smartest when it comes to decisions in his young 20s. Hopefully, that changes if he becomes a Bill.

Why pay the worst LT in the league?

I say screw him... keep him on the team for the next 2-3 years as a backup. He can't do a thing about it

Worst, that's a little exaggerated, don't yout hink? keep him as a back up? get a clue man--worst post ever

Found this nugget down in the comments by the guy who wrote the above:

"Brian makes a good point. There is SO much happening out there now. So many conversations/opinions/options. I would guess that the great majority of what is discussed or planned—never actually happens. I know for a fact that about a month ago the Bils had conversations with the Chiefs. At one point, I thought something was imminent. Obviously nothing happened—BUT, who knows, it may yet. Or may not. I also KNOW that a part of the OBD brain trust was infatuated with kicking tires on Jay Cutler. Well—that looks like a dead end now too."

It isn't wasting a draft pick if you are getting a draft pick(s) for him. It is a gamble though....the league is littered with crappy former first round lineman.

Interesting stuff here.

Andre Smith sounds like Mike Williams to me, though.

I'd love to get Pettigrew and Matthews is a great player.

But I'm intrigued by Ayers at DE.

I don't think you can point to one guy who's been developed from their rookie season better than Peters. So many fans rag on him for the bad 08 season, but his play at a high level from late 06 to 07 proves what he can do when he's there in camp.

If the Bills trade him and throw up the white flag to Peters and Parker, it goes to show that the Bills are not interested in winning right now. Because what they get in return will be draft picks and that's not going to help in 09 like Peters would.

I don't think you can point to one guy who's been developed from their rookie season better than Peters. So many fans rag on him for the bad 08 season, but his play at a high level from late 06 to 07 proves what he can do when he's there in camp.

If the Bills trade him and throw up the white flag to Peters and Parker, it goes to show that the Bills are not interested in winning right now. Because what they get in return will be draft picks and that's not going to help in 09 like Peters would.

I want to keep him, but he doesnt deserve $12 million.

Why does Andre Smith remind you of Mike Williams? Because you're a Bills fan thats why! Smith dominated the SEC for 3 years starting when he was a true freshman. He was a 3 time All American/SEC and he won the Outland trophy by the time he was 21. Look at what happened to Alabama when Smith got suspended, they got rolled by Utah! The dude is a difference maker who acted his age for a month, otherwise he had a squeaky clean record at Bama. Take Peter's or Walker's shirt off and let them run the 40, it ain't gonna be pretty! The Mike Williams comparisons have to stop because Williams never came close to doing what Smith has done ON THE FIELD!