Brandon Pettigrew vs Shawn Nelson

Most of us agree that we need a pass catching TE. From what I have read on Pettigrew he is more of a blocking TE. Why try for Pettigrew when we can get a good pass catching TE like Nelson in the 2nd round?

Here is their overview from www.draftcountdown.com

BRANDON PETTIGREW

Outstanding size with a large frame...Very long arms...Smooth and a good natural athlete...Has big soft hands and can make the difficult catch...Great strength...Excellent blocker in-line and in space...Stout at the point of attack and can anchor...Gets a good push in the run game...Really knows how to use his body...Powerful runner who can do some damage after the catch...Tough with a killer instinct and plays with a nasty demeanor...Has lots of experience... Still has some upside.

Weaknesses:

Average timed speed...Is not real quick or explosive...Motor runs hot and cold at times...Has room to improve as a route runner...Needs to work on his ball security...Not very elusive...Questionable football IQ ... Minor durability concerns ... Ran into some trouble off the field.

Notes:

A four-year starter for the Cowboys...Was arrested in January of 2008 and charged with felony assault and battery on a police officer but eventually pled guilty to guilty to misdemeanor assault and battery...Was hampered by an ankle injury as a senior and missed a few games...Earns high marks as both a pass catcher and blocker...Was not a featured weapon in the Cowboys passing attack and has more potential as a receiver than he was given an opportunity to showcase in college...Can be an extension of the offensive line and almost serve as an extra offensive tackle...May not be a dynamic downfield threat in the passing game like Kellen Winslow or Vernon Davis but is a much better blocker...Not real flashy and won't run a 4.4 but is one of the best all-around tight end prospects to come along in quite some time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics

Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD

2004 RS - - - -

2005 11 11 128 11.6 1

2006 13 24 310 12.9 4

2007 13 35 540 15.4 4

2008 10 42 472 11.2 0

Totals 47 112 1,450 12.9 9

SHAWN NELSON

Strengths:

Good height with a rangy build and long arms...Frame has room to add weight...A fantastic athlete...Good speed and quickness...Vertical threat who can stretch the field...Gets good separation...Excellent hands...Nice ball skills and body control...Can create after the catch...Tough...Technically sound and gives good effort as a blocker...Has a lot of experience...Very productive... Good bloodlines.

Weaknesses:

Needs to bulk up but has trouble maintaining weight...Is not very strong...Not a dominant in-line blocker and can be physically overwhelmed...A relatively average route runner...May have some minor durability concerns...Probably won't be a good fit for everyone.

Notes:

Cousin of former L.S.U. and current Kansas City Chiefs DT Glenn Dorsey...A four-year starter...Finished his college career ranked in the Golden Eagles Top 5 in career receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns...Saved the best for last and had a terrific senior campaign...Somewhat of a one-dimensional pass catcher who in many ways is a wide receiver in a tight ends body...Awfully similar to Martin Rucker of the Cleveland Browns (4th Round Pick in '08) , only better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics

Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD

2004 RS - - - -

2005 12 35 540 15.4 5

2006 14 36 506 14.1 3

2007 13 33 451 13.7 5

2008 13 53 557 10.5 3

Totals 52 157 2,054 13.1 16

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just believe that Pettigrew is a safer choice. More NFL ready than anyone in the draft in my view.

He will be able to play in running and throwing downs immediately, where as Nelson I would imagine would be involved in far few plays because of his liability as a blocker, at least initially.

Pettigrew undoubtedly will be an asset immediately on running situations, and presents a good, large, soft handed checkdown option that should be able to be implemented at the onset in passing situations.

What I have seen, he is quick and does have nimble feet for his size, and is not heavy footed.

Nelson you gotta believe will be more of a threat down field, has much better top end speed, who does have good hands. He is a very attractive option as a TE, if we are looking to open up the field down the middle.

Pettigrew as well is a very big target who could also fill that role as well, but just not with the top end speed that Nelson has.

Pettigrew I believe has more value, because he will be able to be a full time TE, where as Nelson, I don't see as being that option.

With the exception of Gonzalez what other TE are "complete" by that I mean how many are great blockers and receivers? usually they are either a good blocker and a decent receiver or a good receiver and a decent blocker. Maybe this is just my thought

Heath Miller in my view is a complete TE. I see Pettigrew being a better Heath Miller, and I'd be very happy to have a player like Miller.

