Now that the dust has settled on the T.O. pick up

macaroni

Bolden is not & NEVER was an option. He is UNDER CONTRACT for 2 years with the Birds just like Peters is with Buffalo. I think the TO signing was a fantastic move. If Edwards gets the ball to him, TO will SCORE. With a few more pieces the Bills could make the playoffs in 09, they looked like they would make it last year for half the season. If nothing else TO puts people in the stands & makes things INTERESTING. That can not be a bad thing.

You are right, Boldin is not and NEVER was an option, because the Bills never did, and never WILL try to get him...so he can't be an option. The guy wants out, and, reportedly, the Cardinals are willing to trade him. Kurt Warner may be the only thing that is keeping him there.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the cases against T.O. here are ridiculous. How does the fact that we have holes at LG and LB make T.O. a bad signing? I really don't see that logic. You should be criticizing them for not adding more signings in addition to Owens, not for the Owens signing itself.

OK here's the logic ......

Let's say you are in the need of some home improvements;

Your roof leaks

Your driveway needs replacement

Your carpeting has holes worn through it

Your gutters are rusted through

You have a few broken windows

The paint is pealing off the walls

And then ....

When it's time to spend money on your "home improvements", you install a built in swimming pool

Now I'm not saying a pool isn't a good thing, but what you really need are some basic home repairs not a luxury. A pool is a heck of a lot more "fun" than a new roof/driveway/carpet/gutters/windows/paint ..... but what items have more "value" to you.

You are right, Boldin is not and NEVER was an option, because the Bills never did, and never WILL try to get him...so he can't be an option. The guy wants out, and, reportedly, the Cardinals are willing to trade him. Kurt Warner may be the only thing that is keeping him there.

If the Cards are willing to trade him and he wants out, who ELSE is pursuing him? There have been no reports of anyone being interested, much less his visiting other teams. And while some conveniently choose to ignore it, while blasting TO for doing the same, his sideline rant during the game-winning drive in the NFCCG really knocked-him down in the eyes of many.

Your roof leaks

And then ....

When it's time to spend money on your "home improvements", you install a built in swimming pool

Now I'm not saying a pool isn't a good thing, but what you really need are some basic home repairs not a luxury. A pool is a heck of a lot more "fun" than a new roof/driveway/carpet/gutters/windows/paint ..... but what items have more "value" to you.

The offense was the biggest problem with the team last year. It certainly wasn't ST's (except for arguably the 49'ers game). And despite the loss of Schobel (and thus the only semblance of a pass rush the Bills had) for 11 games, starting (i.e. top-3) DB's for 19 games, and the lack of LB'er depth, the defense kept the Bills in virtually every game last year, save for the Cards game. So it makes sense to try and improve the biggest problem area. The Bills addressed WR and center and have options at LG and LB, both in FA and the draft.

Your roof leaks

And then ....

Of course, almost all analogies can be picked apart, as they don't work at every level, but I think your is flawed at its core. Your analogy makes the impression that:

1. The move that was made wasn't on the list, and is a luxury

2. It is the ONLY move to be made.

Another WR WAS on the list of "home repairs", is not a luxury (in the opinion of most, here) and it isn't the only repair that has been made, or will be made.

So, if I were to use your analogy, the Bills just went and got a much better carpet than they had intended to get, at a good price. It might not wear for a long time, but for the estimated life of the carpet, it is spectacular.

The problem with the deal is that it does nothing to help the team past this season, and its not like they are on the verge of being a SB team, they are barely on the verge of being a playoffteam. T.O. might make them a playoff team, but not much more then a wild card team. Its similar to the Jets signing Favre last year. They took a chance to upgrade their QB position and it worked for a while, but then they collapsed and it set them back.

We all just assume that the Bills will now have a great year and that Evans will be happy to share passes, and the #1 WR spot for 1 year, then go back to the way things were last season. We assume Trent is going to love having to look at T.O. first and make sure he gets his catches first so he doesn't let him have it on the sidelines and in the media later in the year. We assume that Hardy will become better just by standing next to T.O. and that he will have no problem notgetting to see the field much to get better cause he is now 4th on the depth chart. We assume that a Offensive Co-ordinator that was "run oriented" last season is just going to be able to turn things around and call more passing plays to keep T.O. happy. We also assume that T.O. will be able to step in and be a model player for one season just because its a one year deal and he thinks no one will sign him if he doesn't change.

hopefully it does work, and theres no consequences for the future of the team.

The problem with the deal is that it does nothing to help the team past this season,

It gives them a year to develop two young WRs they drafted last year, Hardy and Johnson. And, there is always the outside chance, they re-sign TO, although I doubt that happens.

