Heres 2007...

BALL SPEED MPH

Ingle Martin 61

Jay Cutler 60

Brodie Croyle 58

Tavaris Jackson 57

Bruce Eugene 55

Cutler 60 MPH

DAMN, WE SHOULD HAVE DRAFTED THIS INGLE MARTIN FELLA! HE SURE CAN SLING IT!

I can't believe we're still discussing Cutler.

IT'SSSS NOTTTTTT GOIIIIIINNNNGGGGG TOOOOOOO HAPPPPPPPPEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

How many playoff games has Cutler led the Broncos to?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post.

I had posted something similar last year. As I recall, TE's ball speed was only about 3 mph less than JP's. Also, Trent had the flu at the combine for what its worth.

The whole ball speed critique is really bs when you look at the objective facts.

Arm strength has very little to do with the modern QB. The ability to read coverages and release the ball quickly are what are more important. To the best of my knowledge, no one has found a way to measure that at the combine.

AHH I would agree with you except for the fact you have to have a strong arm to throw the ball in the swirling winds of Ralph wilson stadium in Buffalo NY. Have you seen how his ball just floats in the winds compared to his opponents in the same conditions.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2007QB.php

A link I could fine and the site said he threw the worse pass he ever saw.

Yeah, well he has one of the ugliest web sites I have ever seen. I clicked the link and then I was like "where the sh-- is everything." and, as many of us know, walterfootball.com's homepage looks like it was designed by a 6 year old.

AHH I would agree with you except for the fact you have to have a strong arm to throw the ball in the swirling winds of Ralph wilson stadium in Buffalo NY. Have you seen how his ball just floats in the winds compared to his opponents in the same conditions.

Yes, in HD even.

Watch his rating jump this year, and then we can talk.

Great post.

I had posted something similar last year. As I recall, TE's ball speed was only about 3 mph less than JP's. Also, Trent had the flu at the combine for what its worth.

The whole ball speed critique is really bs when you look at the objective facts.

I found the link regarding JP's ball speed at the combine -- 57.3

JP's ball speed at combine - 57.3 mph

For those of you who constantly critique Trent's arm strength, you will note that the Hefty Lefty's ball speed was 60.7 mph whereas Big Ben's was 55.7 mph at the same combine. 55.7 mph is just .5 more than Trent's average ball speed at his combine.

I found the link regarding JP's ball speed at the combine -- 57.3

JP's ball speed at combine - 57.3 mph

For those of you who constantly critique Trent's arm strength, you will note that the Hefty Lefty's ball speed was 60.7 mph whereas Big Ben's was 55.7 mph at the same combine. 55.7 mph is just .5 more than Trent's average ball speed at his combine.

In addition, it is documented that Edwards added 15 lbs of lean muscle last offseason. It's probable and even likely that his arm is stronger and his ball faster than it was three years ago. He's always been listed at around 230 lbs but he played his rookie season at 215.

Arm strength probably has relatively little to do with how fast you can through the football. Its more about technique (e.g., how well you use the other parts of your body in conjunction with your arms and how well you time your motions). There are stick figure QBs who throw the ball like it came out of a rocket launcher and QBs with awesome physiques who throw more like grandma....

Arm strength probably has relatively little to do with how fast you can through the football. Its more about technique (e.g., how well you use the other parts of your body in conjunction with your arms and how well you time your motions). There are stick figure QBs who throw the ball like it came out of a rocket launcher and QBs with awesome physiques who throw more like grandma....

Of course but all things being equal the person who is stronger will throw the ball harder...all things being equal. You've played sports and worked out haven't you?

Arm strength is important but it is overrated. Edwards is a highly accurate passer and that is more important.

Case and point, Jamarcus Russell has the strongest arm in the world and can hurl it 60 yards from his knees, but he isn't a good QB.

Just responding to your comment on Russel....Trent hasnt exactly been stellar himself..."highly accurate" passer is an over statement too...so if people are going to point to how young Trent is, then you have to extend the same courtesy to Russel who plays on a way worse team with way less talent on the offense to work with.

I always hear how accurate Trent is, but he has as many INT's as he does TD's...his accuracy is helped by his tendency to check down...he is over rated for his accuracy and should actually have quite a few more INT's but he has been fortunate several times. For example, because a down low post player in the NBA like say Shaq has a high FG%, doesnt make him an accurate shooter when he has so many high percentage FG's every game down low. Same with a QB, when he makes short check down throws that even I can make, his accuracay gets inflated. I care about when he throws over the middle or an out. Trent has only 18 TD's to go with 18 INT's, that doesnt scream accurate where it counts...

Not saying he wont get better, just judging his actual on field performance to this point...

To me this is a non issue.....

Trend Edwards has a very accuarate and strong intermediate field arm with a quick release.......he will NEVER be the QB that looks to throw bombs all day long which is why he needs a big physical wideout (check) to going along with a good pass catching TE (hopefully in the draft) Lee stretches the field and we can really open up things underneath with play action bombs every once in a while......

We just need to make sure he has consistant protection.....

Same with a QB, when he makes short check down throws that even I can make, his accuracay gets inflated. I care about when he throws over the middle or an out. Trent has only 18 TD's to go with 18 INT's, that doesnt scream accurate where it counts...

Not saying he wont get better, just judging his actual on field performance to this point...

No you're not; once again you're just judging statistics.

If you'd ever played the game you'd realize that quoting a bunch of statistics has nothing to do with what actually happens on the field. Accuracy is about putting the ball where it needs to be, not about what percentage of passes are completed in a particular offense. If you were actually judging on-field performance instead of parroting meaningless stats you'd understand that Edwards has shown a very high degree of accuracy throughout most of his brief career.

Trent Edwards arm strength has come into question over and over on this board so in an effort to put this to bed i'd like to show the facts...

Top 5 Results: Ball Speed (Group 1)

1. Troy Smith Ohio St. 58.5

2. Jeff Rowe Nevada 57

3. Drew Stanton Michigan St. 55.7

4. Jared Zabransky Boise St. 55.2

5. Paul Thompson Oklahoma 54.8

Top 5 Results: Ball Speed (Group 2)

1. Toby Korrodi Central Missouri St. 63

2. John Beck Brigham Young 61.1

3. Kevin Kolb Houston 55.3

4. Trent Edwards Stanford 55.2

5. James Pinkey East Carolina 53.9

Ball speed??? lol--its not that simple. Anyone with eyes knows that Trent has ....generously.... an average arm.And thats being generous.

No you're not; once again you're just judging statistics.

If you'd ever played the game you'd realize that quoting a bunch of statistics has nothing to do with what actually happens on the field. Accuracy is about putting the ball where it needs to be, not about what percentage of passes are completed in a particular offense. If you were actually judging on-field performance instead of parroting meaningless stats you'd understand that Edwards has shown a very high degree of accuracy throughout most of his brief career.

TE is accurate when he isnt concussed.And thankfully he is accurate cuz he aint wowing anyone with his arm strength