Heath Miller in my view is a complete TE. I see Pettigrew being a better Heath Miller, and I'd be very happy to have a player like Miller.

Like the comparison. Being a good two-way tight end seems like it has become a bit of a lost art in the NFL, and Miller is one of the few that possess those types of abilities currently in the NFL. Pettigrew seems like he is a bigger Miller with equal or more athleticism. Sounds like just what the doctor ordered for this offense now that we have our wide receiver corps rounded out, two very good running backs, and hopefully by September, an improved offensive line and quarterback. Fingers crossed.

Mike Mayock has Pettigrew the #1 TE and has him rated as the #8 best player overall in the draft, and states he is "old school" just like the Cowboys Jason Witten, man that statement says it all to me. Can the Bills use a TE like Jason Witten, I'd say, heck yeah!

I watched the guy in the combine,senior bowl and the OSU bowl game, he caught everything thrown close to him,he will start immediately in the NFL. all the other TE's in the draft will need time to develop.

only TE to get a 5 star grade in the NFL draft from scout.com http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&amp...056&yr=2009

Pettigrew is a big, physical tight end who can dominate an opponent at the line of scrimmage and in the open field. He has prototypical size and is a tremendous athlete. He’s quick off the line, moves well laterally and uses his strength and hands to his advantage in blocking situations. He provides a quarterback with confidence as he sets up nicely in an open area and flashes strong, reliable hands. - Chris Steuber, Scout.com

Mike Mayock's top 20 players for the 2009 NFL Draft http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d...mp;confirm=true

Rk Player Pos. School Pro Day workout

1 Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest March 23

2 Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech March 12 (will not run due to foot injury)

3 Jason Smith OT Baylor Brandt: Smith attracts many scouts

4 Brian Orakpo DE/LB Texas March 25

5 Eugene Monroe OT Virginia March 19

6 Matthew Stafford QB Georgia March 19

7 Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia March 19

8 Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma State March 11

9 Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri March 5

10 Mark Sanchez QB USC April 1

11 B.J. Raji DT Boston College March 12

12 Robert Ayers DE Tennessee March 11

13 Andre Smith OT Alabama March 11

14 Percy Harvin WR Florida March 15

15 Brian Cushing LB USC April 1

16 Donald Brown RB Connecticut March 25

17 Tyson Jackson DE LSU March 16

18 Peria Jerry DT Mississippi March 26

19 Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State March 13

20 Josh Freeman QB Kansas State March 12

I'll have to agree with Mayock as Curry as the #1 pick overall,the guy will start on day one and be another Patrick Willis.

I am in the camp that the quicker the Bills can get away from worrying about the TE as a pass catcher the better. I think clearly after we finally got a #2 WR with the on field output that TO has had the last three years, the model for the Bills to follow is an east-coast version of the WR pass-happy Rams. The foul winter weather here and the outdoor stadium force the team to be able to run the ball a lot, but just as St L routinely had a TE with one or two receptions so too should the Bills use the TE as an additional blocker to give Edwards the time to check down from Evans to Owens to Parrish to Reed (with Johnson competing and stirring the pot) and not get our panties all up in a wad thinking that a rookie is definitely going to be a savior for this team.

If we are really gonna use the TE a lot then the deal should be to get a proven commodity like a Gonzo rather than a rookie who is 50/50 to even be a starter in his first year and may take a couple before he learns the pro game and then one day becomes a star. Even worse, it TE is gonna be so important then we need 2 as a Plan B is critical in todays NFL.

Mike Mayock has Pettigre the #1 TE and has him rated as the #8 best player overall in the draft, and states he is "old school" just like the Cowboys Jason Witten, man that statement says it all to me. Can the Bills use a TE like Jason Witten, I'd say, heck yeah!

Hell no, we just signed TO remember :D Yeah I think Pettigrew is going to be a really good TE but we need to go Defense in Rd 1 IMO. This year has a lot of good TEs to choose from...get one in round 2 or 3.