Again, the alternatives they were considering were Coles (who turned them down) and old-man Galloway. Tell me how TO for one year is worse than a multi-year deal with Galloway.

If you think a left guard - an easier position than RG, according to Ross Tucker - does more for an offense than an offense than a player like TO, you're crazy. Of course, you don't want someone crappy playing the position, but that's about the easiest position to plug a guy into.

Ross Tucker should run our front office, - because they thought LG warranted a $50 mil free agent just 2 years ago.

I guess the difficulty of the position changed in the off season.

Heard of the Draft? You can probably address many of your problems in the first three rounds. Also the Bills have talent on the team that might be ready to step up this year. Ellis was a 3rd rounder last year who maybe is developing. The coaches know that better then us.Bell is another guy the Bills might like as one of the guys to step up and play Oline this year. If i remember correct he is on the same course Peters was. I guess i am not yet in panick mode. I think the team may/may not be totally done in FA. But there is no denyiny they have left some holes that must be addressed. The draft and whats already in the system just might be how they are going to fill those holes.

There may be college kids that can fill some holes for the Bills.

However, we still have the same front office and scouting dept that has failed for this decade to find any impact players in the draft.

who has any confidence that this front office will not totally bungle yet another draft - and leave the Bills with less talent than they had last year (especially on the OL)

Your roof leaks

And then ....

To argue against the Terrell Owens signing, you must argue at least one of the following:

1. Terrell Owens, on a 1-year deal, will do more harm than good.

2. Laveraneus Coles has more to offer this team than Terrell Owens.

3. Terrell Owens' signing somehow prevents the Bills from improving other areas of the team.

In my opinion, none of these cases can be made sensibly. The Bills have plenty of cap room to add whomever they want, of players who are still out there. And we are definitely a better team with T.O. than we are without him.

Therefore, Terrell Owens is a good signing, even if we can complain that he hasn't been accompanied by other good signings.

I'll add a few more positives about brining on Owens:

1. We are treating Edwards like our franchise QB. We really need to find out if he can be one. We could not afford to draft a WR high this year, hope Hardy and Johnson progress, then rinse and repeat next year. I'm happy to see us give him the weapons. Let's see what he can do.

2. I'm glad our DBs have another quality receiver to practice against. It will make them better, and i think it's important for the young ones to get used to this now.

3. I really think Marshawn has the talent to be our franchise back. But I'm not very confident about his ability to handle the media. owens is a media lightning rod and will draw the focus from Marshawn and his recent problems.

4. Sure, the guy can easily become a malcontent. But frankly, I'm becoming a malcontent. I think I might really appreciate and enjoy Ownes calling out our coaches and players who are dogging it if we slip back into chronic losing.

Also, Owens is not getting that much money from the Bills this year. A one year $10 Million, or three year $25 million / $10 guaranteed contract would have really bothered me. He's getting Langston Walker or London Fletcher type money, with a huge incentive to play nicely with ohers and cash in on a big contract a year from now.

If the Cards are willing to trade him and he wants out, who ELSE is pursuing him? There have been no reports of anyone being interested, much less his visiting other teams. And while some conveniently choose to ignore it, while blasting TO for doing the same, his sideline rant during the game-winning drive in the NFCCG really knocked-him down in the eyes of many.

I think the Boldin talk will heat up, after the draft. Teams are waiting to see what happens, because the longer he goes without a new deal, the more he insists he doesn't want to play in Arizona, the lower the price for him will be. As for the TO=AB thing, maybe you are right. But, my original point was, if we are going to get a a-hole on our team, with a pretty poor track record in the area of team chemistry, why not get the younger a-hole, who you can actually build around? There is no denying that Boldin wants out of Arizona... if the Bills were willing to change the way they normally do things, to sign Owens, why not be a little bolder, and get a better player (at this point) who can help you win football games for the next 4 years or so?

Personally, while Boldins' sideline antics weren't real appealing, he doesn't have a history of this kind of behavior (unlike Owens), and there is no evidence that he is a self-loving media whore, who, while very talented, negates his positive play, with his big mouth... Owens just can't help himself. Sure, he is taken out of context a lot, and a much bigger deal is made out some of the things he says or does than would be with some other players. But, Owens knows the way the media works, and he still can't stfu when there is a mike in front of his face. I have seen him nightly on the news here, for three years. One minute, he is saying all the "right things", and the next, being coy and critical. It isn't a big deal... I have no doubt he will be on his best behavior this coming season. But, at the end of the season, unless the Bills are in the playoffs, was this really a great move? I have my doubts.