Another Maybin Topic

H2o

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He does look much bigger. Much more muscle tone too.

He's high risk, high reward. I really, really think he should've gone back for one more year. And if he put on the size and had double-digit sacks again, he'd go number one overall.

Maybin appears to be more and more like the guy the Bills will take. And he's a Penn Stat-er. But who knows?

He had a horrid combine workout and ran kinda slow compared to his playing weight at 234,ran 4.89 at the combine.His weight now at his pro day was 252 and he ran 4.59 and 4.63 forty-yard dash times. This clearly puts him back into the bottom of the first round,it had looked liked he was slipping to the second round with that combine workout.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=5177

Still, I'm hoping the Bills pass on this guy simply because he only had one good year at Penn St and could be a huge bust, even if they plan on using him as an OLB.

http://blog.pennlive.com/bobflounders/2009..._lowers_40.html

The guy has added 25lbs of muscle to his frame. Look at the before and after photos. Wow. It almost makes you think that the guy is on "the juice".

Definitely is bigger....someone probably told him to either hit the juice or hit the weights if he wanted to be drafted in the first round.

He had a horrid combine workout and ran kinda slow compared to his playing weight at 234,ran 4.89 at the combine.His weight now at his pro day was 252 and he ran 4.59 and 4.63 forty-yard dash times. This clearly puts him back into the bottom of the first round,it had looked liked he was slipping to the second round with that combine workout.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=5177

Still, I'm hoping the Bills pass on this guy simply because he only had one good year at Penn St and could be a huge bust, even if they plan on using him as an OLB.

I don't think he ever slipped into Round 2 and I still think he's a top 15 pick.

The reason I can't make up my mind about Maybin is because (again) there is almost no video on him. YouTube has virtually nothing. Seeing is believing.

It's hard to evaluate a player based on watching only 200-300 plays. It's even harder when you only have access to 10-12. Other than written descriptions, I have no real sense of the player himself.

There is much more video on Everette Brown, Brian Orakpo, and Robert Ayers than there is Aaron Maybin. That's the problem I have.

He isn't a fit for this defense. He is a pass rushing LB in a 3-4 scheme. Even though he bulked up the way he did, I still can't see him rushing the passer while lined up with his hand down. He is definitely raw, and I think if he goes to the right team, he will not be asked to produce right away, maybe playing some spot duty here and there, but I still think he possesses more upside than any defensive player in the draft.

I don't think he ever slipped into Round 2 and I still think he's a top 15 pick.

Only if a 3-4 team picks him...

The guy has added 25lbs of muscle to his frame. Look at the before and after photos. Wow. It almost makes you think that the guy is on "the juice".

This article is bull sh--. "At the NFL scouting combine last month, Maybin's 40 time was in the mid-4.7 range" Wasn't it 4.89?? "The 6-4 Maybin has also gained 25 pounds since the middle of January, bulking up from 227 to 252." Everywhere I've read has him going from 234 to 249. "Maybin, the former PSU defensive end who declared for the NFL draft following his redshirt sophomore season, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds this morning during PSU's Pro Day workout on campus." Yeah, right. Besides, he put on 25 lbs. in a month? That can't be healthy...

He isn't a fit for this defense. He is a pass rushing LB in a 3-4 scheme. Even though he bulked up the way he did, I still can't see him rushing the passer while lined up with his hand down. He is definitely raw, and I think if he goes to the right team, he will not be asked to produce right away, maybe playing some spot duty here and there, but I still think he possesses more upside than any defensive player in the draft.

Not saying Maybin is that guy, but the #11 pick is a great place to take a chance on a player with elite talent. The salary structure at the top of the draft prevents teams from taking a chance on players with the most upside. The #11 pick isn't an exorbitant contract.

This article is bull sh--. "At the NFL scouting combine last month, Maybin's 40 time was in the mid-4.7 range" Wasn't it 4.89?? "The 6-4 Maybin has also gained 25 pounds since the middle of January, bulking up from 227 to 252." Everywhere I've read has him going from 234 to 249. "Maybin, the former PSU defensive end who declared for the NFL draft following his redshirt sophomore season, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds this morning during PSU's Pro Day workout on campus." Yeah, right. Besides, he put on 25 lbs. in a month? That can't be healthy...

Maybin's 40 at the combine was 4.78.

NFLDraftScout.com

For openers, the low starting weight. All season long, PSU listed the 6-4 Maybin at 245 pounds, but shortly before the Rose Bowl defensive coordinator Tom Bradley hinted that Maybin was closer to 235 than 245.

"I really can't tell you why Aaron only weighed 227 pounds when he came to us," Saunders said. "And I don't know what he weighed at the start of the Penn State season, but I do know that guys tend to wear down at the end of a long season and that may have been the case with him."

Direct quote from the trainer, and Flounders has been covering Maybin since he got to PSU.

FWIW, here's the story those pictures are from. (I read it in the print edition yesterday ...)

Maybin's makeover

PSU star transforms body to prepare for NFL scouts

Anyone else see this part:

Count many Pittsburgh Steelers -- James Harrison, Heath Miller, Hines Ward -- and Baltimore Ravens among Saunders' clients. Another disciple is former PSU linebacker Paul Posluszny, who left the Buffalo, N.Y., area for Lancaster to train with Saunders for the past month.

Posluszny, who is now in Pittsburgh working with some of Saunders' staff along with Harrison and Miller, doesn't seem like the kind to take shortcuts, does he?

New and improved (physically) Poz as well?

I've known people that ingested protein like this to add weight and muscle:

"I started him with a high-protein breakfast, and he would have some selected carbs. Then he would drink something during his morning workout and he would have some protein drink right after his workout. Then he had a carb shake, some more protein for lunch. He would go do his running, drink another shake and then have a snack. Then he would eat dinner, have another shake and have a snack before he went to bed.

They have the nastiest farts you will ever smell.

Different stopwatches, maybe, although the final link in that list says 4.78. FWIW, NFLDraftScout is the site used by PFWA members, and supplies the official draft bios to the NFL media site.

And Sports Illustrated reported 4.75 ...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/foot...ders/index.html

Notes: Speed and computer numbers or football skills? That's the question scouts must answer when deciding where a number of prospects they saw on Monday will end up in the draft. For example; a number of prospects ran poor 40 times including Michigan's Tim Jamison (5.03), Penn State's Aaron Maybin (4.75) and Brandon Walker of Texas Tech (4.94). Yet all three displayed terrific quickness, footwork and football skills during position drills. Does timed speed win out or do scouts go by what they saw the players accomplish once the football was brought onto the field?

If you're going to juice, now is the time do it. There's no testing in college as far as I know, and it's a few months before he'll be in the pros.

His upper body is huge, but what about his legs? As an athlete you need powerful legs and a core to support both, not just chest and arms. His sluggish combine workouts indicate that he did not strengthen his legs enough to carry the upper body weight. As a college athlete I have seen first hand what happens to kids who put on a bunch of upper body muscle and ignore the lower body. Lets just say its not a pretty sight watching somebody built like Johnny Bravo run.

There are not too many players who are bigger risks than Maybin in this coming draft. He is a completely different person now. He went from playing at a safetys wieght to a big LBs, with no tape on him to the latter. Very risky, too risky for 11.