Chris Brown calls on Bills Nation - DEFEND BFLO!

I will be emailing this writer in a response to this article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../SP1D16CIK8.DTL

From Chris Brown's Blog "San Fran writer needs to be straightened out"

By Chris Brown - Posted March 11th, 2009

Ladies and gentlemen of Bills Nation, I have a humble request if you hold your native hometown and its football franchise sacred. Many times Buffalo, and the Bills for that matter, have been denigrated by an assortment of sports writers over the years. It’s often an easy and convenient way for lazy journalists to fill space in their columns. And S.F. Chronicle writer Bruce Jenkins may be the most misinformed of them all.

In a T.O. signing spin-off column he proceeds to insult not only the city of Buffalo, but the history of the Bills franchise, claiming O.J. and T.O. are the only flamboyant stars in the team’s history. Sure he lists some names from Bills history in passing, but he dismisses Thurman Thomas and completely forgets Bruce Smith. Yup, Smith was not even mentioned.

You know, Bruce Smith, the league’s all-time sack leader, the guy that’s going into the Hall of Fame this summer?

Jenkins also dismisses Buffalo’s history. While the Bills can’t claim the Super Bowl titles of the 49ers in the 80’s, the Bills certainly have a prouder history from the early days.

From 1950-1980 the 49ers have only 3 division titles and four playoff appearances. Over that same span minus 10 years (Bills first AFL season was 1960) Buffalo had 3 division titles, 6 playoff appearances and a pair of AFL championships.

So please, please send this Jenkins character an email (bjenkins@sfchronicle.com) and set him straight. Tell him the 49ers history wasn’t worth much prior to Bill Walsh, isn’t any better than the Bills history in this decade right now and that he may want to look at the list for Canton this summer and realize O.J. and T.O. aren’t the only flamboyant stars in Bills franchise history.

I will be emailing this writer in a response to this article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../SP1D16CIK8.DTL

Ladies and gentlemen of Bills Nation, I have a humble request if you hold your native hometown and its football franchise sacred.

I'm surprised he did not call out the idiot that wrote the piece for the Providence, RI newspaper yesterday. In my opinion his statements and mistakes were worse.

Ladies and gentlemen of Bills Nation, I have a humble request if you hold your native hometown and its football franchise sacred. Many times Buffalo, and the Bills for that matter, have been denigrated by an assortment of sports writers over the years. It’s often an easy and convenient way for lazy journalists to fill space in their columns. And S.F. Chronicle writer Bruce Jenkins may be the most misinformed of them all.

In a T.O. signing spin-off column he proceeds to insult not only the city of Buffalo, but the history of the Bills franchise, claiming O.J. and T.O. are the only flamboyant stars in the team’s history. Sure he lists some names from Bills history in passing, but he dismisses Thurman Thomas and completely forgets Bruce Smith. Yup, Smith was not even mentioned.

You know, Bruce Smith, the league’s all-time sack leader, the guy that’s going into the Hall of Fame this summer?

Jenkins also dismisses Buffalo’s history. While the Bills can’t claim the Super Bowl titles of the 49ers in the 80’s, the Bills certainly have a prouder history from the early days.

From 1950-1980 the 49ers have only 3 division titles and four playoff appearances. Over that same span minus 10 years (Bills first AFL season was 1960) Buffalo had 3 division titles, 6 playoff appearances and a pair of AFL championships.

So please, please send this Jenkins character an email (bjenkins@sfchronicle.com) and set him straight. Tell him the 49ers history wasn’t worth much prior to Bill Walsh, isn’t any better than the Bills history in this decade right now and that he may want to look at the list for Canton this summer and realize O.J. and T.O. aren’t the only flamboyant stars in Bills franchise history.

If I had a list of 100 things to do, sending an email to some jerkoff who said some things about Buffalo, would fall in place at 101. Who cares.

If I had a list of 100 things to do, sending an email to some jerkoff who said some things about Buffalo, would fall in place at 101. Who cares.

Exactly. No matter what we do we will always be considered by most of the nation the arm pit of the country. We might as well embrace it.

I actually thought Jenkins was trying not to be insulting in his article. I think his point was that we're a solid franchise, but just never have had over-the-top, flamboyant stars. He might be wrong--but I don't think his intent was to impugn the Bills as a bad football team.

I would have to agree! This line pretty much sums up his arguments:

The Bills sort of enjoy being a small-market treasure built on solid football rather than flamboyance.

Email I just sent to him:

Hey Bruce,

Great article! I'm sure you've taken a lot of heat from Bills fans, but don't listen to them, I'm one of them. Sure, you alluded to Joe Cribbs without mentioning unarguably one of the top 5 defensive players in league history, but so what? Sure you said they're blander than the Cleveland Browns, Houston Texans, Chicago/St. Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, New Orleans Saints and didn't mention Thurman Thomas, who led the league in all-purpose yards for three consecutive years and got in on the first ballot, but hey, like I said, you are Bruce Jenkins, you obviously know what you're talking about. Winning four consecutive conference championships certainly makes a team bland and during those years, when they were setting league attendance records, one year after another, do you know what I was questioning about the team? Their flamboyancy! No flamboyancy, dammit! Now Joe (21 means 21) Montana- there was a flamboyant man. Now that you mention it, Jerry Rice was a little flamboyant himself. Ray Wersching was definitely the most flamboyant kicker in NFL history, no question. Again, great article Bruce. How you have a job writing about sports for a living and I'm stuck in a cubicle is one of life's great mysteries, but keep up the good work!

Hey Bruce,

Great article! I'm sure you've taken a lot of heat from Bills fans, but don't listen to them, I'm one of them. Sure, you alluded to Joe Cribbs without mentioning unarguably one of the top 5 defensive players in league history, but so what? Sure you said they're blander than the Cleveland Browns, Houston Texans, Chicago/St. Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, New Orleans Saints and didn't mention Thurman Thomas, who led the league in all-purpose yards for three consecutive years and got in on the first ballot, but hey, like I said, you are Bruce Jenkins, you obviously know what you're talking about. Winning four consecutive conference championships certainly makes a team bland and during those years, when they were setting league attendance records, one year after another, do you know what I was questioning about the team? Their flamboyancy! No flamboyancy, dammit! Now Joe (21 means 21) Montana- there was a flamboyant man. Now that you mention it, Jerry Rice was a little flamboyant himself. Ray Wersching was definitely the most flamboyant kicker in NFL history, no question. Again, great article Bruce. How you have a job writing about sports for a living and I'm stuck in a cubicle is one of life's great mysteries, but keep up the good work!

solid work

Hey Bruce,

Great article! I'm sure you've taken a lot of heat from Bills fans, but don't listen to them, I'm one of them. Sure, you alluded to Joe Cribbs without mentioning unarguably one of the top 5 defensive players in league history, but so what? Sure you said they're blander than the Cleveland Browns, Houston Texans, Chicago/St. Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, New Orleans Saints and didn't mention Thurman Thomas, who led the league in all-purpose yards for three four consecutive years and got in on the first second ballot, but hey, like I said, you are Bruce Jenkins, you obviously know what you're talking about. Winning four consecutive conference championships certainly makes a team bland and during those years, when they were setting league attendance records, one year after another, do you know what I was questioning about the team? Their flamboyancy! No flamboyancy, dammit! Now Joe (21 means 21) Montana- there was a flamboyant man. Now that you mention it, Jerry Rice was a little flamboyant himself. Ray Wersching was definitely the most flamboyant kicker in NFL history, no question. Again, great article Bruce. How you have a job writing about sports for a living and I'm stuck in a cubicle is one of life's great mysteries, but keep up the good work!

Fixed ...