My plan for Jason Peters and the Bills

Leonidas

I really don't believe Philly is going to offer 2 1st round picks. I really don't. Probably a 1st and a 3rd.

a 1st and 3rd would be a lot more than it took the Bills to get him in the first place. with the draft being heavy for talented Tackles, the Bills could afford to trade Peters for that and address the Tackle position with their first pick. i believe that Tackle could start right away too. he may not be a Pro Bowl caliber but sufficient enough to help a young team grow.

Trade Peters for two 1st round picks and a second-day pick to Philly. If we have to throw in a mid-rounder to seal the deal then so be it. Turn around and send those two picks to Carolina for Julius Peppers, then sign Orlando Pace to a 2 year/$10M deal to play LT. Draft a mid-round (2nd/3rd round) LT to groom into the starting role (assuming this Demetrius Bell guy doesn't get it done) and let Pace - who only gave up 2.5 sacks last year (to Peters', what, 13.5?) - protect Trent's blindside. Then trade out of the #11 pick (assuming we didn't have to send it for Peppers) down to about #20 (and grab another third round pick while we're at it) and take our choice of TE (I assume Pettigrew is still the consensus #1 TE since apparently Nelson and Cook can't block?). Then, assuming we have signed an OLB and a LG we start drafting for depth and for the future, starting at LG/OL, FS, LB, DE, etc.

Thoughts?

Step away from the Madden controller... its going to be alright.

I like the idea of shipping him to Phila for their 2 first round picks. Then I think we sign Orlando Pace for 2 to 3 seasons and draft a LT with one of 3 first round picks. The other 2 picks for TE and DL and we should be looking good. Plus if we sign Julian Peterson (after his release) this could be a good offseason.

How is this different than the other Peters trade threads? In those threads, people are postinga their ideas for a trade. Apparently, you think your version of the trade is so special, it needs its own thread.

It's not, and it doesn't.

Oh good lord. You'd think that Moses came down from the hill and said "Thou shalt not start duplicitious threads." Who cares if this is in one thread or another?

It's a great idea, but I think we are drastically overestimating Peters worth. Other teams know that he gave up more sacks than any other tackle in the NFL last season, despite missing significant time. If we can get one 1st rounder for him, I'd be happy. Chances are that if we draft one of the top 3 or 4 tackles with that first rounder-not Andre Smith, we'd be better off than we were last year at that position and have a lot more $$$$ to spend elsewhere.

Only problem is that Peppers will almost want that 13M per year that Peters is demanding....Now the BIlls will end up paying for Pace, Peppers, and a first round pick....While they may have addressed their DE and OT needs, I just don't see the Bills paying for 3 topnotch DEs, especially when Stroud and McGee have to be signed next year along with probably extending Edwards if he has a good year.

Three "top-notch" DE's? Are we signing Suggs and Strahan too? Cause we don't have two "top-notch" DE's. Pace will come substantially cheaper than Peters and will certainly be a solid LT for a few years (if he can stay healthy - unlike Jason Peters). Personally I'd rather pay Peppers than Peters; Peppers has shown he can be the top DE in the game with incredible versatility and ball skills, as well as his ability to get to the QB. Peters has shown he's fully capable of giving up 11.5 sacks in 13 starts. LT is an important position, but there are more solid LT's out there than dynamic DE's like Peppers.

a 1st and 3rd would be a lot more than it took the Bills to get him in the first place. with the draft being heavy for talented Tackles, the Bills could afford to trade Peters for that and address the Tackle position with their first pick. i believe that Tackle could start right away too. he may not be a Pro Bowl caliber but sufficient enough to help a young team grow.

What it took the Bills to get Peters is irrelevant. I think it's very possible to get Philly's first two picks for Peters and probably wouldn't want to trade him for any less (unless we got the Herschel Walker trade, of course).

Oh good, you're still here...and still a d-bag.

Oh good lord. You'd think that Moses came down from the hill and said "Thou shalt not start duplicitious threads." Who cares if this is in one thread or another?

