Brandon Pettigrew vs Shawn Nelson

Excuse me, but don't the Bills already have a TE under development in Derek Fine? Why draft another player to have him take a year or two or more to develop? The bills need a player who can step in and make an immediate impact. Brandon Pettigrew continues to get my vote, irregardless of his 40 yard time. This guy won't get Edwards killed when he needs to stay in to block on pass plays, will do the job when Lynch and Jackson need a hole opened and can catch everything thrown to him. :D

from ProFootBall Weekly http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...+It/default.htm

Feb. 26, 2009 By Matt Sohn

Bills to play waiting game for TE upgrade

For the second consecutive offseason, tight end looms among the Bills’ most significant areas of need. After skimping on the position a year ago, the Bills can ill afford to ignore the deficiency again. But fans looking for the situation to be remedied soon after the commencement of free agency on Friday will be disappointed. Considering the Bills won’t be able to pry franchised TE Bo Scaife away from Tennessee or restricted TE Owen Daniels from Houston, Eagles perpetual injury risk L.J. Smith appears to be the only legitimate downfield threat in the veteran ranks, and his health problems render him a very dubious option. The draft, however, could provide an answer. The only first-round-caliber tight end is Oklahoma State’s Brandon Pettigrew, but his questionable vertical speed could keep the Bills from investing the 11th overall pick in him. That shouldn't be a problem considering Florida's Cornelius Ingram, Rice's James Casey and Missouri's Chase Coffman — the No. 2, 3 and 4 tight ends in Pro Football Weekly's 2009 Draft Guide — are a trio of accomplished pass catchers ripe for the picking in the second and third rounds. All three represent an upgrade over last year's starter, Robert Royal. Although Buffalo's difficulty opening consistent holes for its running backs in 2008 makes quality run-blocking a valued trait in prospective tight ends, we hear that the team is prioritizing pass-catching ability.

Just to give you guys a hint at what can happen when you all caught up in speed and potential, look at Vernon Davis of the 49ers.They drafted him to be another Antonio Gates and the guy isn't even close...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me, but don't the Bills already have a TE under development in Derek Fine? Why draft another player to have him take a year or two or more to develop? The bills need a player who can step in and make an immediate impact. Brandon Pettigrew continues to get my vote, irregardless of his 40 yard time. This guy won't get Edwards killed when he needs to stay in to block on pass plays, will do the job when Lynch and Jackson need a hole opened and can catch everything thrown to him. :D

from ProFootBall Weekly http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...+It/default.htm

Feb. 26, 2009 By Matt Sohn

Bills to play waiting game for TE upgrade

For the second consecutive offseason, tight end looms among the Bills’ most significant areas of need. After skimping on the position a year ago, the Bills can ill afford to ignore the deficiency again. But fans looking for the situation to be remedied soon after the commencement of free agency on Friday will be disappointed. Considering the Bills won’t be able to pry franchised TE Bo Scaife away from Tennessee or restricted TE Owen Daniels from Houston, Eagles perpetual injury risk L.J. Smith appears to be the only legitimate downfield threat in the veteran ranks, and his health problems render him a very dubious option. The draft, however, could provide an answer. The only first-round-caliber tight end is Oklahoma State’s Brandon Pettigrew, but his questionable vertical speed could keep the Bills from investing the 11th overall pick in him. That shouldn't be a problem considering Florida's Cornelius Ingram, Rice's James Casey and Missouri's Chase Coffman — the No. 2, 3 and 4 tight ends in Pro Football Weekly's 2009 Draft Guide — are a trio of accomplished pass catchers ripe for the picking in the second and third rounds. All three represent an upgrade over last year's starter, Robert Royal. Although Buffalo's difficulty opening consistent holes for its running backs in 2008 makes quality run-blocking a valued trait in prospective tight ends, we hear that the team is prioritizing pass-catching ability.

Just to give you guys a hint at what can happen when you all caught up in speed and potential, look at Vernon Davis of the 49ers.They drafted him to be another Antonio Gates and the guy isn't even close...

People aren't high on Pettigrew because he is a really good WORKOUT WARRIOR ala Vernon Davis that year. People are high on him because he is a really good FOOTBALL PLAYER, something that Davis didn't prove to be the majority of his time in college at Maryland which has carried over into his professional career after that ridiculous workout. Pettigrew isn't out there running 4.4, 4.5 40's at his size and dominating the bench reps at the same time. He's proving to be a very good pass catching tight end, with great strength, and the ability to block equally as well. It's unfair to compare him to a guy like Davis at this point.

Neither have a ton of production in college, which worries me. I'll stick to players that have done well, like Beckum and Coffman.

