All Three qb's may be gone by pick 15

Magox

I hope this plays out, if that is the case, Teams will most likely jockey for position to try to trade up, and we could be a target of a possible trade down.

WILL JETS NEED TO TRADE UP TO GET A QUARTERBACK?

Posted by Mike Florio on March 22, 2009, 10:59 p.m.

In response to Rich Cimini’s item questioning whether the Jets should use the seventeenth overall pick on Kansas State quarterback Josh Freeman, a league source tells us that the Jets might not have to worry about that dilemma.

In the source’s opinion, Freeman will be gone by the time the Jets submit their card.

“All three quarterbacks will be gone by 15 if not sooner,” the source said.

“Freeman has exceptional talent,” the source added. “He’s a young [Daunte] Culpepper with a better understanding of the game coming out.”

The source also scoffed at the notion that Freeman will need at least two years to get ready.

“Most quarterbacks taken in the first round need a few years,” the source said. “Most get forced to play early.”

Well, if one of them (probably Freeman) is left standing at 11, we'll have a chip. If Freeman, Oher and/or Smith are both there, we got a chance to get pizz-aid in traded picks. But, we would need help to move to get what we want out of this draft too:

1-10 (not in order, just a list): Raji, Stafford, Sanchez, J. Smith, E. Munroe, Orakpo, Maclin, Crabtree, Curry, Brown or Maybin.

If that happened, we'd have Brown or Maybin (whomever's left) to pick, Andre Smith, Oher, Beanie...we'd have people interested in one or all. If we traded back to the highest bidder, we could then pick up a Larry English or...A Mack or...Pettigrew without it being seen as a "reach" - and get some picks in the 2nd or 3rd we could use on Line Depth and replacement starters at OLB and SS. And still get a guy for pure pass rush (like Sidbury) in round 2 or 3.

A source is telling me (the source being my brain) that only one QB will be taken in the first 15 picks (maybe two if a team trades up). Just look at the teams drafting in the top 15, the Lions and 49ers are the only teams who actually have a need at QB. You could count the rams if you dont like Bulgers age, but the rams will take a tackle. The 49ers have a handleful of mediocre QBs to play for them, you better believe that Singletary is going to draft defense or Oline. The only reason someone will trade up is to leap frow the Jest at pick 17, aka the only way two QBs are taken.

If that happened, we'd have Brown or Maybin (whomever's left) to pick, Andre Smith, Oher, Beanie...we'd have people interested in one or all. If we traded back to the highest bidder, we could then pick up a Larry English or...A Mack or...Pettigrew without it being seen as a "reach" - and get some picks in the 2nd or 3rd we could use on Line Depth and replacement starters at OLB and SS. And still get a guy for pure pass rush (like Sidbury) in round 2 or 3.

Andre Smith has "bust" written all over him. Mike Williams part deux.

Sidbury shouldn't go until the second day; I'd like to be able to get him in round four but would be willing to grab in the third if the opportunity to do so is there and we don't have another need to fill (LG, TE, OLB).

Its possible, but I dont think it does...mainly because there arent enough teams in the top 15 that even need a QB.

Detroit: I dont think they will take a QB #1.

SF: I think they do draft a QB, but even thats not a lock.

Thats it...now if Denver trades Cutler and does NOT get a QB in return, then they could very well take a QB at #12.

So for all 3 to go in top 15, teams are going to have to want one of these QB's bad enough to move up and get them because most teams that need a QB are outside top 15. I am not sure that many teams are going to be willing to do that yet...

Its possible, but I dont think it does...mainly because there arent enough teams in the top 15 that even need a QB.

Detroit: I dont think they will take a QB #1.

SF: I think they do draft a QB, but even thats not a lock.

I don't think SF takes a QB first. No way. Between Smith, Hill, and O'Sullivan they'll find someone to play that position. My money says Singletary takes someone in the trenches.

I don't think SF takes a QB first. No way. Between Smith, Hill, and O'Sullivan they'll find someone to play that position. My money says Singletary takes someone in the trenches.

Yeah, I think you are probably right if Stafford goes before them, but if Stafford slides because Det doesnt take him #1 and he is sitting there still I just dont see them passing him up. This could be a real possibility.

I dont think Det takes a QB, so if they dont, the next team that could use one is SF. However, with 3 first round grade QB's and none really making a major case for himself over the other, teams might be less inclined to move up the draft to take one because there is a high probability at least one of the 3 will fall to them in the bottom half of the first round as a result of teams needs in top 15. So rather than spend to move up, I could see teams hoping the QB's keep falling based on team needs.

So, if Stafford doesnt go #1, then because he hasnt exactly distanced himself from Sanchez by a wide margin, teams that need a QB might prefer to wait to see who falls to them much like Aaron Rodgers did that year SF took Smith #1 and how Brady Quinn fell along with Leinart based on team needs. And that could result in Stafford falling into the laps of SF. The acquisition of Cassel in KC changed the whole landscape of how the draft may play out because of the impact on where the QB's may be drafted.

JMO

Andre Smith has "bust" written all over him. Mike Williams part deux.

Sidbury shouldn't go until the second day; I'd like to be able to get him in round four but would be willing to grab in the third if the opportunity to do so is there and we don't have another need to fill (LG, TE, OLB).

Let's leave Smith for round 54 Full C.

Has anyone considered the possibility of us taking a quarterback?

How can you turn down the chance to take a solid prospect to have ready to go incase Trent doesn't pan out? Josh Freeman would be perfect for the Bills...

How can you turn down the chance to take a solid prospect to have ready to go incase Trent doesn't pan out? Josh Freeman would be perfect for the Bills...

Josh Freeman sucks. On second thought I can see why you think he would be perfect for the Bills.

I think its a possibility...a small one, but it wouldnt shock me.

I hope this plays out, if that is the case, Teams will most likely jockey for position to try to trade up, and we could be a target of a possible trade down.

In response to Rich Cimini’s item questioning whether the Jets should use the seventeenth overall pick on Kansas State quarterback Josh Freeman, a league source tells us that the Jets might not have to worry about that dilemma.

In the source’s opinion, Freeman will be gone by the time the Jets submit their card.

“Freeman has exceptional talent,” the source added. “He’s a young [Daunte] Culpepper with a better understanding of the game coming out.”

The source also scoffed at the notion that Freeman will need at least two years to get ready.

“Most quarterbacks taken in the first round need a few years,” the source said. “Most get forced to play early.”

The talk in Tampa is the Bucs are interested in Freeman.

I read that as well, Magox. Here are my feelings:

Both top QBs will be drafted in the top 8. I say this because what I'm hearing (both from experts around the web and from friends/acquaintances that hold professional positions in the business--not that they have any influence over draft boards or anything, so don't take that as though it means anything) is that Seattle is all over Stafford and Jacksonville loves Sanchez. However, many folks around the league believe that if either of those teams pass on a QB, said QB has a strong chance to fall all the way to the Jets. That leads me to believe that Freeman would likely be available when the Jets pick at 17.

That said, however, I don't think Gang Green will be so quick to pluck Freeman from the board. I'm told that they really do like this Brett Ratliff (2nd year out of Utah), much the same way that Bill Parcells liked Tony Romo early on in his career, and are anxious to see what he'll do in an open competition with Kellen Clemens.

My best guess regarding Freeman is that one of 3 things will happen:

1) He goes to Tampa Bay at pick 19

2) Somebody in the bottom 3rd of the 1st round trades down with Detroit, St. Louis, or SF, who then drafts him

3) He goes to Detroit at pick 33

Just my 1 cent.