Will libraries (as physical buildings) become obsolete?

BuffaloBill

Why should I buy a device to read something when I already have the device. My eyes and a library. :thumbsup:

"Gee hon, we just got our credit card statement and we're still going in debt and I can't quite figure it out."

True.

The libraries would just start adapting the tech as it gets cheaper and more available... And offer it free of charge just like paper books.

Look what the libraries did with card catalogs. I talked about my wife... The card catalog was "froze" five years before she took over as director... She came in and wanted to get rid of the huge beast that was taking up tech space... The old guard said no, it was bolted to the wall... The next day, she requested the village work crew to come out and move it to the basement... Guess what... It wasn't bolted... The old-timers were in disbelief... People hate change! Now that area has been made available for "family tech rooms"... Rooms where you can go with your child and use the computer, printer and what not and not have your child distrubing the rest of the patrons. One old man in his 80's came in a week after she moved the CC and said: "When you moved the CC, you ripped a piece of my heart out." My wife replied: "Sorry the thing was frozen for 5 years prior." :unsure:

Again... People hate change. Employees (mostly females: that is another rant I can get on) wouldn't even help carry materials for senior citizens out the door and to their vehicles.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the original post question:

Yes. And no.

Yes, if the institution chooses to die on the vine with in-the-past thinking.

No, if they choose to move forward with technology. This thinking is quite the 180 degree agrument that people pose. The argument that tech will actually make the building obsolete. There is always a need for "mortar and bricks." It is just what you put in it that makes them useful.

In the end, some will die because the patrons will just stop using them. But, the ones that "get it" will flourish even more than they have in the past.

As long as there are Barnes and Noble, or B. Daltons people will use them as libraries so in essence no, libraries will not go out of style.

Did I mention that I hate people that use Barnes and Noble as a library?

You're changing your argument though -- you said:

If you don't want to buy a device like the Kindle because of the cost, that's an entirely different arguement -- but one that won't hold weight a few years down the road when the cost of the technology drops to mass consumption levels.

I'm simply challenging statements like yours (and others) who say that reading off of a monitor sucks -- it does, and that's why there's the eInk technology available which looks very similar to actual print.

Well sure I changed my arguement seeing you said the new technology will not be as bad on the eyes as a computer screen. My new arguement is the cost of technology to do something we already have....books. I understand that people will have access to a much larger amount of things to read but spending money is what had gotten us into the financial mess we are in today. If you remember awhile back I was saying how getting cell phones for kids was causing people to go into debt and I was chastised for that. It's the fact that people constantly need to have new stuff (that cool car, that top of the line home theater, that rental property, the best computer games etc) that have !@#$ed people and their futures. That stuff adds up.

Dont' get me wrong, technology is great. I finally broke down and bought a blackberry but the difference is I can afford it but there are lot of people out there buying shiit they cannot afford. Once again, it's that want vs need thing.

spending money people don't have is what had gotten us into the financial mess we are in today.

I finally broke down and bought a blackberry but the difference is I can afford it but there are lot of people out there buying shiit they cannot afford. Once again, it's that want vs need thing.

Yeah, the Kindle and its ilk are definitely a luxury item, but there are a lot of free books you can download for it as well... But it'd take a long time to make up for the initial price tag. ;)

Yeah, the Kindle and its ilk are definitely a luxury item, but there are a lot of free books you can download for it as well... But it'd take a long time to make up for the initial price tag. ;)

I know I'd probably have a field day with it. The problem the past few years is people have a hard time distinguishing between luxury and necessity. Hopefully this beatdown in the economy will bring people back to reality.

And hell I've bought so many books over the years that I've yet to read. I belonged to the history book of the month club and kept forgetting to opt out. When they'd come I'd look at them and say "oh what the hell, such a pain to get them shipped back. I'll just keep it." I'm getting set up for my retirement.

• 2 weeks later...
I know I'd probably have a field day with it. The problem the past few years is people have a hard time distinguishing between luxury and necessity. Hopefully this beatdown in the economy will bring people back to reality.

Great comment ... I just read somewhere that a significant portion of people in the U.S. (don't remember exactly - safe to say 80%+ considered a dishwasher a " necessity." Same thing for microwave ovens. I do not advocate that we should all gather around the fire pit to make our meals but too many people have a very distorted sense of "necessity" in this country.

I could never see myself using one of those Kindle things. Not that I have any problem with those people that do use the Kindle, but to me there is just something about actually holding a book. I can't even fall asleep anymore if I don't read for an hour (from something not school related), and I can't imagine doing that on a laptop.

I could never see myself using one of those Kindle things. Not that I have any problem with those people that do use the Kindle, but to me there is just something about actually holding a book. I can't even fall asleep anymore if I don't read for an hour (from something not school related), and I can't imagine doing that on a laptop.

My sister said the same thing, when I first showed her the Kindle, when it first came out. But, my borther-in-law got her one for Christmas, anyway, and now she absolutely loves it. She does a lot of traveling, and it's much easier than having to make the choices about what to bring, lugging the books, being away longer than you expected, etc.