My thoughts, almost to a T.

Roy Williams fetched a 1st 3rd and 6th. Roy Williams hasn't done anything in a few years.

Didn't they get a 7th too? I've heard reports they did. Detroit robbed that !@#$ in Dallas...

The bottom line is, if you trade Jason Peters for a 1st round pick, that means that the team we traded him to, which in ALL likelihood has a better evaluator of talent in the front office than we do, thinks Peters is worth about 13-14 million a year (considering they are going to be willing to sign him to what he will agree to, over 10 mil, PLUS give away their #1 pick and probably more)

Sign him. Soon. 10 mil a year but try to keep the guaranteed money reasonable so they can cut him after two years if he isn't performing.

Sign Peters and move on. These fantasies of picking replacements through a draft are comical.

Peters is our most physically tough player. He ragdolls defenders. This team lacks toughness,

getting rid of Peters is a step backwards.

How is this different than the other Peters trade threads? In those threads, people are postinga their ideas for a trade. Apparently, you think your version of the trade is so special, it needs its own thread.

It's not, and it doesn't.

Amen

How is Peters so Elite? I just don`t get it. He is NOT worth the MONEY . If he was I would be the first to start screaming to sign him. He plain and simple sucked last yr,no matter what. 1 yr wonders don`t cut it in my book. I watched every game last yr of him giving up sack after sack. And no he really didn`t come on at the end. The big injury came at the end,LOL.Probably saving himself for the big fat contract. Excuses are like azzholes ,everybodys got one ,but they still stink. :ph34r:

So hang on here...since you watched every game so intently, you probably are aware of the games in which Peters gave up sacks (which is totally misleading, since despite what all of you would like to claim, "sacks given up" STILL isn't an official NFL statistic). So I'm sure you know that he (supposedly) only gave up 2 over the last half of the season, which would seem to imply that yes, he did come on during the last half of the year.

Also contributing to this assertion is the idea that the team's running game was vastly improved over the last 8 games of the season (before you say it wasn't, check the stats, and these ones are official!).

So yes, Peters did "come on" at the end. I realize that it doesn't fit your viewpoint, but it's still a valid statement.

I still think that, as long as we're trading Peters, we might as well throw in Evans, Owens, Lynch, Jackson, Stroud, Schobel, Posluszny, McKelvin, McGee, and Whitner. With all those guys, we should be able to get 5 first round picks for each of them. Then Buffalo would have 55 first round picks this year.

Sounds plausible to me.

Fantasy football has made everyone a general manager. The one thing about all those scenerios is that almost the entire league would have to cooperate and the solar eclipse would be needed to seal the deal.

Just asking, but how do we know that Peters is an "elite OT"? He's played two full seasons at the position. He appeared to play well in 07 and not so well in '08.

With most other positions, it is more easy to quantify performance. Is t the "Pro Bowl" designations? Is it one of those situations where, since we can't clearly quantify performance here, we are simply saying he's one of the best because others have said so--and we don't have any other "elite" players on the team?

If we look at his performance last year (11.5 sacks given up) and conclude that he is one of the best at his position, i.e. that's as good as it gets, is it really worth 11+ million a year to get that kind of performance, at best, year after year?

Wasn't this guy an undrafted morbidly obese TE when we found him and simply made him an OT? Is it impossible that we couldn't do the same with another morbidly obese lineman already on the team, or in the draft.

Just asking.

maybe he's elite because some team, the favorite being Philly on this board, is willing to give up multiple picks including 2 1st rounders AND then sign Peters to the huge deal he wants.

if there is any truth to the rumor that a team with a real scouting dept thinks a 2 time pro bowl LT is "elite", then I would tend to believe them over your expert assessment.

just saying

Fantasy football has made everyone a general manager. The one thing about all those scenerios is that almost the entire league would have to cooperate and the solar eclipse would be needed to seal the deal.

Not sure what that means. I played fantasy football once and I hated it. Took a team game and broke it down into individual accolades.