Alabama Offensive Tackle Andre Smith

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what Jason Peters would look like running the 40 shirtless. At least his man boobs would propel him to a 4.7 40. But honestly is anyone suprised he is flabby? You could see it thought his pads all season. Peters and Wlaker are flabby. A. Haynesworth is flabby. I posted before that maybe this is just how he has always trained, and he figured he workign hard enough as he dominated the SEC for 3 years. He is high risk high reward, the risk is too high to gamble on him in rd 1, but the reward to great not to gamble in round 2.

I don't know whatever possessed him to run without a shirt on.

Yeah that was really strange. All the announcers were like, why did he take his shirt off? No one asked him too. It's probably like that Simpsons episode where a drunk Homer looks in the mirror and see this cut up guy. Smith must have thought he was TO. And now thanks to his dillusions, i have slo-mo images of his giants moobs bouncing in the air. It's like Baywatch, only the complete opposite.

Here is another post on Smith, somewhat contradicts the other report.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=5099

States that Smith weighed in at 325- his lightest weight in 3 years, was impressive in his position drills, and was not winded once the drills were complete -- implying he was "inshape" and could carry his weight.

Nobody who saw any of that video could say the guy is remotely in shape.

I suspect that this is going to be one of those "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" types of things. Namely, there will be some scouts that look at how flabby he is and say to themselves, "This kid was dominate in college with virtually no weight training or consistent workout program. Imagine how great he can be once we put him on the path to actually getting and staying in shape!"

The problem is that if he isn't motivated to get himself into shape now, what is he going to do once he gets a large signing bonus in his hands? It may be in his best interest as well as any team that drafts him to hope that falls out of the first round, where there won't be that much of an up-front investment in him. Perhaps only then will he be motivated to be the best that he can be.

Nobody who saw any of that video could say the guy is remotely in shape.

ESPN/AP does the same thing, although they don't use any quotes from scouts or sources saying anything bad about him. They say that at 325 he's the lightest he's ever been.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=3971535

I'm almost certain that Florio's probably right, he's almost never wrong.

But he doesnt have any real meat to his argument as to why Smith was a disaster, save for a few unidentified quotes. Is there anybody else out there that is saying the workout was a disaster?

It's like everyone is apologizing for the guy.

19 reps? For a tackle, you've got to be kidding me. The USC kicker did 22.

His gut flops out over his belt like an old man (like me). And my manboobs are smaller.

If this guy is in this kind of shape now, after his bowl game suspension, after his combine walk out....when he needs to be in the best shape of his life for the big contract....

I don't see how you touch this guy.

I don't see how you touch this guy.

Agreed. Someone will be fooled into thinking they are getting a gem because he was originally supposed to be top 10. Hope it's not the Bills...they don't need guys with motivation problems.

Just saying, but Bruce Smith wandered into Buffalo, New York and weighed 300+ lbs. and didn't dedicate himself until he caught a whiff of how difficult the NFL really was, at his position. It is easy to paint this young man with the bust label, however, we all can recall how immature we were at 22 years of age. God knows, I wouldn't have a clue how I'd have responded in retrospect, and anyone who says that they are positive about the results they would have produced is just kidding themselves. He is, undoubtedly, a talent, we will see! I'm rooting for the kid personally.....

Just saying, but Bruce Smith wandered into Buffalo, New York and weighed 300+ lbs. and didn't dedicate himself until he caught a whiff of how difficult the NFL really was, at his position. It is easy to paint this young man with the bust label, however, we all can recall how immature we were at 22 years of age. God knows, I wouldn't have a clue how I'd have responded in retrospect, and anyone who says that they are positive about the results they would have produced is just kidding themselves. He is, undoubtedly, a talent, we will see! I'm rooting for the kid personally.....

How bad would a draft of Pettigrew-Smith-Robinson be after trading down?

First off I don't want him with the #11 pick.

But, I will say this about Andre Smith.

going into the combine, he was the considered by most analysts as the #1 O Lineman.

What has changed between now and then?

Well, he didn't participate at the combine, and was out of shape. Redflags

Two, we now have seen his manboobs.

Ok, I will let you guyz in on a secret. his manboobs didn't all of a sudden just grow. I'm pretty sure he has had them for a while now.

Bottom line, when he has been out on the fooball field, he's been dominant.

Heres a lnk to the video of the 40.

http://blackandteal.com/2009/03/12/andre-s...-pro-day-video/

After hearing how bad he looked, I was expecting a lot worse. Thats what a 325 lineman looks like shirtless (maybe a little less man boob action though). Peters and Walker look like that shirtless no doubt. I still think that he will be a good player in the NFL, he was just too dominant in college not to be while playing with all that weight.

Bottom line, when he has been out on the fooball field, he's been dominant.

Yes, he has been dominant. But, nowadays, in the salary cap era, the draft is even more important than before. Players just have a couple of years to prove themselves before being labeled busts and cut. They need to be able to step right in immediately and play. And with young players acting all Pacman, teams can be set back years if they make a big mistake in round 1 or 2. Look how McCargo and Williams set us back? Yes, I know there is much more that lead to our suckiness, but just imagine if they both evolved into Pro Bowl players? Imagine where we would be now? They were/are both highly talented, but unmotivated individuals and we ended up screwing around with those 2 projects for too many (wasted) years. Teams really need to have their picks count. Teams can't afford to take these risks anymore.

As many have said here already. If he can't stay in shape when millions are on the line what do you think he'll do when he's drafted? It's too much of a risk. I wouldn't take him til the fifth round if he was still there. Some team will grab him long before then and they may be very smart or very dumb but with that amount of cash on the line why risk it?