Mike Mayock has Pettigre the #1 TE and has him rated as the #8 best player overall in the draft, and states he is "old school" just like the Cowboys Jason Witten, man that statement says it all to me. Can the Bills use a TE like Jason Witten, I'd say, heck yeah!

I watched the guy in the combine,senior bowl and the OSU bowl game, he caught everything thrown close to him,he will start immediately in the NFL. all the other TE's in the draft will need time to develop.

only TE to get a 5 star grade in the NFL draft from scout.com http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&amp...056&yr=2009

Pettigrew is a big, physical tight end who can dominate an opponent at the line of scrimmage and in the open field. He has prototypical size and is a tremendous athlete. He’s quick off the line, moves well laterally and uses his strength and hands to his advantage in blocking situations. He provides a quarterback with confidence as he sets up nicely in an open area and flashes strong, reliable hands. - Chris Steuber, Scout.com

Mike Mayock's top 20 players for the 2009 NFL Draft http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d...mp;confirm=true

Rk Player Pos. School Pro Day workout

1 Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest March 23

2 Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech March 12 (will not run due to foot injury)

3 Jason Smith OT Baylor Brandt: Smith attracts many scouts

4 Brian Orakpo DE/LB Texas March 25

5 Eugene Monroe OT Virginia March 19

6 Matthew Stafford QB Georgia March 19

7 Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia March 19

8 Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma State March 11

9 Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri March 5

10 Mark Sanchez QB USC April 1

11 B.J. Raji DT Boston College March 12

12 Robert Ayers DE Tennessee March 11

13 Andre Smith OT Alabama March 11

14 Percy Harvin WR Florida March 15

15 Brian Cushing LB USC April 1

16 Donald Brown RB Connecticut March 25

17 Tyson Jackson DE LSU March 16

18 Peria Jerry DT Mississippi March 26

19 Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State March 13

20 Josh Freeman QB Kansas State March 12

I'll have to agree with Mayock as Curry as the #1 pick overall,the guy will start on day one and be another Patrick Willis.

Wow. That shut me up. Great post!

Hell no, we just signed TO remember :D Yeah I think Pettigrew is going to be a really good TE but we need to go Defense in Rd 1 IMO. This year has a lot of good TEs to choose from...get one in round 3 or 4.

there is no doubt that in my view this is the deepest pool of promising prospects for TE's in this year's draft. That for me is the biggest reason why I would consider not picking Pettigrew with the #11 pick.

having said that, I wouldn't want to pick any other Defensive lineman with the #11 pick, other than Brown, Orapko, Raji and maybe Larry English. I would hate to reach for the sake of a need, and end up getting a bust or project player when we could pick up a stud in Pettigrew.

I think the issue really boils down to whether the Bills want more of a blocking or receiving TE. If the offensive line can raise their level of play from last year, I would love to be able to have another option for Edwards. With TO and Evans the center of the field should open up for quick hits or slants to Parrish, Jackson/Lynch or a more athletic TE. The offense actually has a chance to score some points and take some of the pressure of the defense.

I believe we need Pettigrew at #11. When the weather gets cold and sloppy you need a tight end to help the running game. The other TE's might stretch the field better but you dont play in nice weather all year. Hopefully DE's Ayers or English might be available in round 2.

Your polite comments are welcome. :D

I believe we need Pettigrew at #11. When the weather gets cold and sloppy you need a tight end to help the running game. The other TE's might stretch the field better but you dont play in nice weather all year. Hopefully DE's Ayers or English might be available in round 2.

Your polite comments are welcome. :D

Like your thinking. Although, I think there's a good chance that Pettigrew can fall into the #15-25 range, so a trade up would be ideal in this scenario in order to put ourselves in better position to draft an English, Ayers, Maybin, etc with our 2nd pick. This being in a perfect world, of course.

Like your thinking. Although, I think there's a good chance that Pettigrew can fall into the #15-25 range, so a trade up would be ideal in this scenario in order to put ourselves in better position to draft an English, Ayers, Maybin, etc with our 2nd pick. This being in a perfect world, of course.

Actually this would be ideal in a perfect world. Pettigrew most likely would be available in that range. If we were to be able to trade down, we could acquire an additional pick.

However I don't believe Ayers or English will be available in the second round. With that additional pick, we could look to trade back into the 1st round and get one of those players.