True. Although, Pettigrew did miss 4+ games due to injury last season, so if you pro-rate his statistics you'd be looking at 60+ catches and 700+ yards, to go along with 540 yards and 4 touchdowns as a junior. The zero touchdowns as a senior is a bit troubling though....

True. Although, Pettigrew did miss 4+ games due to injury last season, so if you pro-rate his statistics you'd be looking at 60+ catches and 700+ yards, to go along with 540 yards and 4 touchdowns as a junior. The zero touchdowns as a senior is a bit troubling though....

yes, good point, if he hadnt of been injured, then he has fantastic stats his last two years. All though as you mentioned the 0 T.D's his last year is a little strange. But he has a phenomenal vertical leap, good quickness and he has a huge frame, you got to believe that he will be a very good T.D target in the pro's.

Also, I liked the comment you made about him being a "Football Player" and not a "Work out Warrior". Sometimes lots of scouts and GM's become enthralled at a person's measurables: speed, strength etc. and they lose perspective in what is more important, and that is whether or not he can play football or not. Suggs and Davis are two perfect examples of that. Suggs was suppose to be the top player drafted or top three anyway, until he ran a slow forty and he dropped out of the top ten and the Ravens got one hell of a football player. Where Davis skyrocketed up the charts with his Amazing numbers and jumped into the top #10 and now is a below average TE.

There is no TE in the draft that can hold Coffman's jock when it comes to being a receiving TE. :D
Chase Coffman TE Missouri 6-6 244 2-3 injury 4.83 40 Ranked the # 59th overall player by NFLDraftscout.com http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospec...mp;start_row=51

Given a second-round grade last year by the NFL Advisory Committee and blessed with a combination of size, route-running and soft hands to emerge as an immediate NFL contributor, Coffman ranks as one of the elite pass-catchers of the 2009 draft. The 2008 Mackey Award winner finished with better production in just his senior campaign (90 receptions for 987 yards and 10 touchdowns) than some of his top-ranked competition enjoyed over their entire career. Despite his eye-popping production, Coffman isn't a player without warts. His already questionable speed has been lessened the past two years due to repeated foot injuries, including the broken toe that could keep him sidelined through the Combine.

Analysis

Positives: Rare size potential for the position. Athletic enough to line up in a variety of positions, including split out wide, in motion or along the line of scrimmage. Good initial quickness off the snap. Has the lateral agility to avoid the jam at the line and get a clean release into his route. Uses his hands well in this area to break free from defenders when initially challenged. Good lateral quickness and body control to gain separation from defenders. Good balance and body control to make the acrobatic reception with defenders draped over him. Can make the tough catch in traffic and looks to get upfield to gain extra yardage. Reliable hands. Generally looks the ball into his hands to make the secure reception, but will trap the ball against his body when he anticipates a big hit. More physical as a blocker than you'd expect for a tight end split wide as often as he is. Provides a good initial jolt to the defender when blocking and gives good effort to sustain his blocks. Emerged as a standout as a true freshman. Good bloodlines. Father, Paul Coffman, was an NFL tight end for 10 years.

Negatives: Only marginal straight-line speed. Not a true deep seam threat. Flashes the physicality and toughness scouts want in a downfield blocker, but rarely blocks from a traditional three-point stance. Legitimate durability concerns following repeated foot injuries the past two seasons. Struggled for much of his senior season with turf toe and broke the fifth metatarsal in his left bone on the final play of the Alama Bowl. Played through recurring bone spurs as a junior that eventually resulted in corrective surgery in the offseason.

Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma State 6-6 263 1-2 same 4.80 40

almost 20lbs heavier and slightly faster, Coffman can't block anywhere near the level of BP right now so he would be limited to passing plays where he doesn't need to block,don't the bills already have enough of these types of TE's?

Travis Beckum:

6'3" 243

4.6 40

most bench reps at the combine

900+ yards in his soph and junior years.

I like the prospects of Beckum.

great production and measurables. Definitely someone to consider if we don't go Pettigrew at the #11 spot. Injuries worry me a little bit.

Well, I see very few Bills' games - but it's been my understanding by listening to those who see plenty, that their TE has to pretty much be a blocker.

No?

It seems like the Bills will accept a limited receiver as long as they've got blocking ability.

One thing I can't forget about Nelson is watching him put Ray Maualuga on his back at the Senior Bowl drills. Nelson might not be the blocker Pettigrew is now-but he has the ability to become that.

I like the prospects of Beckum.

great production and measurables. Definitely someone to consider if we don't go Pettigrew at the #11 spot. Injuries worry me a little bit.

Honestly, there is no reason to not take him if he is there in the 3rd round. I'll take the risk that he could have a lot of injuries.