At night, at home, she still reads a lot of real books, though. I think she prefers it, in certain settings.

I can't imagine doing that on a laptop.

Kindle != Laptop.

The Kindle weighs 10 ounces, is less than an inch thick, and has no backlight - uses eInk. It's nothing like any computer screen you have ever seen before.

My wife loves it for many reasons:

1) Can read without glasses since you can adjust the font

2) No turning the pages -- press the "next" button that's on the side

3) Easier to hold than a book

4) Don't worry about losing your place

Are these things worth $350? Probably not, but it's the price to pay for jumping on a new technology early. She's sure getting good use out of it!

Great comment ... I just read somewhere that a significant portion of people in the U.S. (don't remember exactly - safe to say 80%+ considered a dishwasher a " necessity." Same thing for microwave ovens. I do not advocate that we should all gather around the fire pit to make our meals but too many people have a very distorted sense of "necessity" in this country.

Well, to be fair, a dishwasher is cheaper to run than doing the dishes by hand... You use less water and less soap.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/08/dishwasher_vs_h.php

(if a site called "Treehugger.com" says so, it has to be true! :( )

Kindle != Laptop.

The Kindle weighs 10 ounces, is less than an inch thick, and has no backlight - uses eInk. It's nothing like any computer screen you have ever seen before.

My wife loves it for many reasons:

1) Can read without glasses since you can adjust the font

2) No turning the pages -- press the "next" button that's on the side

3) Easier to hold than a book

4) Don't worry about losing your place

Are these things worth $350? Probably not, but it's the price to pay for jumping on a new technology early. She's sure getting good use out of it!

Ok, I guess I should have said "I can't imagine reading books off of a screen". And numbers 2 and 3 are actually detractors for me. I love the feeling of holding the book and turning the pages.

But to each his own.

I just spent the weekend at the dunes in Indiana camping with my son's Scout Troop. :lol::lol: Saturday night and this morning were an utter washout and mudfest, but we all stayed dry last night (in tents)! :(:angry:

The sad thing was I got full reception with Verizon on the cell phone... Better than that crap company in my own house/backyard...

The trully sad part? No sooner than I hit the hay last night, I had to check the score of the Sabres-Habs game... :(

Well, to be fair, a dishwasher is cheaper to run than doing the dishes by hand... You use less water and less soap.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/08/dishwasher_vs_h.php

(if a site called "Treehugger.com" says so, it has to be true! :( )

I still argue that point with my crazy in-laws... They are moving and the new place has a dishwasher... They said they didn't want it (they are old)... The lady said, you gotta take it, it comes with the place... :angry::(

Anyway... Told them that the dishwasher uses less water and their eyes lit up! (must be a cheap ass BFLO thing now that it (having a dishwasher) directly effects them?)... Hey, I am from BFLO, I can laugh at the old people there. :lol::lol:

Ok, I guess I should have said "I can't imagine reading books off of a screen". And numbers 2 and 3 are actually detractors for me. I love the feeling of holding the book and turning the pages.

But to each his own.

That's the point though, eInk doesn't look like a screen. You really take a look at it if you find anyone who has one. It's really quite amazing.

Can't help with #2 and #3, although I think if people tried it, they'd be pleasantly surprised.

Back to the original post question:

Yes. And no.

Yes, if the institution chooses to die on the vine with in-the-past thinking.

No, if they choose to move forward with technology. This thinking is quite the 180 degree agrument that people pose. The argument that tech will actually make the building obsolete. There is always a need for "mortar and bricks." It is just what you put in it that makes them useful.

In the end, some will die because the patrons will just stop using them. But, the ones that "get it" will flourish even more than they have in the past.

Don't forget that the primary mission of public libraries is to provide equal access to all. The more advanced the technology, the more left behind a large segment of the public who can't afford it will become. That's where public libraries continue to be valuable. They are one of the institutions that level the playing field (did I really just use that term?), particularly when it comes to technology and technology oriented services.

Does Brooklyn PL need 47 branches? No; and that's where you cut budgets. But the idea of libraries becoming obsolete is not a positive thing for our country.

Bad economy. Libraries are doing more patrons during economic down turns. Libraries are still largely FREE.

Now, don't get me wrong... If certain libraries don't adapt and change to current tech swings, some may die on the vine. It is all about have a good model for the institution.

For the time being, at least, Libraries are on the upswing.

I read an article that was talking about how there has been a SIGNIFICANT increase in customer volume in libraries because of the economic situation. People are going to libraries to send out resumes, job hunt, and spend time on the internet.

The library offers a place, other than your home, for jobless people to go and be productive, or even just hang out.

Now after the recession, it will be interesting to see what happens, but at least for right now, libraries are being rejuvenated.

Does Brooklyn PL need 47 branches? No; and that's where you cut budgets. But the idea of libraries becoming obsolete is not a positive thing for our country.

Exactly.

The idea of libraries becoming obsolete is not a positive thing for our country any society. You have to rank libraries at the very top of all professions in society. Ah, that can be another argument to discuss... How do you rank professions in society?