Interesting Day for Cutler

Virgil

Following is some interesting info I noticed today about Cutler. I bring this up only cause we have spoken about him recently on this board.

The first thing is a link about how Cutler's meeting with the bosses went today. While it was supposed to be a coddle-fest, apparently it was exact opposite. Cutler was basically told that no one is untradeable and he expects to be traded before the draft. Also, he is debating whether or not to attend OTA's/

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

This second thing is an article Mel Kiper wrote. Maybe I haven't read enough Kiper, but I've never seen him go after anybody like this before. Kinda surprising to me.

Kiper: Cassel > Cutler

Cutler's complaining came about because the Denver Broncos tried to trade Cutler in a three-team deal that would have brought over Matt Cassel from New England. But when the trade fell through, Cutler started to complain.

2008: Best of Jay Cutler

NFL.com Video

Highlights of some of Jay Cutler's best moments in 2008.

Kiper says Cassel would have been an "upgrade" over Cutler and that Cutler is, to put it mildly, overrated.

"[Cutler] throws one pass, he's a Hall of Famer," Kiper says. "I've seen the media put him in the Hall of Fame. I had to run to the bathroom quick. It was making me ill. I've been hearing this overhype.

"This guy was overhyped at the combine, he was overhyped at Senior Bowl week, he's been overhyped before he was drafted. The media, they love Jay Cutler. Jay Cutler can do no wrong. I've been saying he's overrated since day one. Everyone's been pounding their chests saying, 'Oh, I love Jay Cutler, I'm a genius.' They have egg on their face now."

Kiper points out that Cutler has yet to lead the Broncos to a winning record or a playoff appearance. Also, Kiper says, "[Cutler] makes throws that leave you scratching your head, which I said on draft day when he was picked. Yeah, he's got a strong arm, but my daughter knew he had a strong arm. She could've written that report."

ESPN First Draft: 3/10

Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay tell Ryen Russillo all about players with buzz and those without it. Plus, the Scouts Inc. crew has a couple of mid-round steals for you to consider.

More Podcasts »

Kiper compares Cutler to Jeff George. "Jeff George had a great arm, and Jeff George had a lot of great games in this league, and people were putting Jeff George in the HOF early in his career," Kiper says. "So I'm just telling you, this is ridiculous."

Also, Cutler once said he had a better arm than John Elway. Not surprisingly, Kiper isn't a big fan of that comment, either. "So what? Who cares? Why would you make a comparison to John Elway? That could be taken like you're in a position to critique the quarterback that is a legend."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutler 4526 yards 25td's 18ints 86.0 rating

The guy is still young and he's good. Kiper's mad because he pegged him as a bust and now he's succesful.

I know he's young and probably ignorant, but that dude has a fuggin cannon and can make plays with his feet. Anybody remember that quasi-option Denver ran against the Bills in Week 1 two years ago? I'd take him any day.

I know he's young and probably ignorant, but that dude has a fuggin cannon and can make plays with his feet. Anybody remember that quasi-option Denver ran against the Bills in Week 1 two years ago? I'd take him any day.

He's exactly what Buffalo needs, not that we have a chance in hell, but I can't think of a team that would benefit more from a qb with a strong arm. And yeah I know JP had a strong arm and that didn't work out but Cutler wasn't in the movie Happy Feet.

I happen to agree with Kiper, that Cutler is, and has been, overhyped. Cutler does have talent, but he has a LONG way to go, to become a good QB.

I dont think you agree with Kiper comparing him to Jeff George do you Dean? Lets not be so selective in our support;)

I dont think you agree with Kiper comparing him to Jeff George do you Dean? Lets not be so selective in our support;)

No, I agree with what I said I agreed with: Cutler is, and has been, overhyped.

Jay Cutler was one of Mike Mayock's picks out of Vanderbuilt and my take is that Kiper can't wait to see Cutler fail so he can say " I told you so" like the baby he is.The kid was named SEC player of the year,at Vandy!

In his senior year at Vanderbilt they nearly upset the 13th-ranked Gators before falling 49–42 in the second overtime. Reflecting on Cutler's college career, former Denver Broncos safety John Lynch said, "If this guy can take a bunch of future doctors and lawyers and had them competing against the Florida Gators, this guy is a stud. Judy Battista (2006-12-31). "With Eye on Playoffs, Broncos Turn to Cutler". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/31/sports/f...amp;oref=slogin. Retrieved on 2006-12-31.

Cutler is a gunslinger type like Brett Farve, ranked in the top 5-10 current QB's,so Kiper is an idiot! If Josh McDaniels trades Cutler away he is the bigger Idiot. It wasn't Cutler that made the Bronco's so lousy,it was their horrific defense.

Personally I think Cassel will fail at Kansas City, the O line is no where near as good as the Patriots,so it should be fun watching Cassel get slammed to the ground every 5 drop backs, welcome to Trent Greens world of major concussions.

I think both Kiper and McShay read reports from the NFL scouts and post a variation of opinions, both are full of hyperbole and cliches, take note that both the ESPN nerds have Aaron Maybin as the 10th 11th ranked player and yet Mayock says his combine workout was horrid at 15 lbs heavier and is most likely a 2nd round player now. It will be interesting to see where he is drafted and what he develops into in the NFL.

I happen to agree with Kiper, that Cutler is, and has been, overhyped. Cutler does have talent, but he has a LONG way to go, to become a good QB.

Yep he has a great arm and had some great weapons to throw too (Royal, Marshall, Scheffler). He also had an offensive genius as a coach.

Definitely overrated IMO. As I said last week, give me Trent.

it would be nice to see people hold anaylsts like kiper accountable for all their bad picks/predictions. hes way over rated

Is that a fact?

What's his grade? And how does it compare to other draftniks and personnel guys? What's his batting average koolaid?

Opinion without quantitative proof. No one in scouting gets everything right.

Cutler has ridiculous talent. Last season, he was basically asked to carry his football team every week. They started something like 27 different running backs (/exaggeration), were successful offensively with their "Go To" guy in the first few games being a rookie second round draft choice, and their defense was beyond terrible.

He's a kid. He's like Jim Kelly was with the Houston Gamblers - just learning the game. If he continues to develop, he has Hall of Fame written all over him.

It just goes to show that everyone has their own opinion on everyone, I suppose Cutler getting to the pro bowl was over rated.

Anyway, In regards to Rex Ryan, didn't the guy inherit a great defense from Mike Nolan in 06, who in turn inherited a great defense from Marvin Lewis, both Nolan and Ryan were trained by Marvin Lewis. Lewis built that super bowl defense for the Ravens.The Ravens have had some amazing talent on that defense over the last 8 years. Wonder if the next DC will be as good as Ryan,Nolan or Lewis.

Since Brett Farve retired in NY and no really good back up FA brought in as of yet, I'll bet Ryan will be wishing he had Cutler "trying to throw a strawberry thru a battleship" on the Jets,whatever the heck that means.

Cassel had a great year. No doubt. But it was one year. We'll see if he really is the stud people are comparing Cutler and other QBs to. I say no.

Cutler on the other hand is a bit whiny and to much of a gunslinger for me. But he has tremendous abilities and like Alaska D. said he's just a kid still. Still learning, hopefully still moving forward.