Pettigrew probably will not be there in the 2nd round. If the Bills use the 11th pick on a DE or LB then the likelyhood of getting Pettigrew is not good. He will most likely be the 1st TE off the board near the end of the 1st round.

Honestly I know Buffalo needs a TE but we need a pass rusher more. I would not want to see them use the 11th overall pick on Pettigrew and hear the analysts say "while Pettigrew is good we see it as a reach pick at No. 11"

Heath Miller in my view is a complete TE. I see Pettigrew being a better Heath Miller, and I'd be very happy to have a player like Miller.

I'm sorry, but you're nuts. Heath Miller actually has some speed. Miller was the go-to guy at UVa and provides a distinct passing threat in Pittsburgh.

If you read the report, the big weakness for Pettigrew is that he doesn't have speed or good route running ability. So basically, Robert Royal all over again

I'm sorry, but you're nuts. Heath Miller actually has some speed. Miller was the go-to guy at UVa and provides a distinct passing threat in Pittsburgh.

If you read the report, the big weakness for Pettigrew is that he doesn't have speed or good route running ability. So basically, Robert Royal all over again

Your definitely in the minority if you think Pettigrew and Royal are the same.

Also, and I'm just saying this for your sake, so you don't repeat looking silly again.

You might want to verify what you think before you type it. I'm just sayin

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...yers/57373.html

4.79 40 time for Heath Miller

Your right, he is much faster than Pettigrew :P

If you want to put things into perspective a little, at their respective combines Miller ran a 4.79 and Pettigrew ran a 4.87. So you're really splitting hairs there. Also, I personally think Pettigrew had a slow day for himself running and that he could drop that down into the low 4.7 range easily. There had been reports (accurate or not, who knows) of him running in the 4.5-4.6 range in the past, so who knows what could happen with his 40 time at his pro-day and beyond.

If you want to put things into perspective a little, at their respective combines Miller ran a 4.79 and Pettigrew ran a 4.87. So you're really splitting hairs there. Also, I personally think Pettigrew had a slow day for himself running and that he could drop that down into the low 4.7 range easily. There had been reports (accurate or not, who knows) of him running in the 4.5-4.6 range in the past, so who knows what could happen with his 40 time at his pro-day and beyond.

Heard the stopwatch was slightly slow at the combine, I'm guesing around 4.75-4.8 more likely.

Still think the ideal scenario is trade down to around 15-20, draft pettigrew there.

Based on projections, sould be some sack masters available in rd 2, even maybin's stock is falling. Might be able to trade up earlier and get him.

LB in rd 1 might be safer, but another offensive weapon would be huge.

Its been noted many times that he doesn't have Vernon Davis speed, but would you mind posting a link to the thread that states he isn't a good route runner, or is that just your opinion? If the latter would you mind stating which game he failed to run the routes properly.

The guys is a top 15 pick and will start for whichever team selects him. I'm hearing Atlanta wants to move up to grab him, just a rumor so I can't support that statement. But don't be surprised if he get taken before the 11th pick. I would think more then Just the Bills would like a player similar to Jason Witten.

If you read the weaknesses at the beginning of this thread, the main two are his speed and route running ability.

As for his 40 time, if that is the case, which i'm not saying it isn't. That is really surprising to me. Almost everything about him I read mentions his lack of speed, but I definitely think that Heath Miller is a solid overall TE. If they really are close in speed, then I withdrawal my comment about that.

I dunno, it just seems like everything I read about this kid has him as a bit of a trouble maker and more of a blocking TE than anything else.

And trust me, I want the Bills to have a good overall TE. But I don't want to see a first round pick go to waste. And, once again, everything I see would indicate that he's not worth an 11 overall pick. I've seen mocks where the Bills don't take him and he falls almost to the second round.

Hell no, we just signed TO remember :thumbsup: Yeah I think Pettigrew is going to be a really good TE but we need to go Defense in Rd 1 IMO. This year has a lot of good TEs to choose from...get one in round 2 or 3.

I'm with you. This draft is rich at TE, and the Bills have a young TE who might develop into something good, too. Obviously, Pettigrew would help the team, and I wouldn't complain if they took him.

But, I expect them to take a player like Orakpo or Raji, if either if available. If not, then they have to decide if an available DE (or perhaps LB) is worth taking at #11. They might try to trade down, but that is usually very difficult to do, if you want to get any real value. It may come down to deciding between Pettigrew and Maybin (or Ayers).

EDIT: For what it is worth, I hear the Bills have taken a liking to Chase Coffman...so, if they've targeted him, that would clear them up to go defensively in the 1st round.